Prometheus

Default Bose Comment. Prev was Bose 901 Review

"Logan Shaw" wrote in message
Peter Sammon wrote:
You call me a troll. You, sir, are wrong. Remember, important advances

such
as Bose technology are ALWAYS contriversial.

Name one thing Bose invented.

Did'nt they invent worldwide mass-marketing for a sub-standard loudspeaker?

I would guess'ti'mate that by their advertising that the name has more
recognition among the general public than any other.

Scott Dorsey

Prometheus wrote:

Did'nt they invent worldwide mass-marketing for a sub-standard loudspeaker?

No way. Motiograph did this decades before.

Phread

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message
In a vast crossposting onto the following innocent newsgroups:
rec.audio.tubes,
rec.audio.pro,
rec.audio.misc,
Peter Sammon wrote:

He posted it to rec.audio.tech too. So far, not a single response. Hmmm...

Phread

Pooh Bear

Prometheus wrote:

"Logan Shaw" wrote in message
Peter Sammon wrote:
You call me a troll. You, sir, are wrong. Remember, important advances

such
as Bose technology are ALWAYS contriversial.

Name one thing Bose invented.

Did'nt they invent worldwide mass-marketing for a sub-standard loudspeaker?

I would guess'ti'mate that by their advertising that the name has more
recognition among the general public than any other.

Very sad and likely very true.

By chance, I was visiting a small local industrial estate the other day and
passed by a large electrical / electronic retail warehouse.

Amongst the respectable brand names prominently placed on the facade was indeed
Bose !

shrugs shoulders

Graham

Bob Hedberg

Default Bose 901 Review

Well, there is some truth to that.

I got a pair of bad Bose 301's at a salvation army store.
I pulled out the woofers, which had bad surrounds, and found the
problem in one of the speakers, the sand cast resistor which made up
the single resistor/cap crossover had broken open somehow.
I discarded the components and woofers, disconnected the tweeter, and
mounted a rat-shack full range 8 inch speaker in the woofer hole (the
older better ones).
A little poly fill was added.
The speakers were then set up on their sides, with the bass port
firing downward onto my shop table, and the things actually sounded
pretty good with varous classic and homebuilt tube amps!

I eventally added a little damar to the cones, which smoothed out the
peakiness somewhat.

So I guess I could say the cabinets were pretty good, once everything
else was removed ; ).

Bob H.

Peter Sammon wrote:

"Tim Williams" wrote in news:1027nfhh3o9q8c1
:

So why the hell is it here on RAT.

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

"Peter Sammon" wrote in message
http://www.epinions.com/content_105506836100

In 1968...snip huge nef

It's a well known engineering fact that audiophile quality speakers such as
the 901s work well on tube amplifiers.

Cheers!

Bob H.

Just grab that plate in one hand, the chassis in the other,
and FEEL the power of tube audio!!!
(not literally, of course, just kidding. DON'T DO THAT!)
Rich Andrews

Bob Hedberg wrote in
:

Peter Sammon wrote:

"Tim Williams" wrote in news:1027nfhh3o9q8c1
:

So why the hell is it here on RAT.

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

"Peter Sammon" wrote in message
http://www.epinions.com/content_105506836100

In 1968...snip huge nef

It's a well known engineering fact that audiophile quality speakers such

as
the 901s work well on tube amplifiers.

Cheers!

Bob H.

Just grab that plate in one hand, the chassis in the other,
and FEEL the power of tube audio!!!
(not literally, of course, just kidding. DON'T DO THAT!)

Golly! That is like saying that once the drivetrain and frame was
replaced, the Ford Pino actually performed like a car.

William Sommerwerck

I eventally added a little damar to the cones, which smoothed
out the peakiness somewhat.

Wasn't Damar a chesty blonde back in the '50s? She certainly wouldn't have
reduced "peakiness."

Rich Andrews

"Arny Krueger" wrote in
:

For serious listening, if that's possible at all with a speaker with so

many
inherent flaws, 901s should be used with a competent subwoofer.

Add a good tweeter and maybe a good midrange and then you might have
something.

Jon Yaeger

I bought a pair of Boze 501s from a thrift store, and promptly put them on
eBay after a good listen.

However, my car came stock with a Bose sound system. I don't know if they
made the radio, but it's FM section beats every other receiver that I have
tried in its ability to receive one faint (and favorite) station clearly.

