Dr. Alan J. Lipman

Default Minor Audio Disaster: HELP!

A thorny problem that happened tonight. Would appreciate your ideas and
expertise.

What happened:

I was fiddling around with my electric guitar plugged into a smokey
amp. I had my 16 Track Korg Digital recording on a single channel with
a mic plugged into the channel. Inspired, I recorded a series of 8
songs--vocals and music-- straight into the mic.

Stopped. Listened. The amp overpowers the vocals--you can hear the
vocal throughout but can only sometimes hear them loud enough to make
out the words. I wrote them as I was singing them, so can no longer
remember what they are--but I like them, and would like to be able to
hear them so I can write them down and rerecord the songs properly.

So, I've been fiddling around with the eq on this thing--I'm a relative
novice--trying to bring up the vocals. This has some useful effect but
not quite enough to bring out the vocals, although I don't think I have
exhausted all the possibilities. It has an eq that you can apply per
channel as an insert effect, as well as an eq that you can use on the
channel as a master effect. I've also been toying with other
effects--exciter, reverb--trying to bring out the vocals. I am
extremely new to eq and effects in general

I have a tenor voice. Any clever ideas on how to bring the
vocals or subdue the guitar on this thing so I can hear the vocals? I
just need to be able to hear them well enough to distinguish the words.

Your creative ideas are appreciated!

Best,

Alan
Jonny Durango

I have a tenor voice. Any clever ideas on how to bring the
vocals or subdue the guitar on this thing so I can hear the vocals? I
just need to be able to hear them well enough to distinguish the words.

perhaps you could mute, or lower the volume on the guitar channel?

eq does not = db

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

"Dr. Alan J. Lipman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Walter Harley

"Jonny Durango" wrote in message
perhaps you could mute, or lower the volume on the guitar channel?

If I correctly read the OP, his problem is that he recorded the whole thing
with only one mic. He doesn't have a "guitar channel."

Presumably next time he repeats the experiment, he will use two channels and
two tracks, or at least spend more time getting a good guitar/vocal balance.
For now, his problem is how to recover his once-inspired and now-lost
lyrics. (A really impertinent part of me keeps wanting to say "dude, smoke
some more of the same thing you were smoking when you wrote the words, and
they'll come right back to you." But I have no reason to believe that has
anything to do with the actual situation, I just think it's funny to say.)

agent86

Walter Harley wrote:

A really impertinent part of me keeps wanting to say "dude,
smoke some more of the same thing you were smoking when you wrote the
words, and
they'll come right back to you." But I have no reason to believe that has
anything to do with the actual situation, I just think it's funny to say.

He did say he was plugged into a smokey amp.

JD

Not sure if it will help but maybe try compressing the crap out it in
conjunction with eq'ing to isolate the vocals Make sure you don't have any
reverb or other "effects" on as that will just muddy the sound. I've been
mixing on the D1600 for a friend of mine and it has a lot of flexibility.
My best advice is to keep trying different things. You might get lucky.
JD

"Dr. Alan J. Lipman" wrote:

[...]

Laurence Payne

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 02:48:36 GMT, "Jonny Durango"
wrote:

I have a tenor voice. Any clever ideas on how to bring the
vocals or subdue the guitar on this thing so I can hear the vocals? I
just need to be able to hear them well enough to distinguish the words.

perhaps you could mute, or lower the volume on the guitar channel?

eq does not = db

He doesn't have a guitar channel. That's the whole problem.

Play with eq. Find a boost setting that makes the guitar even more
annoying, then cut that frequency. Try taking ALL the bass end out.
Try over-the-top amounts of compression, then eq. You'll never get
a presentable result, but you may be able to decipher more of the
vocals.

Eric K. Weber

Try a high pass filter at 400HZ and a low pass at 3500HZ no
compression...listen in a quiet room at low levels on headphones.

Recruit a younger listener who will likely be able to hear the voice in it's
"noisy" background better.

Regards:
Eric

recruit a younger listener, who "rick hollett"
wrote in message ...
Since your voice is in the tenor range, you might try rolling off

everything
below 200Hz, if you haven't done so already. The trouble is, it's hard to
boost or cut one without affecting the other

Rick Hollett

"Dr. Alan J. Lipman" wrote:

[...]

Walter Harley

"Eric K. Weber" wrote in message
Try a high pass filter at 400HZ and a low pass at 3500HZ no
compression...listen in a quiet room at low levels on headphones.

I think that 3500Hz might be too low, depending on the slope. To pick out
words you need to get the difference between consonants like 't' and 'd',
'f' and 's' - a lot of that stuff is more like 5kHz. That's why it's hard
to spell things over the telephone, and that's why de-essers focus on
frequencies above 3kHz.

Ed Anson

Eric K. Weber wrote:
Try a high pass filter at 400HZ and a low pass at 3500HZ no
compression...listen in a quiet room at low levels on headphones.

That's an excellent idea. I might even add a boost around 1.75 KHz to
enhance the fundamental frequency of the consonants.