Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

Default OT: Chick

Please forgive my off topic post. I just wanted to voice my respect, thoughts, and prayers to one of the best musicians who was a huge influence on me as well as my playing style.
RIP Chick Corea.

Return To Forever was one of the first concerts I bought my girlfriend (and current wife) to back in 1976 when
she was still in High School.
We sat front row at The Shakespeare Theatre, Stratford CT.
I thought Stanley Clarke's bass was going to crush my chest.
Al DiMeola had joined the band and Chick ALWAYS let his players shine and
never hogged the spotlight.
I'll never forget Chick horsing around and playing a Ukulele during a
blazing guitar solo. My wife talks about it to this day.

He was the sole reason I bought my Fender Rhodes in 1976. Still have it and play/maintain it to this very day.
He was my music idol and I couldn't get enough of his music. Then, and now.

I purchased this book back in 1976 when I worked at a piano/organ store that sold
sheet music. I've had two acoustic pianos since then, but my piano bench has
always held this book, which I still play to this day.
May he forever rest in peace.
http://sonicmusic.net/Chick.jpg

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 14/02/2021 7:45 am, polymod wrote:
Please forgive my off topic post. I just wanted to voice my respect,
thoughts, and prayers to one of the best musicians who was a huge
influence on me as well as my playing* style.
RIP Chick Corea.

Seems to be about one per week at the moment ;- |

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf gray_wolf is offline

On 13/02/2021 12:45 pm, polymod wrote:
Please forgive my off topic post. I just wanted to voice my respect, thoughts,
and prayers to one of the best musicians who was a huge influence on me as well
as my playingÂ* style.
[...]

Thanks for posting. I've really enjoyed Chick's work. Loved Spain.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

Default Chick

"gray_wolf" wrote in message news
[...]

When I was in a wedding band many times I was called upon to play the
'cocktail hour'.
Spain was on my list.

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Barry B Barry B is offline

On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 11:44:19 AM UTC-5, polymod wrote:
"gray_wolf" wrote in message news On 13/02/2021 12:45 pm, polymod wrote:
[...]

I just read this, and remember how I felt on the day I first read that Chick had passed. Could have pretty much written Poly's first post myself.. very similar trajectory and timeline. Chick was why I became a pianist. I heard Spain for the first time when I was maybe ten years old, and by the time I was 12 I had transcribed most of his solo. He continued to be a strong influence throughout his and my life, although became firmly entranced by and entrenched in Bill Evans' style and playing by the time I was 30, and that's where I've been ever since. People still tell me they can hear Chick's influence in my playing. I'm extremely flattered by that compliment. Chick was truly one of the world's great pianists, and perhaps THE greatest improviser of all time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Barry B" wrote in message

[...]

Wonderful post Barry.

Chick and Bill Evans. Sounds like we have much in common, even though, to my
teacher's chagrin, I gravitated toward the rock/fusion genre over jazz.
Transcribing a Chick solo at 12 is pretty darn amazing.

Best,
Poly