In fact, I was thinking about going to the salvage yard getting another just
like it so I could receive the station at home . . . .

The Bose auto application sounds quite good. It's apparent that the system
has been equalized for the passenger section, because the same source
material often ounds quite different when played at home.

My point? Maybe Bose does a few things well . . .

From: Rich Andrews
Newsgroups: rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:33:38 -0000
Subject: Bose 901 Review

"Arny Krueger" wrote in
:

For serious listening, if that's possible at all with a speaker with so

many
inherent flaws, 901s should be used with a competent subwoofer.

Add a good tweeter and maybe a good midrange and then you might have
something.

Arny Krueger

"Rich Andrews" wrote in message
.44
"Arny Krueger" wrote in
:

For serious listening, if that's possible at all with a speaker with
so many inherent flaws, 901s should be used with a competent
subwoofer.

Add a good tweeter and maybe a good midrange and then you might have
something.

LOL!

Arny Krueger

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

I eventally added a little damar to the cones, which smoothed
out the peakiness somewhat.

Wasn't Damar a chesty blonde back in the '50s? She certainly wouldn't
have reduced "peakiness."

You mean "Dagmar"?

http://www.life.com/Life/covers/1951/cv071651.html

Note, post push-up bra, pre-silicon "chesty".

Fletis Humplebacker

"Phil Allison"

"William Sommerwerck"

He is the self-appointed leader of many NG lunch mobs.

Hmmm... Where do they eat?

** Typos do amuse some.

....... Phil

Especially when they are made with such bravado.

Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 15:02:18 GMT

On 2004-02-08 said:
Most of us have a body of work to back up our words.

** Septic Tank ****wits like the one above are obsessed with a
phoney notion called "cred".

Hmmm, I see newsgroup pollution has once again increased in
rec.audio.pro with the appearance of this troll.

Should have known it, a thread on Bose and this creature as well. I
thought something smelled pretty bad in here lately.

Richard Webb
Electric Spider Productions
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

A: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 23:27:30 GMT

On 2004-02-08 said:
Hmmm, I see newsgroup pollution has once again increased in
rec.audio.pro with the appearance of this troll.
Should have known it, a thread on Bose and this creature as well.
I thought something smelled pretty bad in here lately.

Sir, I am but a humble audiophile attempting to enlighten my fellow
audiophiles about the latest advanced audio technology, engineering
and beautiful music played to it's most realistic on Bose speakers.
You call me a troll. You, sir, are wrong. Remember, important
advances such as Bose technology are ALWAYS contriversial.

wasn't referring to y ou but a certain creature from Australia.
However I'd advise you this is the wrong newsgroup.

WE don't give a rat's ass about your audiophool bull****, we're the
guys that produce the music, and you won't see much BOse crap in the
recording studio.

AS it has often been said:

"No highs, no lows, must be bose."
Now take this crap to rec.audio.high-end or some other bogus place
please.

KNew I smelled bull****, got a good clue that's what I was smelling
when I saw Bose in the subject lines of a bunch of articles on this
and the alt.audio.pro.live-sound group.

Plunk.

Richard Webb
Electric Spider Productions
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their
level then beat you with experience.

DeserTBoB

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:19:17 -0500, Will Brink

Peter Sammon wrote:

It's a well known engineering fact that audiophile quality speakers such as
the 901s work well on tube amplifiers. snip

What a line of horse ****!

Nothing Bose makes is audiophile quality. The take outdated design, use
ultra cheap materials, and market to people who fall for the pseudo
science talk. A dead cat sounds better and is better made. snip

Now, THERE'S the truth. Amar Bose developed one of the leading fraud
houses of audio. People with ANY knowledge base at all laugh at
anything with the Bose label. Want to know where he got the idea for
the ill sounding 901? Look back in a 1948 issue of Radio magazine at
their article about the "sweet sixteen" homebrew speaker, where a guy
fills up a box with 16 cheap 4" speakers rather than spend the money
on a good 15" driver. Some guys at Hammond Organ Corporation read
that same article and loaded up a tombstone shaped box full of cheap
10" drivers rather than use good 15"s, and got similarly horrid
results back in late 1948. Of course, the premise didn't work in '48,
didn't work when the 901 was introduced, and doesn't work now. And
remember....

