New Spin Magazine

Old August 14th 10, 03:36 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L

Default New Spin Magazine

On Aug 13, 3:12*pm, Clyde Slick > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 4:02*pm, MiNe 109 * > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > *Clyde Slick > wrote:

> > > Chris Squire
> > > He is exactly the kind of bassist I have no use for.

> > > He goes absolutley nowhere extremely fast.

> > I would have said plodding or lumbering, but then I like his playing in
> > context.

> > No love for Bootsie? John Paul Jones? Tony Levin?

> Bootsie (and Graham) left off because I don't appreciate theri styles,
> they dopn't fit my criteria
> it does nothing for me.
> John Paul Jones is ok, but not up to being on the list
> Levin, ok, not up to the list
> Upon further reflecetion, I forgot to include Pino Palladino
> in the mid late teens on my list

Bootsy is an American institution. Gotta give him props.
Old August 14th 10, 04:38 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

On Aug 13, 10:35*pm, Bret L > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 3:52*pm, Clyde Slick > wrote:
>

> > On Aug 13, 4:02*pm, MiNe 109 * > wrote:

> > > In article

> > > I would have said plodding or lumbering, but then I like his playing in
> > > context.

> > > No love for Bootsie? John Paul Jones? Tony Levin?

> > Now for a drummer list

> > just for a start, the ones I like (from rock music)

> *I don' t doubt htat but why is your liking them so essential to us?
>
> *Are arguing for the primacy of YOUR tastes?-

if your taste is white power rock, the Absolutely yes
'
Old August 14th 10, 04:40 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

On Aug 13, 10:36*pm, Bret L > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 3:12*pm, Clyde Slick > wrote:
>

> > On Aug 13, 4:02*pm, MiNe 109 * > wrote:

> > > In article

> > > I would have said plodding or lumbering, but then I like his playing in
> > > context.

> > > No love for Bootsie? John Paul Jones? Tony Levin?

> > Bootsie (and Graham) left off because I don't appreciate theri styles,
> > they dopn't fit my criteria
> > it does nothing for me.
> > John Paul Jones is ok, but not up to being on the list
> > Levin, ok, not up to the list
> > Upon further reflecetion, I forgot to include Pino Palladino
> > in the mid late teens on my list

> *Bootsy is an American institution. Gotta give him props.- Hide quoted text -

so, waht kind of bass do you play?
i mean, the make and model and configuration of bass guitar, not your
style
Old August 14th 10, 11:48 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L

On Aug 13, 10:40*pm, Clyde Slick > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 10:36*pm, Bret L > wrote:

> > > Bootsie (and Graham) left off because I don't appreciate theri styles,
> > > they dopn't fit my criteria
> > > it does nothing for me.
> > > John Paul Jones is ok, but not up to being on the list
> > > Levin, ok, not up to the list
> > > Upon further reflecetion, I forgot to include Pino Palladino
> > > in the mid late teens on my list

> > *Bootsy is an American institution. Gotta give him props.- Hide quoted text -

> so, waht kind of bass do you play?
> i mean, the make and model and configuration of bass guitar, not your
> style

I don't play bass. I have worked on a lot of basses. Guitars too.

I keep a couple of guitars around the house for idle amusement, but
no bass. Bass is only useful in a band.
Old August 14th 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L

On Aug 13, 10:38*pm, Clyde Slick > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 10:35*pm, Bret L > wrote:

> > > Now for a drummer list

> > > just for a start, the ones I like (from rock music)

> > *I don' t doubt htat but why is your liking them so essential to us?

> > *Are arguing for the primacy of YOUR tastes?-

> if your taste is white power rock, the Absolutely yes
> '

No, it isn't. In fact I consider "white power rock" a contradiction,
as well as most of it sucking.

Skrewdriver were the canonical WP band-their music consisted of Chuck
Berry style tunes. See the contradiction?

Old August 15th 10, 01:53 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

On Aug 14, 6:48*pm, Bret L > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 10:40*pm, Clyde Slick > wrote:

> > > *Bootsy is an American institution. Gotta give him props.- Hide quoted text -

> > so, waht kind of bass do you play?
> > i mean, the make and model and configuration of bass guitar, not your
> > style

> *I don't play bass. I have worked on a lot of basses.

ok, you can change strings.
why bother if you don't play?
Old August 15th 10, 02:01 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

On Aug 14, 6:50*pm, Bret L > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 10:38*pm, Clyde Slick > wrote:

> > > *I don' t doubt htat but why is your liking them so essential to us?

