#1   Report Post  

Red face Patio Audio System - help with ohms

This is for an outdoor (backyard around the pool and patio) audio system.

I did not realize when I purchased two pair of speakers that they were different ohm ratings. Can I still use them on the same system?

I have a 6 channel Pioneer receiver (600 watt max) and a pair of Bose 151 outdoor speakers (4 ohms - 80 watts max) and KLH outdoor speakers (8 ohms - 150 wats max).

What are the consequences of using both pairs of speakers, although mismatched together?
  #2   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperxs10
This is for an outdoor (backyard around the pool and patio) audio system.

I did not realize when I purchased two pair of speakers that they were different ohm ratings. Can I still use them on the same system?

I have a 6 channel Pioneer receiver (600 watt max) and a pair of Bose 151 outdoor speakers (4 ohms - 80 watts max) and KLH outdoor speakers (8 ohms - 150 wats max).

What are the consequences of using both pairs of speakers, although mismatched together?
Depends on what you're doing. I assume the Pioneer is for a surround home theater set up. These receivers typically don't have very rugged power amplifier sections. Your outdoor application is probably for use of the receivers 2 main front stereo channels. The Pioneer isn't going to like a 4 ohm load very much, let alone a 2.66 ohm load if you wire the Bose & KLH's together. Maybee for lower background listening, but forget about cranking it. Pick up a nice rugged used 2 channel power amp for the outdoor system and let the Pioneer work for the home theater environment.