"Got no highs? Got no lows! Only midrange....MUST BE BOSE!"

dB
William Sommerwerck

It's a well-known engineering fact that audiophile-quality speakers
such as the 901s work well on tube amplifiers. snip

This was a joke. Sarcasm does not read well on Usenet.

Now, THERE'S the truth. Amar Bose developed one of the leading
fraud houses of audio. People with ANY knowledge base at all laugh
at anything with the Bose label. Want to know where he got the idea
for the ill-sounding 901? Look back in a 1948 issue of Radio magazine
at their article about the "sweet sixteen" homebrew speaker, where
a guy fills up a box with 16 cheap 4" speakers rather than spend the
money on a good 15" driver.

The "Sweet 16" article actually appeared in Popular Electronics in the early
'60s, at least five years before the 901 hit the market.

The gestation of the 901 was via the 2201, an attempt to produce a "perfect
point-source" speaker. Dr. Thomas Stockham, the founder of Soundstream, worked
with Dr. Bose on the design, providing digital signal processing that "proved" a
properly equalized (???) array of drivers could subjectively reproduce sound in
a way that was indistinguishable from a perfect * point source at the same
position in the listening room. There's a Web article explaining the design
process, but I can't find the URL. This is the closest I can find...

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/stockham.html

Only a few 2201s were sold. (Julian Hirsch gave it a rave review.) Their sound
displeased Dr. Bose, mostly because it seemed too bright (even though it
measured flat). ** This suggested bouncing most of the sound off the wall, to
smooth and soften it. The business about the "optimum" concert-hall ratio of
reflected-to-direct sound is, as far as I know, an ex-post-facto justification.

"Got no highs? Got no lows! Only midrange... MUST BE BOSE!"

The "principles" on which the 901 is designed (other than the use of
equalization) are all technically or aesthetically invalid, and the speaker's
poor sound is proof of this. However, the lack of frequency extremes is no proof
of poor sound quality. The original QUAD electrostatic has an anemic low end,
but is still considered an outstanding speaker. When people criticize the 901s
for "no highs, no lows," they are criticizing it for the wrong reason.

* "Perfect" in this context means not only in terms of point-source dispersion,
but sonic accuracy.

** I don't know whether Dr. Bose asked himself whether this was due to the
recordings, or bothered to make his own live recordings, to try to get a feel
for where the problem lay.

TonyP

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
When people criticize the 901s
for "no highs, no lows," they are criticizing it for the wrong reason.

If it was only supposed to be a mid-range speaker I would agree. However it
is sold with an equaliser as a full range speaker, so one should expect some
highs and some lows.

I wonder what you think the right reason for criticizing it is then. Poor
efficiency, poor dynamics, high distortion, peaky response, or something
else?

Whilst the "no highs, no lows, must be bose", is true, it's still a joke,
and not meant to convey the full extent of it's limitations.

TonyP.

William Sommerwerck

When people criticize the 901s for "no highs, no
lows," they are criticizing it for the wrong reason.

Whilst the "no highs, no lows, must be bose", is true, it's still a
joke, and not meant to convey the full extent of its limitations.

If it was only supposed to be a mid-range speaker I would agree.
However it is sold with an equaliser as a full range speaker, so
one should expect some highs and some lows.

I wonder what you think the right reason for criticizing it is then.
Poor efficiency, poor dynamics, high distortion, peaky response,
or something else?

1. Simply flattening the amplitude response of a mediocre driver will not enable
it to equal the sound quality of a well-engineered driver with similar response.

2. Bouncing the sound off the wall to produce a sense of spaciousness is
aesthetically invalid when the recording itself is supposed to contain the
original acoustics. This effect might be fine for mono recordings, but it is
antithetical to a well-engineered stereo or surround recording.

3. I owned the original 901 and have not heard the later versions. However, it
was not particularly clean, especially at high levels.

4. If you're going to equalize the drivers, wouldn't it have made more sense to
overdamp them, so that only a 6dB•/8ve boost (though admittedly over a wider
range) were required, as KLH did with their portables?

Along those lines... I owned a KLH Model 11 FM before I bought my first "good"
system, which included Bose 901s. My initial reaction in comparing the two was
that, overall, the 901s didn't represent any real improvement over the portable
in terms of transparency, detail, coloration, etc. Which shouldn't have been
surprising, as both used small full-range drivers (though from different
manufacturers, of course).

