Posted to rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Default stereo will not turn on

i have a 2000 ford focus with a kenwood stereo. i have 12v power at the
factory connector for both the switched and constant pins. I can take
the kenwood or a jvc that i have and connect it directly to the battery
and they power up but will not at the connector. where can the problem
be?

Posted to rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

some decks ground from the braket that you screw it on to. try putting
in where it should be. also check for shorts in speakers that will
cause the deck to not turn on to keep it from getting ****ed up

Posted to rec.audio.car
Paul Stamler

wrote in message
ups.com...
i have a 2000 ford focus with a kenwood stereo. i have 12v power at the
factory connector for both the switched and constant pins. I can take
the kenwood or a jvc that i have and connect it directly to the battery
and they power up but will not at the connector. where can the problem
be?

Something else in the factory connector is bad, like the ground.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Something else in the factory connector is bad, like the ground.

Yes, exactly. If you can get your hands on a voltmeter I would test both
the ignition and constant power connections.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car

I had already checked the 12v constant, switched and ground at the
connector.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb

Just gotta ask... key turned on?

Brandonb

wrote:
I had already checked the 12v constant, switched and ground at the
connector.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Well, if all your connections are good and it comes on at some places and
not others then there must be witchcraft involved....

Seriously, clearly some of these connections are NOT good. I would try
focusing on the ground to start. Someone may have a better suggestion, but
I would try using a different ground source when you hook it up at the dash.
Use the negative ciggarette lighter lead for instance, or even just a clean,
bare piece of the car's frame. It's possible that although on a multimeter
your ground lead gives a good reading, it may not be capable of carrying any
current. Again, if everything you have said is true, then there MUST be a
problem with one of the dash connections.

Also, have you taken a voltmeter reading when the deck is hooked up at the
dash? This might tell you much.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Bruce Chang

wrote in message
ups.com...
i have a 2000 ford focus with a kenwood stereo. i have 12v power at the
factory connector for both the switched and constant pins. I can take
the kenwood or a jvc that i have and connect it directly to the battery
and they power up but will not at the connector. where can the problem
be?

You may have 12V but you may not have enough current to get the deck going.
Hook up the deck and make sure you're still getting 12V when you try to turn
it on. If the voltage is dropping, the deck won't want to power up and you
either have a bad wire or connection somewhere inbetween the battery and
your factory connector. Could be a partially blown fuse.

Posted to rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Bruce Chang wrote:

Could be a partially blown fuse.

Some comments on Useenet are truly precious !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Lorin David Schultz

"Pooh Bear" wrote:

Bruce Chang wrote:

Could be a partially blown fuse.

Some comments on Useenet are truly precious !

Now come on Graham, it may have been damaged by a partially discharged
bullet fired from a gun owned by a partial virgin.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Getting Older and Grumpier Gear Minion

Lorin David Schultz wrote:
"Pooh Bear" wrote:

Bruce Chang wrote:

Could be a partially blown fuse.

Some comments on Useenet are truly precious !

Now come on Graham, it may have been damaged by a partially discharged
bullet fired from a gun owned by a partial virgin.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

If pin the outs on the connector are matched, and the unit is grounded,
appears to be currentus interuptus.
If it has an in line fuse, make sure it is making contact and not
poorly
seated in the fuse holder.

Posted to rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Steve Urbach

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:04:23 +0000, Pooh Bear
wrote:

Bruce Chang wrote:

Could be a partially blown fuse.

Some comments on Useenet are truly precious !

Graham

Or the WRONG TYPE (voltage) fuse. Using a 250V fuse in a low voltage
circuit introduces more resistance tha its low voltage counter part.
The fuse is good - - it is just dropping more voltage than tolerated.
(Had it happen to me in a HP 2100 mini computer. Drove me up the wall
until I found the fuse someone else had replaced).

BTW avoid using automotive (12V) fuses in line voltage circuits. They
may fail to INTERRUPT (sustained internal arc) properly under certain
fast blow conditions.

Posted to rec.audio.car,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Bruce Chang

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Bruce Chang wrote:

Could be a partially blown fuse.

Some comments on Useenet are truly precious !

Graham

Perhaps you've never seen it but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Yes,
it's a fuse and that's what it's made to do but it doesn't mean it's
fool-proof.

Posted to rec.audio.car

yes i stripped the wires to see if the power was comming through, and
it is. no the voltage does not drop. should i check amperage?

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

If the voltage does not drop, then you are getting enough amperage. That is
REALLY a mystery. Did you try another ground source? That would be my next
step.

I guess if push came to shove, you could always just run power and ground
cables to your battery (and hope that the ignition DOES work). In fact,
that gives me an idea. I would hook it up to your battery (so it works) ,
and then try replacing each of the three voltage cables (power, ground,
ignition) with your dash sources (you will obviously need long runs of wire
to do this). You should be able to pinpoint which one is the problem.

MOSFET

MOSFET
wrote in message
oups.com...
yes i stripped the wires to see if the power was comming through, and
it is. no the voltage does not drop. should i check amperage?

Multiplex decoder nearly rewired. Patrick Turner Vacuum Tubes 20 November 24th 05 10:08 AM
Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Playing MP3 into Car stereo? JJonson Car Audio 0 June 2nd 05 05:24 PM
Is the car stereo industry stagnant? n8 skow Car Audio 9 August 16th 04 11:54 AM
stolen car stereo and cigarette lighter marshall Car Audio 1 July 3rd 03 06:58 PM