AT

Default transporting good mics to/from location gigs

it is interesting, as some speaker companies suggest that the output of
their speakers be shorted for transportation.doing it does hold the cone
very tight.

i wonder if this makes any difference with mics.

hummm......

Harvey Gerst

"John L Rice" wrote:

I've never heard of this. How would shorting the terminals affect the cone
movement at all? Is there a concern about static charges or stray magnetic
fields modulating the cone or ???

John,

Some of the induced cone motion would be damped by the back EMF, created by the
voice coil.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/
John L Rice

"Harvey Gerst" wrote in message
"John L Rice" wrote:

I've never heard of this. How would shorting the terminals affect the

cone
movement at all? Is there a concern about static charges or stray

magnetic
fields modulating the cone or ???

John,

Some of the induced cone motion would be damped by the back EMF, created

by the
voice coil.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

Ahhhhhh, ok, that makes sense.

Thanks much Harvey!

John L Rice

Eric Agner

50's sewing machine case--wedge shaped small suitcase, plywood, with
tweed covering.

Mics are wrapped in foam wraps from a camera store intended for heavy,
expensive, fragile equipment.

Patric D'Eimon wrote in message ...
What I love and still use are several of the vintage (as in old) Samsonite
suitcases. They are different shades of brown and are built amazingly strong.
I've gotten all of mine at flea markets and garage sales. You can use both the
top and bottoms of the case. Pack them with the foam of your choosing and use
1/8" or 1/4" plywood for dividers. I use them for mixers, mikes, accessories,
etc...It may sound like irresponsible heresy but I choose them over the Anvil
cases that I have. I think they are less conspicuous and tempting to the evil
minded. I think they lend a terrific amount of funky panache to the whole deal
too! My 2c...Patric

P Stamler

Like Patric, I use old Samsonite suitcases. They're remarkably tough, and come
in several colors which help me differentiate pieces of gear (gray for the mike
cables, red for speaker cables, green for the Hafler, brown for the
microphones). I agree that they're a lot less conspicuous; also, they run $4-6
at St. Vincent de Paul. A few of the 60s-vintage models have wheels at one end
and fold-out handles at the other.

Inside, I pad them with egg-crate foam (bought at Wal-Mart as mattress foam)
and pack the fancy boxes right into the suitcase. I usually don't use dividers,
as the various microphones pack tightly enough by themselves. A hunk of
free-lance foam serves to wedge the boxes in place Oh, and the upper section of
the suitcase (behind the cardboard flap) is filled with foam too, plus maybe a
cable or two..

Peace,
Paul

Benjamin Maas

I use milk crates and those hanging file folder boxes you can get from
Costco or Office Depot. (they are clear plastic with a top that folds over
and locks in place. They can stack as well... Very inexpensive and they
can hold lots o' "stuff" including clips, shockmounts, etc... The
individual mics pretty much all come in good boxes so they just stack inside
the crates.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

ScotFraser

Now that you have me thiniking, why not electromagnetic shock absorbers
for cars? They could be controlled by a microprocessor. Phase
cancellation for bumps..

That's somewhat similar to the Citroen system, which is hydraulic. The car is
always level, as fluid gets pumped to whichever wheel is lowest, although it's
not fast enough to even out bumps.
Scott Fraser
Kurt Albershardt

ScotFraser wrote:

Now that you have me thiniking, why not electromagnetic shock absorbers
for cars? They could be controlled by a microprocessor. Phase
cancellation for bumps..

That's somewhat similar to the Citroen system, which is hydraulic. The car is
always level, as fluid gets pumped to whichever wheel is lowest, although it's
not fast enough to even out bumps.

And when you park it, it kneels down on the ground--making it the only
car I can think of which can't be stolen with a tow truck. This is far
more common than you might think, and easily done in broad daylight.

