Christopher Scott

Default question & problem w/ new Onkyo gear

Dear all:

I've just bought a new Onkyo DV-SP302 DVD player and Onkyo TX-SR502
receiver could use a little help. First, my question:

The receiver is rated at 75 watts per channel, 6 ohm speaker support
and the speakers I'm using, a leftover set from my previous system, are
rated at 3 ohms. Will I cause any damage by using this combination? I'm
noticing that I have to turn up the receiver to "20" (max. is 80) in
order to get a reasonable sound level; maybe that's not a big deal,
considering that's only 25% (!)...

As for my problem, the DVD player seems to stutter every 7-10 seconds,
as if a frame or two of video is dropped. It's very minor but
consistent and noticeable, reagrdess of the DCD being played. Am I
doing something wrong or should I return the unit?

Any guidance would be much appreciated...

Ian S

"Christopher Scott" wrote in message
news:2005030101115731405%chrisjscott@NOSPAMyahooco m...
Dear all:

I've just bought a new Onkyo DV-SP302 DVD player and Onkyo TX-SR502
receiver could use a little help. First, my question:

The receiver is rated at 75 watts per channel, 6 ohm speaker support
and the speakers I'm using, a leftover set from my previous system, are
rated at 3 ohms. Will I cause any damage by using this combination? I'm
noticing that I have to turn up the receiver to "20" (max. is 80) in
order to get a reasonable sound level; maybe that's not a big deal,
considering that's only 25% (!)...

As long as you're not getting distortion, you should be OK.

As for my problem, the DVD player seems to stutter every 7-10 seconds,
as if a frame or two of video is dropped. It's very minor but
consistent and noticeable, reagrdess of the DCD being played. Am I
doing something wrong or should I return the unit?

If it's stuttering on commercial DVD movies then I'd take it back. It should
even play video DVD's made on someone's computer although that's an iffier
situation.

Robert Morein

"Christopher Scott" wrote in message
news:2005030101115731405%chrisjscott@NOSPAMyahooco m...
Dear all:

I've just bought a new Onkyo DV-SP302 DVD player and Onkyo TX-SR502
receiver could use a little help. First, my question:

The receiver is rated at 75 watts per channel, 6 ohm speaker support
and the speakers I'm using, a leftover set from my previous system, are
rated at 3 ohms. Will I cause any damage by using this combination?

What model speakers are these, that have a 3 ohm nominal impedance?

I'm
noticing that I have to turn up the receiver to "20" (max. is 80) in
order to get a reasonable sound level; maybe that's not a big deal,
considering that's only 25% (!)...

It depends upon your pattern of usage.
The lower the impedance, the greater the heat generated in the amplifier.
Since HT receivers are marginal in this respect, it will shorten the
lifetime of the equipment -- if you listen at moderate or greater levels.

I disagree slightly with Ian S. The amplifier can be stressed, even if it is
not clipping, if you play at moderate or greater levels, particularly if the
ventilation is marginal.

If you've stuffed the receiver into a closed cabinet, or have anything on
top of it, you are definitely looking for trouble. Make sure there's plenty
of space on all sides.

As for my problem, the DVD player seems to stutter every 7-10 seconds,
as if a frame or two of video is dropped. It's very minor but
consistent and noticeable, reagrdess of the DCD being played. Am I
doing something wrong or should I return the unit?

Any guidance would be much appreciated...

Return it.