Amps, more argument!

Old February 12th 04, 10:16 AM
Tha Ghee

Default Amps, more argument!

"Soundfreak03" > wrote in message
> >The customer that walks in without
> >>knowing will just go in and get which one "sounds better" but what they

will
> >>fail to realize is that they could probably have gotten more amp for

less
> >>money!!!!

> >Yeah if they bought of that was stolen.

> Have you been hanging out with your buddy Ghee too much? Try putting down

the
> crack pipe for 5 minutes and try again.

what did I do, are you mad at me Les??

Old February 14th 04, 03:47 PM
merlinx76

I know my tests aren't scientific but I remember listening to some hom
audio receivers awhile back.

I was looking at one that was 100W X 2 . It was on sale for $300 dow
from $400. I listened to it to it and I was gonna get it, then, m
friend with me said "try that one over there". A $250 50W x 2 amp
After listening to the same song on the same speakers with the 2 amps
am absolutly certain that the small one sounded better (in the highe
freq's anyway) so that's the one I bought ...at full price.

You guys that argue there is no difference, power is power...How do yo
explain that there was an obvious difference? Can't one amp have a mor
linear frequency responce than another
-
merlinx7
CarAudioForum.com - Usenet Gateway w/over one million posts online
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthr...threadid=17481

Old February 14th 04, 04:17 PM
Mark Zarella

> I know my tests aren't scientific but I remember listening to some home
> audio receivers awhile back.
>
> I was looking at one that was 100W X 2 . It was on sale for $300 down
> from $400. I listened to it to it and I was gonna get it, then, my
> friend with me said "try that one over there". A $250 50W x 2 amp.
> After listening to the same song on the same speakers with the 2 amps I
> am absolutly certain that the small one sounded better (in the higher
> freq's anyway) so that's the one I bought ...at full price.
>
> You guys that argue there is no difference, power is power...How do you
> explain that there was an obvious difference?

There are a number of reasons, and they've all been outlined in this thread
so I won't rehash them. But in your case, don't be fooled by power RATINGS.
It's one of the tricks (in car audio at least) that more expensive amplifier
marketing departments use to give the impression that their amp is better.
That's why some companies underrate their amplifiers.

> Can't one amp have a more
> linear frequency responce than another?

They can, but if you test them, you'll find that they don't.