pauly

Default ADDING static to a wave file.

This may sound counter productive to 99% of the audio editing software
out there.

What I need is a wave editing program that will allow you to add static
to a voice recording. Similiar to the static you would hear on a am
station during a thunderstorm.

For the ham radio situation, we want to mess up our clear crisp
recordings so they act as a real world RF transmission for training
purposes.

Unfortunately almost every wave editing software states that it can
remove static. Do any have the option to add bursts of real world
static?

Ricky Hunt

"pauly" wrote in message
oups.com...
This may sound counter productive to 99% of the audio editing software
out there.

What I need is a wave editing program that will allow you to add static
to a voice recording. Similiar to the static you would hear on a am
station during a thunderstorm.

For the ham radio situation, we want to mess up our clear crisp
recordings so they act as a real world RF transmission for training
purposes.

Unfortunately almost every wave editing software states that it can
remove static. Do any have the option to add bursts of real world
static?

Try this DX plugin (if you can use plugins). It might be adjustable enough
to just us the static without the "record" noise. If not most editors (Cool
Edit, Soundforge, etc.) allow you generate tones and noise that should allow
you to come up with something pretty convincing.

Most audio editors (Goldwave, Cool Edit, etc) allow you to mix two (or
more)
sounds together....so you could take some static off the air, digitize
it, then
mix it with your clear recording and save that as a file....

Scott Dorsey

pauly wrote:

What I need is a wave editing program that will allow you to add static
to a voice recording. Similiar to the static you would hear on a am
station during a thunderstorm.

So, record noise from an AM station into a file, then mix it up.

For the ham radio situation, we want to mess up our clear crisp
recordings so they act as a real world RF transmission for training
purposes.

If it's SSB, you should know that the noise on an SSB channel is very
different than the noise on an AM channel. Also, there is a huge amount
of group delay at the edge of the audio passband because of the phase
networks used in typical SSB systems, combined with ringing from narrow
filters. This affects intelligibility as much as the channel noise.

There are actually systems out there designed as SSB channel simulators,
and I know a couple of them have been built in Matlab.

Unfortunately almost every wave editing software states that it can
remove static. Do any have the option to add bursts of real world
static?

The same way you add any other file. But be aware that static isn't
always bursty!
Richard Crowley

chobbs wrote ...
Most audio editors (Goldwave, Cool Edit, etc) allow you
to mix two (or more) sounds together....so you could take
some static off the air, digitize it, then mix it with your clear
recording and save that as a file....

Exactly. Another (free) alternative is Audacity
http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/
Recording your own samples of noise (QRM and/or QRN)
should be easy enough. You could create a whole library
of different levels of each.

Mike Gilmour

"pauly" wrote in message
oups.com...
This may sound counter productive to 99% of the audio editing software
out there.

What I need is a wave editing program that will allow you to add static
to a voice recording. Similiar to the static you would hear on a am
station during a thunderstorm.

For the ham radio situation, we want to mess up our clear crisp
recordings so they act as a real world RF transmission for training
purposes.

Unfortunately almost every wave editing software states that it can
remove static. Do any have the option to add bursts of real world
static?

Suggest for real world RF transmission training to use both lightening and
rain static. Rain static is very much like white noise, from my South China
Sea experiences it can quickly build up locally to obliterate all but the
strongest MF transmissions.

Mike

Norbert Hahn

"pauly" wrote:

This may sound counter productive to 99% of the audio editing software
out there.

What I need is a wave editing program that will allow you to add static
to a voice recording. Similiar to the static you would hear on a am
station during a thunderstorm.

Maybe you are looking for CAR:

SCNR
Norbert

Dave

Scott,
Do you know how they did the static-y effect at the beginning of Pink
Floyd's "Wish You Were Here"? It has that phasey, drifting shortwave sound
like you are describing.

dave

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
pauly wrote:

[...]

Kurt Albershardt

Ricky Hunt wrote:

Try this DX plugin (if you can use plugins). It might be adjustable enough
to just us the static without the "record" noise. If not most editors (Cool
Edit, Soundforge, etc.) allow you generate tones and noise that should allow
you to come up with something pretty convincing.

I think he was referring to Izotope's Vinyl
http://izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/
Ricky Hunt

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message
Ricky Hunt wrote:

Try this DX plugin (if you can use plugins). It might be adjustable
enough to just us the static without the "record" noise. If not most
editors (Cool Edit, Soundforge, etc.) allow you generate tones and noise
that should allow you to come up with something pretty convincing.

I think he was referring to Izotope's Vinyl
http://izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/

Oops. Did I forget to put the link? If so, yes, that was the plugin.

Ricky Hunt

"Dave" wrote in message
Scott,
Do you know how they did the static-y effect at the beginning of Pink
Floyd's "Wish You Were Here"? It has that phasey, drifting shortwave sound
like you are describing.

I would guess just transmitting it to a nearby radio and recording it.

Scott Dorsey

Dave wrote:
Scott,
Do you know how they did the static-y effect at the beginning of Pink
Floyd's "Wish You Were Here"? It has that phasey, drifting shortwave sound
like you are describing.

My bet is that they used a guitar phase pedal. Another way to get a
less dramatic version is to use a parametric EQ, set the filter up
really tight, and then sweep it back and forth by hand across the
midrange. Really weird sound when the filter is moving, not much
audible when the knob is at rest.

I'll say that when you hear THAT kind of thing on the radio, it's mostly
caused by comb filtering. There are often several layers of ionosphere
up there that the radio signals bounce off of, and they come back down
in several reflections that interfere with one another and cause comb
filtering. It wavers in and out because the layers are not completely
stable.

Question about distortion Sm704 Car Audio 46 October 18th 04 03:38 AM
File Sharing, in case you haven't heard... John Payne Pro Audio 139 May 17th 04 10:58 PM
What Software for Editing Sound on PC SPS22 Tech 464 January 27th 04 12:58 AM
wave file to cd r Randy General 3 January 15th 04 04:57 PM
unknown audio file format M.Laymon General 1 October 31st 03 03:25 PM