Nat

Default guitar cable

For recording, how long does guitar cable have to get before I should
start thinking about direct boxes and XLRs?
Danny

I have never had a problem with 10 feet but I have with 15 and longer.
having said that, I have a stack of 20 and 25 foot chords. The
environment becomes really important as you get longer

Nat wrote:

For recording, how long does guitar cable have to get before I should
start thinking about direct boxes and XLRs?

Kurt Albershardt

Danny wrote:

having said that, I have a stack of 20 and 25 foot chords.

Major or minor?

Logan Shaw

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Danny wrote:

having said that, I have a stack of 20 and 25 foot chords.

Major or minor?

Major, obviously. A 25 foot pipe and a 20 foot pipe would produce
a major third. Although it'd be a pretty low-pitched one...

- Logan
Arny Krueger

"Nat" wrote in message
om

For recording, how long does guitar cable have to get before I should
start thinking about direct boxes and XLRs?

I suspect that the big issue is capacitive loading of the inductive pickup
by cable capacitance and the direct box itself.

XLRs aren't going to help. An active direct box would probably help the
most. A good transformer-based direct box can buy you a lot.

Scott Dorsey

Pooh Bear wrote:

p.s. there should be some issues involved in operating electrical equipment that close to
a bath / shower.

The OP should consider investing in an ELCB/RCCD device or whatever you normally call
them in the USA.

Or a pignose! Sounds really good! Won't hurt you if it falls in the tub!
Probably will even keep working if it falls in the tub.
Nat

You realize someone will try this and then sue you .... or their family
will :-)

Ha. I'm a trial lawyer, and I already have the Complaint together.
Expect service within a week.

Michael R. Kesti

Nat wrote:

For recording, how long does guitar cable have to get before I should
start thinking about direct boxes and XLRs?

It's not like there is a length where it's suddenly too long. Whether
recording or otherwise performing, the answer is when your ears tell you
that the cable length is resulting in unacceptible high frequency loss.

| two, one and one make one."
| - The Who, Bargain
hank alrich

Logan Shaw wrote:

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Danny wrote:

having said that, I have a stack of 20 and 25 foot chords.

Major or minor?

Major, obviously. A 25 foot pipe and a 20 foot pipe would produce
a major third. Although it'd be a pretty low-pitched one...

You'd need pretty big lungs to work a pipe that long.

--
ha

FA: Neve, Manley, TT patch cables, Eventide, Neumann, Coles, bulk cable, connectors, etc. Lowndes Pro Audio 0 March 6th 04 05:01 PM
Some serious cable measurements with interesting results. Bruno Putzeys High End Audio 78 December 19th 03 03:27 AM
Mic Questions Twist Turner Pro Audio 22 November 25th 03 03:04 AM
Wiring Parker Guitar Cable Thomas Bishop Pro Audio 2 October 30th 03 09:08 PM
Quad snake cable Justin Ulysses Morse Pro Audio 8 July 3rd 03 05:10 PM