Scott Dorsey

When people criticize the 901s for "no highs, no
lows," they are criticizing it for the wrong reason.

Whilst the "no highs, no lows, must be bose", is true, it's still a
joke, and not meant to convey the full extent of its limitations.

That's why the complete phrase is "No highs, no lows, sound really blows,
must be Bose." It's the "sound really blows" part that you are missing.

TCS

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 00:07:53 -0800, DeserTBoB wrote:

Now, THERE'S the truth. Amar Bose developed one of the leading fraud
houses of audio. People with ANY knowledge base at all laugh at

Never ascribe to malice what can be as easily explained by ignorance and
stupidity.

Bose is market driven. They've discovered that they can sell **** and people
will lap it up. Choice 1: expensive to make quality speaker. Choice 2:
garbage wrapped in slick marketing with a far higher profit margin. They've
obviously picked choice 2 and I don't think the reason has any malice to it.
They're simply out to make a buck and if idiots don't care what they buy then
why should bose?
DeserTBoB

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 01:12:15 +1100, "TonyP"
wrote:

I wonder what you think the right reason for criticizing it is then. Poor
efficiency, poor dynamics, high distortion, peaky response, or something
else? snip

All of the above, and more. The "direct/reflective" thing was
pseudoscience at its worst...a gimmick. One problem with the Bose
things is Doppler distortion...something Bose doesn't even admit
exists.

Whilst the "no highs, no lows, must be bose", is true, it's still a joke,
and not meant to convey the full extent of it's limitations. snip

I first heard that joke back in the '60s. Although it doesn't really
get to the crux of the 901's (and other Bose abominations') problems,
it's a cute ditty!

dB
DeserTBoB

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 06:42:08 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

2. Bouncing the sound off the wall to produce a sense of spaciousness is
aesthetically invalid when the recording itself is supposed to contain the
original acoustics. This effect might be fine for mono recordings, but it is
antithetical to a well-engineered stereo or surround recording. snip

On monaural, it'd be the equivalent of "electronic stereo" of the
early '60s...in other terms, a fraud, by any other name.

3. I owned the original 901 and have not heard the later versions. However, it
was not particularly clean, especially at high levels. snip

Doppler distortion, plus the fact that the Bose's crappy efficiency
made it work amplifiers of those days to death, similar to the AR
"heat sinks."

4. If you're going to equalize the drivers, wouldn't it have made more sense to
overdamp them, so that only a 6dB•/8ve boost (though admittedly over a wider
range) were required, as KLH did with their portables? snip

Exactly. KLH had quite a bit of success with that idea, and is, at
least subjectively, was more valid that Bose's "sweet 16" nightmare.
Pound for pound, KLH had a lot more success with exploring the "big
sound in a small box" idea than Bose ever did.

Along those lines... I owned a KLH Model 11 FM before I bought my first "good"
system, which included Bose 901s. My initial reaction in comparing the two was
that, overall, the 901s didn't represent any real improvement over the portable
in terms of transparency, detail, coloration, etc. Which shouldn't have been
surprising, as both used small full-range drivers (though from different
manufacturers, of course). snip

The KLH 11 was easily as good at overall fidelity as a set of 901s,
I'd hazard to guess. What was intersting about 901s was hearing an
album for the first time on a set of them, and then hearing it on a
set of real loudspeakers, and the conflict of impressions you'd get
between the two presentations. Of course, any of the acoustic (real
or electronic) impressions included in the album would be obliterated
by the 901s, thus giving a false impression of the final result.

dB
William Sommerwerck

The KLH 11 was easily as good at overall fidelity as a set of 901s,
I'd hazard to guess. What was intersting about 901s was hearing an
album for the first time on a set of them, and then hearing it on a
set of real loudspeakers, and the conflict of impressions you'd get
between the two presentations. Of course, any of the acoustic (real
or electronic) impressions included in the album would be obliterated
by the 901s, thus giving a false impression of the final result.

In "fairness" (!!!), the 901s can be mightily impressive. (I worked in a store
that sold them.) As J. Gordon Holt put it, the 901s can sound like "the truth
and the light," while all the other speakers are just piddling around.