> > > *Are arguing for the primacy of YOUR tastes?-

> > if your taste is white power rock, the Absolutely yes
> > '

> No, it isn't. In fact I consider "white power rock" a contradiction,
> as well as most of it sucking.
>
> *Skrewdriver were the canonical WP band-their music consisted of Chuck
> Berry style tunes. See the contradiction?-

Anybody looking for white racial purity in any type of rock and roll
is off base.
Yodelling is the purist form of white music there is, plus its almost
Aryan, to boot.
try putting some white power lyrics into yodelling, you will really
have something there, Bratzi.
Old August 15th 10, 06:02 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason!

On Aug 13, 11:46*am, ScottW > wrote:
> [...]

> > > about 1975 forward.

> > > Carol is a nice person and an amazing musician. *I only played with her
> > > a few times, as she is now effectively retired. *We say howdy at NAMM
> > > each year. *She is, undoubtedly, one of the most heard musicians of all
> > > time, up there with Hal Blaine, Don Randi, Stevie Gadd, the Candoli
> > > brothers, Dick Nash, Howard Roberts, George Roberts, Tommy Tedesco,
> > > Louie Shelton, and a handful of others whose names the vast majority of
> > > music fans have never heard.

> > Its not reallyn a tough one. On the sessions in question, the Funk
> > Brothers conglomerate played them in Detroit,

> > Kayes' bio on Wiki does not credit her with the songs in question.

> > Kaye plays with a pick and strikes the string near the bridge.
> > Jamerson plays with his fingers and strikes the string near the pickup

> > Kaye's factors lead to a plinky, twangy sound,
> > while al Jamerson's factors lead to a deep thumpy sound.

> > Listen to The Beach Boys "Good to My Baby" form Beach Boys today,
> > you can hear what I am talking about.Kayes sound.
> > Compare that to the deep Jamerson rumble
> > of the Supremes "Come See about Me" or "Stop in THE
> > Name of Love"

> > Both players used early to mid 60's P Basses
> > and flat wound strings.

> > I think there is a small little similarity in parts of the lines for
> > Shake Me Wake Me (Jamerson)
> > and Good to My Baby, but a big difference ins sound and style.

> > BTW, look at all the greats who played on "Good to MY Baby

> > Hal Blaine - drums
> > Steve Douglas - tenor saxophone
> > Al Jardine - backing vocals
> > Plas Johnson - tenor saxophone
> > Carol Kaye - bass guitar
> > Mike Love - lead & backing vocals
> > Jay Migliori - baritone saxophone
> > Bill Pitman - guitar
> > Don Randi - tack piano, organ
> > Billy Strange - guitar
> > Ron Swallow - tambourine
> > Tommy Tedesco - guitar
> > Julius Wechter - conga drums
> > Brian Wilson - piano, lead & backing vocals
> > Carl Wilson - guitar, backing vocals
> > Dennis Wilson - backing vocals

> > Jamerson is the greatest electric bassist of all time, in my opinion.
> > Kaye was exceptionally good.

> > Here is my list!

> > 1 James Jamerson
> > 2 Donald Duck Dunn
> > 3 Jack Bruce
> > 4 JAco PAstorius
> > 5 Jack Cassidy (Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna)
> > 6 HArvey Brooks
> > 7. George Porter, Jr. (the Meters)
> > 8 Nathan East (Clapton)
> > 9 Darry Johnson (the Nevile Bros.)
> > 10 Bob Glaub
> > 11 Johnny Gaydon (AlbertCollins)
> > 12 Chuck Rainey
> > 13 Carol Kaye
> > 14 John Doster (BB King, appx 1995-2005)
> > 15 John McVie
> > 16 Stanley Clarke
> > 17 Bill Wyman
> > 18 Lee Sklar

> *How do you leave Chris Squire off this list?

Overly self-indulgent and crappy thin tone?

Just a guess.
Old August 15th 10, 06:13 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Glanbrok[_2_]

On Aug 14, 8:01*pm, Clyde Slick > wrote:

> Yodelling is the purist form of white music there is, plus its almost
> Aryan, to boot.
> try putting some white power lyrics into yodelling, you will really
> have something there, Bratzi.

Let's take a moment to mourn Hank Williams again....

Old August 15th 10, 07:04 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Whitman