Posted to rec.audio.car
DB DB is offline

Default HELP - One output - 2 spks in car door

I'm putting 2 speakers in the car door. A 4x6 and a 4x4. Both 4 ohms. I
need to run them with one output from a receiver rated at 20W RMS. I do NOT
want to get additional amps or anything fancy, I just want to hook the 2
speakers to the one output. What is the best way? Series, parallel,
additional resistors, transformer, crossover components??

Please don't reply unless you absolutely KNOW what you're talking about.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article . net, "DB" wrote:

I'm putting 2 speakers in the car door. A 4x6 and a 4x4. Both 4 ohms. I
need to run them with one output from a receiver rated at 20W RMS. I do NOT
want to get additional amps or anything fancy, I just want to hook the 2
speakers to the one output. What is the best way? Series, parallel,
additional resistors, transformer, crossover components??

Please don't reply unless you absolutely KNOW what you're talking about.
Thanks.

Even though I may not know what I'm talking about I'll reply anyway.

Wire them in series. Tie one plus to the others minus. Then use remaing two
terminals to amp. If they are wired reversed, you will get no bass and little midrange.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
John John is offline

It would be a good idea to just not do this.

--
John
Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandon Buckner Brandon Buckner is offline

Are you going to be using the rear outputs of the Head unit? If not, it
would be best to wire the front output to one set, and the rear output
to the second set. Providing a low impedance (2-ohm) load to a regular
head unit amp is not usually the wisest thing to do as it may very well
damage the head unit and will definitely cause it to run hotter than
normal. You may want to consult your head unit manual, it should state
what each channel is capable of. Series would work, but at 8-ohm,
cutting available power down, but it'd be safer as well. Crossovers are
meant to be used for speakers doing different frequency ranges to keep
the appx 4-ohm load.

As Greg said, best not to do it. If you have the room, why not a bigger
speaker that would sound better anyway? Otherwise, go with an external amp.

Brandonb

DB wrote:
I'm putting 2 speakers in the car door. A 4x6 and a 4x4. Both 4 ohms. I
need to run them with one output from a receiver rated at 20W RMS. I do NOT
want to get additional amps or anything fancy, I just want to hook the 2
speakers to the one output. What is the best way? Series, parallel,
additional resistors, transformer, crossover components??

Please don't reply unless you absolutely KNOW what you're talking about.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
DB DB is offline

"DB" wrote in message
ink.net...

I'm putting 2 speakers in the car door. A 4x6 and a 4x4. Both 4 ohms. I
need to run them with one output from a receiver rated at 20W RMS. I do
NOT want to get additional amps or anything fancy, I just want to hook the
2 speakers to the one output. What is the best way? Series, parallel,
additional resistors, transformer, crossover components??

Please don't reply unless you absolutely KNOW what you're talking about.
Thanks.

After taking a 2nd measurement I realized there is not enough space for a
second speaker. Only 2 1/2" between mounting holes. Probably for a
tweeter. Any suggestions? I hear some tweeters have the crossover
circuitry on board.

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article . net, "DB" wrote:

"DB" wrote in message
link.net...

I'm putting 2 speakers in the car door. A 4x6 and a 4x4. Both 4 ohms. I
need to run them with one output from a receiver rated at 20W RMS. I do
NOT want to get additional amps or anything fancy, I just want to hook the
2 speakers to the one output. What is the best way? Series, parallel,
additional resistors, transformer, crossover components??

Please don't reply unless you absolutely KNOW what you're talking about.
Thanks.

After taking a 2nd measurement I realized there is not enough space for a
second speaker. Only 2 1/2" between mounting holes. Probably for a
tweeter. Any suggestions? I hear some tweeters have the crossover
circuitry on board.

That makes it easier, but the midrange is most likely to also emit some of that frequency and will
interfere with the tweeters response and lobing. But, that usually happens with most systems
anyway. You can do it, but fool around with the spacing and orientation to get a respectable
sound. Using pink noise is almost a necessity. I used to use mostly interchannel FM hiss, but new
headunits tend to be difficult to do simple things.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
John John is offline

Brandon Buckner wrote:
As Greg said, best not to do it.

Actually, John said that : D

--
John
Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandon Buckner Brandon Buckner is offline

John wrote:
Brandon Buckner wrote:
As Greg said, best not to do it.

Actually, John said that : D

Guess I should have rechecked to make sure and not shove my foot in my
mouth eh?

Brandonb
Posted to rec.audio.car
John John is offline

it's all good...you know...if you like the taste...

--
John