LeBaron & Alrich

ScotFraser wrote:

Also check out the briefcase size Chinese made tool box at Home Depot. I
think it's $30, has an easily removed tool pallette inside & is aluminum
skin over luan/ply construction. Won't do well if it takes a lot of hits,
but for in town transit in your car, it's good enough. Holds about a a
half dozen Neumann cherry boxes.

That's almost exactly the same as the one from Lowe's, but last tiem I
compared (at the Reno stores) the Lowe's model had a slightly nicer
finish, and in particular, much nicer corner protectors, a bit less
clunky.

And yeah, I don't expect to take 'em into a war zone and have stuff
survive. But I've set up a few of them for grab 'n' go to certain gigs I
do regularly and don't want to have to pack for every damn time. Really
handy.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
TAPKAE

"ScotFraser" read this in the National Enquirer :

Those multiple mic transport cases from SKB are horribly flawed in
several ways: they're made by SKB,

You know what SKB stands for, right?

****
Keeps
Breaking.

At least in my experience.

-- TAPKAE
http://tapkae.com

"We're the cleanup crew for parties we were too young to attend"
(Kevin Gilbert)

Scott Dorsey

I made a big lauan box, and put a few dividers into it. Then I keep the
microphones in their own padded bags, put them in, and then put foam on
top to keep everything stable when it gets on the plane.

I keep the Beyer ribbons in their original foam-filled boxes, and I keep
the RCA ribbons in individually made lauan shipping packages with foam
inserts.

I keep the Josephson and B&K stuff in my attache case as carry-on.

Scott Dorsey

John L Rice wrote:
I've never heard of this. How would shorting the terminals affect the cone
movement at all? Is there a concern about static charges or stray magnetic
fields modulating the cone or ???

Try it and see! The speaker is acting like a microphone... you change the
load on the mike, and it changes the damping.

Try pushing on the cone with the input open and then shorted... feels
very different.
Jerry Steiger

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote in message
Snip
Now that you have me thinking, why not electromagnetic shock absorbers
for cars? They could be controlled by a microprocessor. Phase
cancellation for bumps..

It'd take some big motors, but could be done. Probably has
been, somewhere somewhen.

People (well, actually, electrical and mechanical engineers) have been
working on this for quite a while. As you noted, it takes a lot of power and
expensive hardware. Closest you can get to it right now is
electromagnetically controlled damping in your shock absorbers. Changes the
viscosity in milliseconds. It's available on the Cadillac XLR.

Jerry Steiger

LeBaron & Alrich

Jerry Steiger wrote:

It's available on the Cadillac XLR.

How's that compare with the Neutrik and Switchcraft XLR's?

--
ha

John L Rice

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
John L Rice wrote:
I've never heard of this. How would shorting the terminals affect the

cone
movement at all? Is there a concern about static charges or stray

magnetic
fields modulating the cone or ???

Try it and see! The speaker is acting like a microphone... you change the
load on the mike, and it changes the damping.

Try pushing on the cone with the input open and then shorted... feels
very different.

Thanks Scott, I'll give that a try. I like science experiments!

John L Rice

ScotFraser

You know what SKB stands for, right?

Some Krapulous Bull****?

Stupid Krappy Boxes?

Scott Fraser
John L Rice

"ScotFraser" wrote in message
You know what SKB stands for, right?

Some Krapulous Bull****?

Stupid Krappy Boxes?

Scott Fraser

Synthetic Kardboard Boxes?

Rich Wilner

Rob Adelman wrote in message ...
Harvey Gerst wrote:
"John L Rice" wrote:

I've never heard of this. How would shorting the terminals affect the cone
movement at all? Is there a concern about static charges or stray magnetic
fields modulating the cone or ???

John,

Some of the induced cone motion would be damped by the back EMF, created by the
voice coil.

The stuff you learn here! Simple things that you just would have never
thought of

Now that you have me thiniking, why not electromagnetic shock absorbers
for cars? They could be controlled by a microprocessor. Phase
cancellation for bumps..

I've heard rumors of bose working on this...