Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man Chris K-Man is offline

Default Broadcasting Q? Announcing The Time On The Radio

I've noticed it for about ten years, maybe mo

The announcer/other on-air personality more often than not tells the wrong time! Typically the wrong hour. Happpens when either Standard or Daylight Saving is in effect.

"Mostly clear skies, twenty five degrees at 12 minutes past 5(it's 6:12 as I'm typing this).

What KIND OF CLOCK do most AM/FM radio stations have on their wall, if any nowadays?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Chris K-Man wrote:
I've noticed it for about ten years, maybe mo

The announcer/other on-air personality more often than not tells the wrong time! Typically the wrong hour. Happpens when either Standard or Daylight Saving is in effect.

This is the consequence of your local station rebroadcasting some program
from off the satellite, from some station in a different time zone.

Some of the radio networks are better than others about this sort of thing.
Family Radio is just horrible about it.

"Mostly clear skies, twenty five degrees at 12 minutes past 5(it's 6:12 as I'm typing this).

Likely the weather isn't for where you are either.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 7:57:17 PM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Chris wrote:
I've noticed it for about ten years, maybe mo

The announcer/other on-air personality more often than not tells the wrong time! Typically the wrong hour. Happpens when either Standard or Daylight Saving is in effect.

This is the consequence of your local station rebroadcasting some program
from off the satellite, from some station in a different time zone.

Some of the radio networks are better than others about this sort of thing.
Family Radio is just horrible about it.

"Mostly clear skies, twenty five degrees at 12 minutes past 5(it's 6:12 as I'm typing this).

Likely the weather isn't for where you are either.

Again: The station broadcasts off the Empire State Building, which I can see from the shore of my town in CT . it's the local news report at five minutes past the top of every hour.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

Chris wrote:
I've noticed it for about ten years, maybe mo

The announcer/other on-air personality more often than not tells the wrong time! Typically the wrong hour. Happpens when either Standard or Daylight Saving is in effect.

This is the consequence of your local station rebroadcasting some program
from off the satellite, from some station in a different time zone.

Some of the radio networks are better than others about this sort of thing.
Family Radio is just horrible about it.

"Mostly clear skies, twenty five degrees at 12 minutes past 5(it's 6:12 as I'm typing this).

Likely the weather isn't for where you are either.

Again: The station broadcasts off the Empire State Building, which I can see from the shore of my town in CT . it's the local news report at five minutes past the top of every hour.

Many times I've written this off as "old guys with bad eyes"
Some times they catch it and do an 'oops' ...
~~
A station I listen to does re-broadcasts of the previous day
over night. Some times the times don't quite line up.

IMHO not a big thing.
--
==
Later...

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Chris K-Man wrote:
Again: The station broadcasts off the Empire State Building, which I can see from the shore of my town in CT . it's the local news report at five minutes past the top of every hour.

Yes, but the announcer is likely in San Antonio in the same building with
all the rest of the iHeartMedia announcers rather than being in a little
closet on he 85th floor of the Empire State.

Unless he's in Maryland with the Sinclair announcers or in Oakland, CA with
the Family Radio announcers.

Local radio does still exist in some places but it's much more common to
get stuff off the bird with local announcements inserted off mp3 files.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 26/02/2021 15:34, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Local radio does still exist in some places but it's much more common to
get stuff off the bird with local announcements inserted off mp3 files.

That is if the announcer on a music show didn't record the show at home
last Thursday using a clock that they hoped was set to show the times
when the show would actually be broadcast. The news and localised
adverts are just slotted into the gaps or faded up at the correct time
over the music.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 4:04:29 PM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
On 26/02/2021 15:34, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Local radio does still exist in some places but it's much more common to
get stuff off the bird with local announcements inserted off mp3 files.

That is if the announcer on a music show didn't record the show at home
last Thursday using a clock that they hoped was set to show the times
when the show would actually be broadcast. The news and localised
adverts are just slotted into the gaps or faded up at the correct time
over the music.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

____________

It JUST HAPPENED AGAIN:

On WBAI FM 99.5 IN NEW YORK CITY, the announcer of "A New Day" mis-announced the time as "7:27" when it was actually 7:47am. She did apologize and correct herself. This is a LOCAL, PRIVATELY FUNDED radio station with studio and transmitter both within the boundaries of NY City in the EASTERN TIME ZONE.

So I'll ask once mo WHAT KIND OF CLOCK do these radio stations have on their wall, if any?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"Theckma C. K-Tard, the gibbering moron" wrote in message
It JUST HAPPENED AGAIN:

Nobody gives a ****, li'l buddy. KoOkY KAP-lOcK don't really help

snip theck-tard's vapid ranting

So I'll ask once mo WHAT KIND OF CLOCK do these radio stations have on
their wall, if any?

I think we all know that this is a roundabout way for you to troll about
daylight saving time. Twice a year, you get several extra hours of stupid,
so this weekend may reduce the remnants of your pudding-brain even further.
Pathetic, but entirely predictable. And the use of caps-lock indicates a
certain level of desperation.

When you were a baby, did your parents beat you on the head with a clock set
to daylight saving time? Is that why you're retarded?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/9/2021 7:51 AM, Chris K-Man wrote:
On WBAI FM 99.5 IN NEW YORK CITY, the announcer of "A New Day" mis-announced the time as "7:27" when it was actually 7:47am. She did apologize and correct herself. This is a LOCAL, PRIVATELY FUNDED radio station with studio and transmitter both within the boundaries of NY City in the EASTERN TIME ZONE.

It's hard to get good help nowadays. I hear a lot of radio news
broadcasters mispronounce names of people and places, and some things.
They should know better. But the push for real time news has pretty much
done away with editing before broadcast.

