dboogie

Default Nissan Pathfinder Armada...aftermarket DVD...factory Bose??

My wife and i are going to buy an '04 Nissan Pathfinder Armada LE, without
the dvd option. The $1,500 -$2,000 price they are asking for that option i
think is too much and I think I can get a better deal if I go the
aftermarket route. The vehicle will come with a Bose Stereo package and
I'm wondering is it difficult to add an aftermarket DVD to a factory bose
stereo system. This will be my first vehicle with bose in it and i'm not
sure how "friendly" bose systems react with aftermarket components.

Comments/suggestions greatly appreciated.

dboogie

Steve Grauman

Bose systems are very finnicky when it comes to swapping decks/amps/speakers
while leaving other Bose components in tact. However, as long as there's an
aux. input somewhere, adding a standalone DVD player and having it route sound
to the Bose system should be no problem. However, if an FM demodulator is
neccesary (I couldn't say, as I'm unfamiliar with the Bose system in the
Armada) you may want to think twice. The FM modulator involves sacrificing a
certain amount of sound quality. This of course is assuming that you're talking
about adding a rear screen/DVD player combo. If what you're talking about doing
is replacing the factory deck with a multi-function screen (DVD player, am/fm
radio, ect...) get ready for some install issues.
dboogie

Default thanks Steve.....

yeah, i should have stated that the factory dvd monitor is a flip down unit
that comes down from the roof of the suv, for 2nd and 3rd row passengers to
view. Even without getting the factory dvd, that flip down unit is still
there except it is used for storage instead.
what I want to do is add the aftermarket monitor in the factory flip down
location. I'm not 100% sure, but I think there is an aux input.

Just so i'm understanding you, *IF* i plan to change the factory head unit,
i should be prepared to pull out the rest of the Bose stuff because of the
compatibility problems that are probably gonna arise??? Am I reading you
right??

Thanks for the quick reply to my original post....i really appreciate it!

dboogie

Steve Grauman

Even without getting the factory dvd, that flip down unit is still
there except it is used for storage instead.
what I want to do is add the aftermarket monitor in the factory flip down
location.

This is your best option, it should be a direct replacment for the factory pod:
http://pioneerelectronics.com/pna/pr..._35105,00.html

You're just going to neede a spot to mount the din-sized DVD player.

Just so i'm understanding you, *IF* i plan to change the factory head unit,
i should be prepared to pull out the rest of the Bose stuff because of the
compatibility problems that are probably gonna arise???

This is generally the case. It's possible to get Bose speakers to work with an
aftermarket deck, but it's a royal pain in the ass, and probably won't sound
right. Every part of the Bose system was designed to function with other Bose
or Bose-modified equipment, and this is where the problems arise. The deck in
my 2002 VW had some sort of active EQ attached to it so that it would work with
the Monsoon package I got with the car. When I swapped to my Eclipse deck, I
had to EQ the crap out of the speakers to get something that sounded right,
because I no longer had the factory deck doing the work for me. Getting rid of
those speakers and the screwed up amp system they use for standard aftermarket
speakers will make a huge difference.