Posted to rec.audio.car
Dan Dan is offline

Default Old Kraco stereo no negative speaker wires

Hello,

I recently came into possesion of an old Kraco AM/FM/CB shaft radio
(NOS). I want to mount it in my Jeep. Problem is.....the factory
wiring "harness" consists of 4 wires: Power,Ground,Left speaker + and
Right Speaker +.......no speaker -'s

Any ideas ?

Thanks, Dan
Posted to rec.audio.car
isaeagle4031 isaeagle4031 is offline

IIRC the ground is also the speaker -

--
isaeagle4031
Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Dan" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently came into possesion of an old Kraco AM/FM/CB shaft radio
(NOS). I want to mount it in my Jeep. Problem is.....the factory
wiring "harness" consists of 4 wires: Power,Ground,Left speaker + and
Right Speaker +.......no speaker -'s

Any ideas ?

Thanks, Dan

The ground wire is also the speaker negatives

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article , (GregS) wrote:
Hello,

I recently came into possesion of an old Kraco AM/FM/CB shaft radio
(NOS). I want to mount it in my Jeep. Problem is.....the factory
wiring "harness" consists of 4 wires: Power,Ground,Left speaker + and
Right Speaker +.......no speaker -'s

Any ideas ?

The radio does not a have a bridged output. The maximum output into 4 ohms
will be about 4 watts vs 16 watts bridged. Take 14 volts dived by 2, times
.707,
times itself, divided by 4. Half that wattage for 8 ohm speakers.

There is voltage loss in the semiconductors, so absolute voltage is
not relistic.

When bridging first started being more common back in the late
70's, they called those units high power. ALl of 16 watts, and the companies
use all kinds of ploy to make it appear higher than 16 watts.

My first high power external amp was the Craig
Powerplay with 35 watts / ch. About the biggest amp available at the time.
It has to use a internal DC-DC converter power suply using transistor
swithching to get more power from the 12 volt system. Later, Mosfet switching
became normal, providing more efficiency. Vertually all modern amps are transistor
amps with Mosfet power supplies, except for direct switching amps, and they call them
switcjing amps, not Mosfet amps.

So you really didn't want to know all this anyway.

greg