PVC pipe as sub enclosure?

Old July 11th 03, 02:04 PM
Jason

Default PVC pipe as sub enclosure?

I have been daydreaming about buting a new double cab Tacoma, but there is
nowhere to fit a sub in that cabin. I have been thinking of sliding an 8"
or maybe 10" high powere sub between the two rear passenger leg spaces. I
havent done any measurements or anything, but have been thinkign of what
would work.

I was thinking that a PVC pipe of the correct diameter, and sprayed with
sound dampener would make an axcellent box. I would seal both ends with
3/4" MDF and set the sub either face up or face down and give the box some
*feet* so the driver doesnt hit the floor.

Has anyone done this? How well does this work and how much is 10" PVC pipe?
Is it hard to find?

Old July 11th 03, 02:17 PM
David

Sounds like a Bazooka tube...

You can make an enclosure any shape you want, as long as you satisfy the
sub's volume requirements.

I have no idea about the cost of 10" PVC... Check a plumbing or contruction
supplier...

David
UnderTheDash.com

Old July 11th 03, 03:01 PM
Mark Zarella

It's certainly not the cheap way out and I don't see what you're trying to
gain here. I suspect 10" PVC caps are close to $100 at most suppliers...

Old July 11th 03, 03:34 PM
David

I understood that he was wanting to use the pipe, not caps. He stated that
the ends would be 3/4" MDF... I doubt that the pipe would cost more than
$20-30 per foot at the most...

I've used cardboard column formers in fiberglass work with good results, but
they're WAY too thin for use as a bass tube... You can get them at home
improvement stores for just a few bucks.

David
UnderTheDash.com

Old July 11th 03, 06:30 PM
Sanitarium

I am not a fan of tube sub enclosures. IMHO the subwoofer cant tell the
difference between a cube shaped enclosure volume or a cylindrical
shaped volume. As far as the sub is concerned, its just an enclosed
volume of air, with a certain resonant frequency. If youre after
maximum enclosure volume for your limited passenger compartment space
then a cube shaped enclosure will provide you more enclosure volume than
a cylinder, and will occupy the same amount of cabin space. Its simple
3D geometry... Cube -VS- cilinder, which has more volume per given
exterior dimension.

Sounds like a neat idea though...
Just my thoughts
Garrett

Old July 11th 03, 09:15 PM
Michael \(LS\)

"Jason" > wrote in message
> I have been daydreaming about buting a new double cab Tacoma, but there is
> nowhere to fit a sub in that cabin. I have been thinking of sliding an 8"
> or maybe 10" high powere sub between the two rear passenger leg spaces. I
> havent done any measurements or anything, but have been thinkign of what
> would work.
>
> I was thinking that a PVC pipe of the correct diameter, and sprayed with
> sound dampener would make an axcellent box. I would seal both ends with
> 3/4" MDF and set the sub either face up or face down and give the box some
> *feet* so the driver doesnt hit the floor.
>
> Has anyone done this? How well does this work and how much is 10" PVC

pipe?
> Is it hard to find?

Don't use PVC pipe. If you can find it it'll be pretty expensive and
there's better/cheaper options. Use Sonotube. It's available in sizes from
8"-24" diameter and is very strong. It's used as a form for house/deck
footings (it's placed in the ground and then filled with concrete).

There's a couple of sites about do-it-yourself subwoofer building (the home
variety, not car, but same principle) where they've used it. I remember
seeing a site where the guy took a 15" diameter sonotube that was 8' long,
cut it in half, and made two subs each 4' tall. IIRC he used some pretty
nice 12" subs and the results were pretty impressive.

Anyway, do a search and you should find lots more information.

HTH,

Michael (LS)

Old July 13th 03, 03:52 PM
Jack in Dallas

Look around a few job sites in your area for the green pvc tubing that is
used for water/sewage. There are usually plenty of pieces of various
diameters laying in the trash pile. I have some in 8, 12, and 15 inch
diameters. The bigger the diameter the thicker the walls. I use 1 inch
mdf for end caps. Have used it in trunks and in boats. The big stuff is
heavy though, i have a 4 foot piece of the 15 inch stuff and it weighs about
75 lbs. This stuff cuts easy enough and is easy to cover with carpet.
Jack in Dallas

Old June 18th 14, 08:47 AM posted to rec.audio.car

I am building a tube subwoofer from 12" waterline. Free from the city of red deer. Using a punch p2. 1 1/2 " mdf cap. And white carpet underlay for sound damping, glued in with contact cement...
Old June 19th 14, 05:46 AM posted to rec.audio.car
gregz

> wrote:
> I am building a tube subwoofer from 12" waterline. Free from the city of
> red deer. Using a punch p2. 1 1/2 " mdf cap. And white carpet underlay
> for sound damping, glued in with contact cement...

Should be just fine.

Greg
Old August 17th 14, 06:19 PM posted to rec.audio.car

I made one in the late 90's with a 8 inch dual voice coil Cerwin Vega. I capped the end off and used a 2 inch diameter port. It sounded like I had a couple 10' . I've been thinking lately about mass producing them. They sound good and take up a lot less space than a regular MDF enclosure.