"Modifying" Dynaudio tweets?

Old April 1st 04, 06:48 AM
Steve Grauman

Default "Modifying" Dynaudio tweets?

The tweets that came with my set of Dyns may be defective. If we have to get
new ones, the installer wants to try an install technique with them and I'm
worried about his methods. If you're familiar with the Dyn tweet (MD100?) that
comes in the System 240 MKII than you know about the rather large plastic
housing around the back of the tweeter. He wants to remove the housing from the
tweet and cut down the wire terminals that pertrude from the back of the tweet
so mounting them will be easier. He thinks the tweets may be grounding out onto
the metal behind them in the doors and this is what had caused my problems.
Should this affect anything?
Old April 1st 04, 07:33 AM
MZ

What were the symptoms that led him to believe it was grounding out? And
why not simply introduce an electrical insulator between the terminals and
the metal?

--
Mark
remove "remove" and "spam" to reply

Old April 1st 04, 07:50 AM
Steve Grauman

>What were the symptoms that led him to believe it was grounding out?

I am getting constant feedback from the system. I get noise at low volumes and
when a door is opened while the system is on, I get a massive, strange noise
through all the speakers. Somehow he traced this phenomenon back to the tweets,
but god knows how he made the decision that it's grounding out. Replacing the
Zapco 350 he sold me with a new one made no difference, the deck is not causing
the noise, and neither are the crossovers. I'd really like to get the tweets
replaced (I think they're damaged) but I don't think he'll do it, and come to
find out that he already modified the first pair (without telling me!!) so I
don't think that Dyn will honor a warranty claim on them. I'm screwed, I've got
no cash to replace this system and he refuses to do it.
Old April 1st 04, 07:55 AM
MZ

> >What were the symptoms that led him to believe it was grounding out?
>
> I am getting constant feedback from the system. I get noise at low volumes

and
> when a door is opened while the system is on, I get a massive, strange

noise
> through all the speakers. Somehow he traced this phenomenon back to the

tweets,
> but god knows how he made the decision that it's grounding out. Replacing

the
> Zapco 350 he sold me with a new one made no difference, the deck is not

causing
> the noise, and neither are the crossovers. I'd really like to get the

tweets
> replaced (I think they're damaged) but I don't think he'll do it, and come

> find out that he already modified the first pair (without telling me!!) so

> don't think that Dyn will honor a warranty claim on them. I'm screwed,

I've got
> no cash to replace this system and he refuses to do it.

Sounds like yet another installer nightmare. I hate it when they cut up
your speakers, without even clearing it with you first.

First, the noise when you open the door. You've made sure it's not
correlated with the interior lights, right? What happens when you wiggle
the tweeters in place? Go over bumps? What about the midrange speakers?
Has he checked those, to make sure they're not grounding out either?

See what he can do for you, I guess. But be prepared to do it yourself if
you want it done right.

Old April 1st 04, 08:22 AM
Jim

Hi

I have exactly the same question for my dynaudio tweeters MD 120. however,
I have this metal housing around mine and I want to install without it as
its so big...like 3.5" or so!

The question I wanna know is how will you secure the silk dome to the magnet
as this surround is what keeps it secure?

Thanks

Jim

Old April 2nd 04, 02:47 AM
Steve Grauman

>First, the noise when you open the door. You've made sure it's not
>correlated with the interior lights, right?

Yea. The car has daytime running lights that won't shut off but otherwise,
nothing is on when I hear the noise (besides the system).

>What happens when you wiggle
>the tweeters in place?

Doesn't seem to have any effect.

>Go over bumps?

Makes no difference.

> What about the midrange speakers?

They work perfectly. I have to say, I'm still having a ****ty time getting
these speakers to sound the way I want them to though.

>Has he checked those, to make sure they're not grounding out either?

Yupp, they've got lots of clearence.
Old April 2nd 04, 02:53 AM
MZ

Ok, he's probably right then. I assume that you've done the obvious test -
removing the tweeters and checking to see if the noise is there. An even
more helpful test would be to try one tweeter at a time. And then, assuming
the noise is there only when the tweeters are connected, see if the noise is
there when the tweeters are hooked up (with the same set of wires) but not
in the doors. If the noise goes away, then he's probably correct that it
may be grounding out. However, fixing that kind of issue is easy. Cover
the metal!

Old April 2nd 04, 06:55 AM
Steve Grauman

>However, fixing that kind of issue is easy. Cover
>the metal!

With what?
Old April 3rd 04, 08:32 PM
Tha Ghee

"Steve Grauman" > wrote in message
> >However, fixing that kind of issue is easy. Cover
> >the metal!

> With what?

anything that won't conduct elec.