Non-electrostatic speaker systems of 35 years ago weren't anywhere nearly as
good as they are today, so the perceived difference between them and the 901s
(in terms of fidelity) was not as great as it is today. The KLH "full-range"
driver is actually the tweeter -- with a much more compliant surround and bigger
magnet -- used in many KLH two- and three-way systems.

Gene Sweeny

TCS wrote:
Bose is market driven. They've discovered that they can sell ****

and people
will lap it up. Choice 1: expensive to make quality speaker. Choice

2:
garbage wrapped in slick marketing with a far higher profit margin.

They've
obviously picked choice 2 and I don't think the reason has any malice

to it.
They're simply out to make a buck and if idiots don't care what they

buy then
why should bose?

Bravo. Nail hit, dead on.

Just go to your local Shircuit Shhhh*ty and check the build quality
out. In particular see if you can find a set of 601s. Man, the wood
they are made out of is worse than the stuff in Sauder furniture. The
drivers look like the stuff found in clock radios and cheap intercom
units.

Complete Crap.

There are lots of cheap consumer speakers out there, but I'd put just
about any brand up against B*se. Polk, Infinity, Paradigm, CV,
anything. They are at least trying to give the conumer more than a
peice of junk.

--
8k rules

DeserTBoB

On 24 Dec 2004 17:51:19 -0800, "Gene Sweeny"
wrote:

Polk, Infinity, Paradigm, CV snip

Well, knowing some of Gene Cerwinski's antics in the '70s, I'd say
yes, he WAS trying to give customers more than a piece of junk. They
got a piece of junk and a ****LOAD of hype!

Out of caps for crossovers? Just run down to Factor's Surplus in
Burbank and scoop a bunch of crap of ANY kind out of the surplus bins
and throw 'em in there! At least he wasn't as "preachy" about how
scientifically engineered his Cerwin-Vega crap was. It was junk, but
LOUD junk, and he'd admit it.

dB
TonyP

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
That's why the complete phrase is "No highs, no lows, sound really blows,
must be Bose." It's the "sound really blows" part that you are missing.

That's a newer addition I think. Sound really sucks just doesn't fit :-)

TonyP.

TonyP

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Is there a reason why you deliberately jumbled the context of my post I
wonder?
You simply agree that it sucks from what I read.

TonyP.

DeserTBoB

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:18:49 +1100, "TonyP"
wrote:

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
That's why the complete phrase is "No highs, no lows, sound really blows,
must be Bose." It's the "sound really blows" part that you are missing.

That's a newer addition I think. Sound really sucks just doesn't fit :-) snip

The way I always heard it from the '60s was:

"Got now highs? Got no lows! Only midrange...MUST BE BOSE!"

....but the "sound blows" idea's quite pertinent.

dB

William Sommerwerck

"TonyP" wrote

Is there a reason why you deliberately jumbled the
context of my post I wonder?
You simply agree that it sucks from what I read.

I rearranged it, not to misrepresent what you wrote, but because I wanted my
response to appear in a specific order.

TCS

wrote:

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
That's why the complete phrase is "No highs, no lows, sound really blows,
must be Bose." It's the "sound really blows" part that you are missing.

That's a newer addition I think. Sound really sucks just doesn't fit :-) snip

The way I always heard it from the '60s was:

"Got now highs? Got no lows! Only midrange...MUST BE BOSE!"

...but the "sound blows" idea's quite pertinent.

Bose has plenty of lows -- that's what idiots find so impressive. They
never notice that it's all the same bass note. Listen to a bass solo
on bose and you'll notice how the response goes up and down 20db depending
how close it's to the resonent frequency.
Scott Dorsey

wrote:

Polk, Infinity, Paradigm, CV snip

Well, knowing some of Gene Cerwinski's antics in the '70s, I'd say
yes, he WAS trying to give customers more than a piece of junk. They
got a piece of junk and a ****LOAD of hype!

I remember being given a pair of C-V cabinets for showing some films a
couple years ago. Off-axis they were boomy but okay... on-axis they were
very clangy and ringy. We wound up putting a 1" line of gaffer tape across
the center of the horn and they sounded a good bit cleaner after that. How
anyone can sell junk like this is beyond me, because it wouldn't really take
much engineering to improve them considerably.

