Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] n.torrey.pines@gmail.com is offline

Default headphone cord durability

I've owned dozens of headphones in my life, and I don't remember any
whose connecting cord lasted significantly longer than a few months or
a year.

Are there headphone manufacturers known for their wire durability?

I'm now again looking to buy a set of earbud-style headphones for use
with my laptop.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote...
I've owned dozens of headphones in my life, and I don't remember any
whose connecting cord lasted significantly longer than a few months or
a year.

Are there headphone manufacturers known for their wire durability?

I'm now again looking to buy a set of earbud-style headphones for use
with my laptop.

I've got six pair of Sony MDR-7506 and ten pair of MDR-7502
headphones and the only failure I've had is the one that got
run over. What on earth are you doing with your headphones?
If you're trying to wear them while mud wrestling or something,
consider wireless headphones? :-)

My primary recollection of Torrey Pines was standing on a big
rock surrounded by manzanita bushes with a rattle-snake under
every one of them. Or at least that is how it sounded from my
POV.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] n.torrey.pines@gmail.com is offline

On Sep 22, 5:39 pm, Eeyore
I've owned dozens of headphones in my life, and I don't remember any
whose connecting cord lasted significantly longer than a few months or
a year.

What do you do to them ?

Nothing beyond the intended usage.

How do they fail ?

They stop being a reliable conductor of electricity due to internal
breakage or short-circuit. Were you expecting a different answer?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] n.torrey.pines@gmail.com is offline

On Sep 22, 8:37 pm, Eeyore
wrote:

As you may have noticed, your problem seems to unique to you. It must be
something you're doing. Rough treatment is the obvious possibility. Do you pull
the plug out by the lead for example ?

Not intentionally. One man's rough treatment is another man's normal
wear and tear.

For what it's worth, I've never torn or came close to tearing the
actual cord in half or caused any other visible damage.

I'm looking for headphones that can withstand my level of (ab)use,
even if it's above average. Any brand recommendations?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote...
I'm looking for headphones that can withstand my level of (ab)use,
even if it's above average. Any brand recommendations?

Not easy to guess when you gave us no examples of the
brands/models you found to be "fragile"?

"One man's rough treatment is another man's normal
wear and tear."

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
ps.com

I've owned dozens of headphones in my life, and I don't
remember any whose connecting cord lasted significantly
longer than a few months or a year.

That's pretty dire. My miliage varies. I've got a well-used pair of 7506's
that are maybe 6 or 7 years old.

Are there headphone manufacturers known for their wire
durability?

Well Sennheiser makes a number of phones like the HD 580 that have a
user-replacable cord. I'm on my third in maybe 5 years.

Im now again looking to buy a set of earbud-style headphones for use with
my laptop.

Shure IEMs are IME among the more robust of the bunch.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

My primary recollection of Torrey Pines was standing on a
big rock surrounded by manzanita bushes with a
rattle-snake under every one of them. Or at least that is
how it sounded from my POV.

All the tourists must have chased the rattle snakes off since then. I've
been there a number of times, and its the nude bathing that stands out in my
mind. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl Uppiano Karl Uppiano is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 22, 8:37 pm, Eeyore
wrote:

As you may have noticed, your problem seems to unique to you. It must be
something you're doing. Rough treatment is the obvious possibility. Do
you pull
the plug out by the lead for example ?

Not intentionally. One man's rough treatment is another man's normal
wear and tear.

For what it's worth, I've never torn or came close to tearing the
actual cord in half or caused any other visible damage.

I'm looking for headphones that can withstand my level of (ab)use,
even if it's above average. Any brand recommendations?

The cord *is* usually the weakest link. In broadcast stations, where DJs
often wear headphones while recording or on the air, and take them on and
off dozens of times in a shift, the cords are usually the first thing to
fail. I don't know how many times I've been asked to fix them. It is usually
impossible.

The toughest headphone cords I have encountered were on the HD-414's and
some related products by Sennheiser in the '70s and '80s. Not only that, but
the cords and ear pads were replaceable, so a set of HD-414s could last
indefinitely in an industrial setting. I don't know if anyone is still
building them like that anymore. I've been out of the broadcast business for
20 years.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sep 23, 12:38 pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

That's pretty dire. My miliage varies. I've got a well-used pair of 7506's
that are maybe 6 or 7 years old.

Well Sennheiser makes a number of phones like the HD 580 that have a
user-replacable cord. I'm on my third in maybe 5 years.

Aha! So it's not just me. I'm guessing if you weren't using your other
headphones (7506), you could have averaged a year per cord with the
Sennheiser.

I guess I'm better off buying earbuds in bulk.

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well Sennheiser makes a number of phones like the HD 580 that have a
user-replacable cord. I'm on my third in maybe 5 years.

Aha! So it's not just me. I'm guessing if you weren't using your other
headphones (7506), you could have averaged a year per cord with the
Sennheiser.

Or maybe not. My HD580's still have the original cord after 5 years or so.
And my HD414's still have the original cord after 10 or more years.
My 20 year old Sony's had the copper conductors turn into green slime
however!

MrT.