So I'll ask once mo WHAT KIND OF CLOCK do these radio stations have on their wall, if any?

Generally studios have both an analog and a digital clock, and many have
a countdown clock as well so the announcer knows how much time there is
before the end of the hour.

But are you sure the announcer you mentioned above is actually looking
at a clock in the studio? Could be that she's at home with an improvised
studio, and just looked at her watch.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 10/03/2021 1:51 am, Chris K-Man wrote:
[...]

I blame the 5G.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 10:16:50 AM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

_____

Mike I noticed mis-telling of the time on the radio when "COVID" would have been the name of some sci-fi character. But your other explanations seem plausible.

I duck-ducked "broadcast studio clock" and came up with some incredible results: a monitor-based solution that displays not only time and date, but On-Air warning, VU levels for two sources, current program playing, etc, etc. As well as good old fashioned analog clocks, and digital ones with characters up to five inches high.

I used to think that radio stations had clocks that displayed only the minutes, and not the particular hour, explaining why the time they announced was periodically one hour off, in either direction!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/03/2021 00:48, Chris K-Man wrote:

I used to think that radio stations had clocks that displayed only the minutes, and not the particular hour, explaining why the time they announced was periodically one hour off, in either direction!

One notorious announcer on the BBC gave rise to what was called the
"Jack De Manio clock" in the studio he used. No hands, no numbers, no
monitor, but if you looked at it, you would read "Twenty five to eight"
That cured him, and it would be trivial to program an Arduino or
Raepberry Pi and a small monitor.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Anthony Kuzub Anthony Kuzub is offline

Mostly Masterclock here at CBC. Was Leitch for the longest of time... SMTPE LTC distributed to wall clocks.

that's all gone because of POE and NTP

Do note most radio isn't live at all...

APK

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 4:57:58 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
On 10/03/2021 00:48, Chris K-Man wrote:

I used to think that radio stations had clocks that displayed only the minutes, and not the particular hour, explaining why the time they announced was periodically one hour off, in either direction!

One notorious announcer on the BBC gave rise to what was called the
"Jack De Manio clock" in the studio he used. No hands, no numbers, no
monitor, but if you looked at it, you would read "Twenty five to eight"
That cured him, and it would be trivial to program an Arduino or
Raepberry Pi and a small monitor.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man Chris K-Man is offline

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 4:57:58 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
On 10/03/2021 00:48, Chris K-Man wrote:

I used to think that radio stations had clocks that displayed only the minutes, and not the particular hour, explaining why the time they announced was periodically one hour off, in either direction!

One notorious announcer on the BBC gave rise to what was called the
"Jack De Manio clock" in the studio he used. No hands, no numbers, no
monitor, but if you looked at it, you would read "Twenty five to eightsuffices. "
That cured him, and it would be trivial to program an Arduino or
Raepberry Pi and a small monitor.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

_________
That is the 'human' way of telling time, now that you mentioned it.

Who goes "three thirty-seven" when announcing the time or answering anothers inquiry as to time of day? Twenty-five or twenty til four usually suffices. My late hero of the AM band, Don Imus, almost never specified the hour, once his show reached global syndication. "Ten after the hour" or "Thirteen til the hour on the Imus In the Morning program, here's Charles with some late-breaking headlines" Is typically what you got.

The displays you mentioned can be programmed to diplay time more or less colloquially, as needs dictate
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 1:12:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

______
The talent for 1010 WINS occasionally read the wrong hour, and they all broadcast
locally, if even some from their homes during this pandemic.

I still wonder about that minute clock: "48m:35s" Does such a clock exist? Because that might also explain some instances of wrong hour.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Chris K-Man" wrote in message

snip
My late hero of the AM band, Don Imus, almost never specified the
hour, once his show reached global syndication. "Ten after the hour"
or "Thirteen til the hour on the Imus In the Morning program, here's
Charles with some late-breaking headlines" Is typically what you got.

Don't forget the "quack quack"

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Anthony Kuzub wrote:

Do note most radio isn't live at all...

"Coming to you live from the lanai of the Moana Hotel via Ampex Tape Delay!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 11/03/2021 9:20 am, polymod wrote:

"Chris K-Man"Â* wrote in message

snip
My lateÂ* heroÂ* ofÂ* theÂ* AM band, Don Imus,Â* almostÂ* never specified the
hour, onceÂ* hisÂ* showÂ* reachedÂ* globalÂ* syndication.Â* "TenÂ* afterÂ* the
hour" or "Thirteen til the hour onÂ* theÂ* ImusÂ* InÂ* theÂ* Morning
program,Â* here's CharlesÂ* withÂ* some late-breakingÂ* headlines"Â* Is
typicallyÂ* whatÂ* you got.

Yep, we've had that here too where even same time zones are not all on
daylight savings time in summer. But then we have one zone which is half
an hour different, so that's still a problem I guess. BUT when you hear
"ten after the hour" you don't *always* know WHAT hour! :-)
However these days of ubiquitous mobile phones with accurate time
display for the current location, it all seems fairly unnecessary
anyway. Just like the weather forecasts that are usually FAR better by
simply going to the local weather service web page.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"Trevor" wrote in message ...
... daylight savings time ...

There it is! You have taken the dumb****'s troll bait, which was the sole
purpose of his original post.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 12/03/2021 10:54 pm, None wrote:
"Trevor"Â* wrote in message ...
... daylight savings time ...

There it is! You have taken the dumb****'s troll bait, which was the
sole purpose of his original post.

Rubbish, what you have snipped, and that which I replied to was
reasonable comment regardless of what else he may have posted. Your post
is totally pointless however.