DeserTBoB

On 25 Dec 2004 10:59:51 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I remember being given a pair of C-V cabinets for showing some films a
couple years ago. Off-axis they were boomy but okay... on-axis they were
very clangy and ringy. We wound up putting a 1" line of gaffer tape across
the center of the horn and they sounded a good bit cleaner after that. How
anyone can sell junk like this is beyond me, because it wouldn't really take
much engineering to improve them considerably. snip

Cerwinski was in for the BIG profit. He knew that the guys up on
Balboa Ave. (JBL) could outengineer him anyday of the week, but he
didn't care. His premise was that of finding a market, hyping it to
death, and providing garbage to serve that market based on a pricing
point, the arguement being, "Hey, my stuff's a clean as their stuff
for a LOT less money!" Of course, that was a baldfaced lie, but
people bought it in much the same way they buy Bose crap.

I think I knew the systems you're referring to...an aluminum capped 15
with that trademark red foam surround and a cheesy $10 radial horn
with a crap driver that would've made a Jensen look good. They were
abyssmal indeed...laden with beaming, distortion of all kinds and
rattles and leaks. But, they could take a hell of a beating from bad
amps of the era like the "Flames In-Your-Ear" 700 watt disaster by Bob
Carver, so, they sold.

In all my years of being exposed to their crap, I NEVER heard anything
CV put out that sounded even remotely "high fidelity," or even
"mid-fi" enough for good SR or PA work. It was just junk, pure and
simple.

dB
west

@corp.supernews.com:

So why the hell is it here on RAT.

Tim

big snip
Bose spends ~ 85% of its budget on advertising.
west

DeserTBoB

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 11:32:30 -0500, "Jodster"
wrote:

As posted in other threads Bose are ****e and Bose buyers are too proud to
admit their mistake. http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html snip

Same goes for Monster Cable buyers and buyers of other incredibly
hilarious "audio accessories", like those stupid cones. If people
only knew how ridiculous they look! Biggest laugher yet: "Vibration
of transistors by sound waves causes distortion!"

dB
Scott Dorsey

Jodster wrote:

I remember a flame war that went on here last year between some loser that
said he could hear the difference silver patch cords made while transferring
a DIGITAL signal!!!

Maybe he could.

WTF?! I used to work in an electronics lab that did calibration for the
military and I'm used to measuring jitter and slew rates in the pico-second
range. What does the Military use . .good old copper my friend! a $5.00 BNC
cable from Pomona is good to over 500MHz before it drops 3 dB. as long as
you keep capacitance in check, you could use ****ing coathangers for patch
cables. This guy got rode for over $200.00 to patch a digital signal through
silver.

Yes, and cables that MIGHT have resulted in much higher jitter rates
to the point where the degradation was audible.

It's easy to build something that sounds different, it's hard to build
something that sounds better. The problem is that it's much too easy to
mistake different for better.

Don't laugh when people say they can hear something weird. Laugh when they
say it's an improvement.

TCS

On 3 Jan 2005 16:14:06 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Jodster wrote:

I remember a flame war that went on here last year between some loser that
said he could hear the difference silver patch cords made while transferring
a DIGITAL signal!!!

Maybe he could.

sure. and maybe the cables were magic and were able to change the
bits, correct the checksums to match (of course), all to make the
music sound better.

or maybe it was the placebo effect. Nobody likes admitting having ****ed
away $100 due to ignorance and stupdity.
Scott Dorsey

Jodster wrote:

I remember a flame war that went on here last year between some loser that
said he could hear the difference silver patch cords made while transferring
a DIGITAL signal!!!

Maybe he could.

sure. and maybe the cables were magic and were able to change the
bits, correct the checksums to match (of course), all to make the
music sound better.

I didn't say it made the music sound better. I said it made the music
sound worse.

It's EASY to make cables that make the music sound worse. It's hard to
realize that what is going on is not an improvement sometimes, though.

TCS

Jodster wrote:

I remember a flame war that went on here last year between some loser that
said he could hear the difference silver patch cords made while transferring
a DIGITAL signal!!!

Maybe he could.

sure. and maybe the cables were magic and were able to change the
bits, correct the checksums to match (of course), all to make the
music sound better.

I didn't say it made the music sound better. I said it made the music
sound worse.

It's EASY to make cables that make the music sound worse. It's hard to
realize that what is going on is not an improvement sometimes, though.

It's practically impossible to change the sound with a digital cable. Either
they work, and work perfectly, or they don't work at all. Digital errors
are about as subtle as shaking a CD player until it skips.