Posted to rec.audio.car
David Haggas

Default Line out or speaker?

I am new to the group and am asking a question regarding the fitting of a
Kenwood self- powered subwoofer to my 2000 model Range Rover. I assumed the
fitter would
use the line out from the factory fitted (Alpine) unit but he used the "rear
speaker feed". He insists the speaker feed is just as good. Is there any
difference between using the line out or a speaker signal? Please would
someone explain the difference?

Many thanks,

David

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma

"David Haggas" wrote in message
I am new to the group and am asking a question regarding the fitting of a
Kenwood self- powered subwoofer to my 2000 model Range Rover. I assumed
the fitter would
use the line out from the factory fitted (Alpine) unit but he used the
"rear
speaker feed". He insists the speaker feed is just as good. Is there any
difference between using the line out or a speaker signal? Please would
someone explain the difference?

Many thanks,

David

It is best to use the line out. The line out is before the internal
amplifier, so is a cleaner signal.
If you use the "speaker feed" it is amplified by deck, then goes into the
Subamp input, where it is reduced to the line out level and then amplified
again.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

It is best to use the line out. The line out is before the internal
amplifier, so is a cleaner signal.

I would tend to agree. It is best to use the line-out, although for a
subwoofer I'm not sure there would be a lot of audible difference between
the two. But the main reason I would use the line-level outputs is so you
can use the speaker outputs to drive.....SPEAKERS (let's say a couple of
rear-fill). By using the line-level outputs, you increase the flexibility
of your system.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

MOSFET wrote:
It is best to use the line out. The line out is before the internal
amplifier, so is a cleaner signal.

I would tend to agree. It is best to use the line-out, although for a
subwoofer I'm not sure there would be a lot of audible difference between
the two. But the main reason I would use the line-level outputs is so you
can use the speaker outputs to drive.....SPEAKERS (let's say a couple of
rear-fill). By using the line-level outputs, you increase the flexibility
of your system.

Yeah, sounds like a lazy installer... probably used existing speaker
wiring to the back instead of running a new RCA line. Frankly, I'd go
back and insist he do it right.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0604-1, 01/24/2006
Tested on: 1/24/2006 10:03:18 AM

Posted to rec.audio.car
David Haggas

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
MOSFET wrote:
It is best to use the line out. The line out is before the internal
amplifier, so is a cleaner signal.

I would tend to agree. It is best to use the line-out, although for a
subwoofer I'm not sure there would be a lot of audible difference between
the two. But the main reason I would use the line-level outputs is so
you can use the speaker outputs to drive.....SPEAKERS (let's say a couple
of rear-fill). By using the line-level outputs, you increase the
flexibility of your system.

They are already running rear speakers - I presume he's chopped into them
somehow.

Yeah, sounds like a lazy installer... probably used existing speaker
wiring to the back instead of running a new RCA line. Frankly, I'd go
back and insist he do it right.

My feeling was that line outputs should have been used. The set does not
have any RCA outputs but there are some other connections which probably
provide this. Is a line level output variable? The way it is set up now the
sub gets louder with the other speakers (or appears to do). I do notice the
bass is 'boomy' from the sub rather than tight. Would that tie in with the
suggestion about the signal not being clean?

The unit is a Kenwood KSC-WA62RC
http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/speakers01/kscwa62rc.asp

The head unit is a factory fitted Alpine which has built in amplification
(not sure of the output)

David

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

MOSFET wrote:

[...]

Hmmm, line outputs are ALMOST always RCA-style. If it doesn't have
those, it may not have line-level outputs.

Is a line level output variable?

Yes.

The way it is set up now the
sub gets louder with the other speakers (or appears to do).

As it should.

I do notice the
bass is 'boomy' from the sub rather than tight. Would that tie in with the
suggestion about the signal not being clean?

Not likely.

A few possibilities:
1. The sub is poorly positioned and the car's acoustics are making
it "boomy",

2. More likely: rhere is no crossover on the sub or its amp, and
it's getting the full-range signal,

3. Most likely: the deck has some kind of bass boost intended
to make the stock speakers sound like they have more bottom
than they really do.

The unit is a Kenwood KSC-WA62RC
http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/speakers01/kscwa62rc.asp

The head unit is a factory fitted Alpine which has built in amplification
(not sure of the output)

Do you know what model number the deck is?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0604-1, 01/24/2006
Tested on: 1/24/2006 2:40:39 PM

Posted to rec.audio.car
David Haggas

"Matt Ion" wrote in message

Do you know what model number the deck is?

There is some info about it on this page relating to a compatible CD changer
http://www.addacdchanger.co.uk/produ...roducts_id=212

It has mini ISO sockets (no RCA's). The only way I could get the actual
model number would be to get it out of the dash - don't have the tool to do
it.

Thanks for the help Matt.

David