putting amp in a box: good or bad?

Old July 13th 03, 06:37 PM
JohanWagener

Default putting amp in a box: good or bad?

I want to put my amp into a wooden box for protection against bumps,
scratches, ect. The amp has a fan in the middle of its top.

If I dril a big hole in the middle top of the box and also small holes on
the sides for ventilation it would work right?

Old July 13th 03, 07:33 PM
Jon

I had a friend who did that....he also put little 3" 12v case fans from a
computer in the box to help with air flow. His worked fine.

Jon
Oregon

Old July 14th 03, 04:05 AM
Ge0

This will work OK. Just make sure you have air flow over the amp. One way
to do this is mount a fan blowing in on one side and another pulling air out
on the opposite side. The whole idea it to get hot air away from the amps
heat sink.

I had three a/d/s/ amps mounted under a false floor in my trunk for over a
year without them over heating or shutting down. I created a wind tunnel
that drew fresh air in and pushed it out the other end. The amps ran cool
and happy.

--
Ge0
TeamAMP #4 - tech whiz type of guy
Low cost car stereo equipment repair/ modification
Contact me for advice or a quote.
Always interested in buying dead equipment too.
Looking for answers on car stereo topics?
www.mobileaudio.com
www.teamrocs.com
http://go.to/bcae/
Geo uses:
Main Stage = a/d/s/ 336is.2
Rear fill = a/d/s/ 335is.2
Subs = Audiomobile Mass 2012 S24
Head unit = Denon DCT-1000R
Processor 1 = Orion DEQ30
Processor 2 = Tubedriver LDX-23 3-way x-over
Processor 3 = Ge0 brewed digital time delay
Sub Amp = a/d/s/ P4100.2
Main & rear fill amp = a/d/s/ P840.2
Interconnects = Streetwires ZN2.0, custom balanced and optical cabling
Power distribution = Streetwires
Ge0 rides Ventanna and GT double boinger MTB's
Bikes built from deals at WWW.MTBREVIEW.COM
****