Matt Macchiarolo

Default Lubricating a Variac dimmer

I am in the process of installing a used Luxtrol variac-type light dimmer in
my main room, and although it works fine it seems kind of grabby. Would
spraying the contact surface on the coil with DeOxit be recommended for
smoother operation? Any reason this might be considered a no-no?

TIA

--
---
Matt Macchiarolo

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty." -Edward R. Murrow

Phil Allison

"Matt Macchiarolo"

I am in the process of installing a used Luxtrol variac-type light dimmer
in
my main room, and although it works fine it seems kind of grabby. Would
spraying the contact surface on the coil with DeOxit be recommended for
smoother operation? Any reason this might be considered a no-no?

** Probably will not help - better to open it up and check for damage
( burn marks ) to the contact areas and particularly wear or damage the
carbon brush in the moving head itself.

Variacs should operate in a silky smooth fashion.

.............. Phil

Arny Krueger

"Matt Macchiarolo" wrote in message
news
I am in the process of installing a used Luxtrol variac-type light
dimmer in my main room, and although it works fine it seems kind of
grabby. Would spraying the contact surface on the coil with DeOxit be
recommended for smoother operation? Any reason this might be
considered a no-no?

I had a variac that was stiff, and freed it up by lubricating the shaft.

Scott Dorsey

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:
I am in the process of installing a used Luxtrol variac-type light dimmer in
my main room, and although it works fine it seems kind of grabby. Would
spraying the contact surface on the coil with DeOxit be recommended for
smoother operation? Any reason this might be considered a no-no?

DeOxit or Cailube won't hurt it, but I doubt it's going to make it all
that much smoother. I suspect what you are going to have to do is
get some grease into the bushing that holds the center post. This might
mean taking the while thing apart, removing the center rod and cleaning
and regreasing it with white grease. You _might_ be able to squirt some
Super Lube spray in there instead. The problem is most probably the
shaft binding rather than the slider itself binding.

Mike Rivers

What? No WD-40?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Mike Rivers

What? No WD-40?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Matt Macchiarolo

I only use that to dry out the ignition parts in my Jeep if the creek is
deeper than it looks...

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

What? No WD-40?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Matt Macchiarolo

I only use that to dry out the ignition parts in my Jeep if the creek is
deeper than it looks...

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

What? No WD-40?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Scott Dorsey

In article znr1101938658k@trad, Mike Rivers wrote:

What? No WD-40?

Man, I heard they banned that stuff in Australia now. Kids use it to get
high with, you know.

Phil Allison

"Scott Dorsey"

What? No WD-40?

Man, I heard they banned that stuff in Australia now. Kids use it to get
high with, you know.

** If Dorsey tells you something - then believe the exact opposite.

............... Phil

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Phil Allison" wrote in message ...

** If Dorsey tells you something - then believe the exact opposite.

Yes... he told me you were *the* man....

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Phil Allison" wrote in message ...

** If Dorsey tells you something - then believe the exact opposite.

Yes... he told me you were *the* man....

Phil Allison

"David Morgan (MAMS)"

"Phil Allison"

** If Dorsey tells you something - then believe the exact opposite.

Yes... he told me you were *the* man....

** He told me you were a turd burglar.

.............. Phil

Tommy B

You know, you might be the most brilliant fellow on the planet, but no one
cares, cause you are such an asshole.
Go sit on a crumpet, schmuck.
Tom

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"David Morgan (MAMS)"

"Phil Allison"

** If Dorsey tells you something - then believe the exact opposite.

Yes... he told me you were *the* man....

** He told me you were a turd burglar.

............. Phil

Matt Macchiarolo

Dorsey told me Allison *wasn't* a turd-burglar. Using Fill Ass-illon's
logic, the opposite must be true.

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in message

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

** If Dorsey tells you something - then believe the exact opposite.

Yes... he told me you were *the* man....

S O'Neill

Phil Allison wrote:

"Scott Dorsey"

What? No WD-40?

Man, I heard they banned that stuff in Australia now. Kids use it to get
high with, you know.

** If Dorsey tells you something - then believe the exact opposite.

.............. Phil

Kids don't get high with it.
Kids get depressed on it.
Only adults get high on it.

It's not banned in Australia.
It's allowed only in Australia.
They banned WD-1 thru WD-39 in Australia.
They used to ban that stuff in Australia.
An Australian ban seems inevitable at this point.

A woman was the intended recipient.
He was talking to a boy.

You don't know.
Everyone else but you knows.

You're really him.

Which one is exact?

Phil Allison

"Tommy B"
You know, you might be the most brilliant fellow on the planet, but no one
cares, cause you are such an asshole.

** Must be another one of Dorsey's brain dead cock suckers.

............. Phil

Phil Allison

"Matt Macchiarolo"
Dorsey told me Allison *wasn't* a turd-burglar. Using Fill Ass-illon's
logic, the opposite must be true.

** Absolutely another one of Dorsey's brain dead cock suckers.

A stinking top poster as well.

................. Phil

Tommy B

I've never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Dorsey.
Still it's easy to tell the positive from the negative.
If the level of your insults, are any indication of your creativity, I can
see why you feel so inadequate.
Stew in your own bile Phil, it seems you've grown to enjoy the taste.
All the best,
Tom

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

** Must be another one of Dorsey's brain dead cock suckers.

Phil Allison

"Tommy B"
I've never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Dorsey.

** But you have wet dreams about the day.

Still it's easy to tell the positive from the negative.

** Not for someone with zero tech knowledge like you.

If the level of your insults, are any indication of your creativity,

** Only brain dead cock suckers use such criteria.