Abhi

Default Is this setup possible?

Headunit: Sony CDX F5700
Factory Speakers: 4 x 6.5" (wattage guessing 140W) + 1 x 1" tweeter
Amp: Sony XM2100GTX (http://www.xplodsony.com/products/?C...&MD=XM-2100GTX)
Subwoofer: Sony 10" XSL101P5
(http://www.xplodsony.com/products/?C...s&MD=XS-L101P5)

I am wondering if the following setup is possible or not:

Setup:

1. Attach rear speakers to amplifier.
2. Bridge subwoofer across both channels.
3. Add passive crossover components to effectively remove mid and high
frequencies from reaching the subwoofer.

This is a temporary setup (till I can afford the rest of the stuff) to
get better bass compared to what comes from factory speakers. Later I
plan to replace the amp with a more powerful amp to power the sub (add
another sub possibly to make it isobaric) and use the 2100GTX to power
the mid and high drivers.

Is this a reasonable setup to approach? I would appreaciate any help.

Thanx

AB
MZ

I am wondering if the following setup is possible or not:

Setup:

1. Attach rear speakers to amplifier.
2. Bridge subwoofer across both channels.
3. Add passive crossover components to effectively remove mid and high
frequencies from reaching the subwoofer.

This is a temporary setup (till I can afford the rest of the stuff) to
get better bass compared to what comes from factory speakers. Later I
plan to replace the amp with a more powerful amp to power the sub (add
another sub possibly to make it isobaric) and use the 2100GTX to power
the mid and high drivers.

Is this a reasonable setup to approach? I would appreaciate any help.

This is often referred to as tri-mode. I think it's a poor solution.
Passive components in the subwoofer side of the spectrum tend to be pricey
(although Radio Shack sells some cheap coils for this purpose - around 12
bucks I think) and this only gives you a 6dB/oct slope. More importantly,
your output will be attenuated - you'll probably hardly notice the sub.
Frankly, I'd just amplify one or the other right now and wait until you
can afford another amp. Besides, for a little more money than what
passive crossover components would cost you, you could buy a cheap amp off
of ebay, at least as a temporary solution.