Uros Podlogar

Default Heybrook HB3 speakers?

Is there anyone with Heybrook HB3 speakers? What is your opinion about these
speakers?

Best regards

Uros

George M. Middius

Uros Podlogar said:

Is there anyone with Heybrook HB3 speakers? What is your opinion about these
speakers?

I found a raft of opinions. Here are some:

1
had been using small missionsand i now find these speakers very enjoyable

Strengths:
plenty base and sound not very tiring

Weaknesses:
not so good with very heavy rock sound a bit too mellow

2
found them to be good performers with all types of music, but perhaps best
suited for home theatre.

Right out of the box, good build quality is evident. They are weighty,
enclosures tightly constructed, with good fit and finish. The front panel is
made with 1.3 in. MDF, and they are well-braced internally. I particularly
like the apparent quality of driver construction. With the covers removed,
the units display a "jewel-like" appearance to me, with the woven kevlar 6.5
in. woofers, and the two small ports.

I have used these with both a H-K AVI-200 II, and an ESS amplifier with
Onkyo P-301 preamplifier. Signal sources primarily VCR, and Phillips CD-921.
These loudspeakers are not "rockers". They seem to be happier with the lower
powered HK, approximately 100wpc into their 6 ohm load. Even at similar
volume levels, The ESS, with its 250wpc into 8 ohms, seems a little much for
them. The Onkyo is superior to the preamp section of the H-K, so I'm using
it in conjunction with the HK amp section.

These speakers do a good job with lighter classical, such as harpsichord,
but larger works with heavy transient bass are difficult for them at
anything above moderate levels. Having said that, they do pretty well with
classical pipe organ, since the low frequencies are not transient in nature.
I find the balance to be as described in the previous review, with the highs
and mids good, but somewhat overpowered by the low end. This is not
displeasing to me, and perhaps explains my preference for them in HT use.

Imaging is good, with the speakers well away from the rear wall, and toed-in
to intersect the listening plane at its center. Depth of image is very good.
On home theatre, their ability to fill the wall with sound exceeds that of
my magneplanars, which surprised me, but is their only point of superiority
over them, and only with HT.

Overall, I am well-pleased with these small, but capable speakers, and would
recommend them as a good all-around choice for music and HT use.

Strengths:
Constuction, imaging, versatility.

Weaknesses:
Power-handling, frequency balance.

3
speakers or heard them in a shop, I really did take the sales man`s word for
it! and it came to great relief to find these speakers are superb. Build is
not so much solid, more like everything fits together in a light and elegent
way, if you know what I mean, these are remarkably light speakers and to
compensate Heybrook have left the bottom of the cabnit empty to allow sand
or what ever to fill in the space, adding to the overall weight. This not
only improves bass weight ( which is impressive anyway) but also the sound
stage.

Bass wise, these sound engergetic and worm. For home cinema or music, they
work well for both, although don`t drive them too hard because they will not
do well at excessive volumes. Mid range does`nt feel as present as it
probably should, but still outperforms most speakers at the price. Treble
is`nt as bright as I would like however. I have never really been blown away
by its performence top end, maybe because the bass overshadows it, or it
could just be my amp, but never mind.

Overall I would recommend these speakers to all. For music or home cinema,
they don`t come much better than this, or perform with quite so much class.

Strengths:
Bass, build, detail, staging, and price.

Weaknesses:
Treble does not 'sparkle' as much as it possibly could.

Jim Gregory

Heard Heybrooks and Harbeths over 10 years ago when visiting an enthusiast's
house, and they all sounded mellow and, dare I say, bass-accurate, but we
were actually *listening* to classical music on vinyl and DAT, and I did
not, for once, get distracted by - and make allowances for - the hardware
brands, and I knew this demonstrator hated any exaggerated, flamboyant,
extrovert equalisation [or curve-wrecking].

I know the Heybrooks were not the model HB3, by comparison those were
definitely smaller and on pin-point supports half-way up the corner walls
(of a smallish room).
The Harbeths in another lounge were as good a pair with which to appreciate
the recorded material amplified also amped via a Quad 405.
On reflection after I left, I felt they had sounded good enough to make me
feel jealous of that humble person's money-well-spent setups.
Jim