Posted to rec.audio.tech
foggie foggie is offline

Default old tech reciever

To one and all:
I have a Sansui 9090DB reciever, circa 1975, that is a bit hissy. My
command of electronics a little on the spotty side, but I have heard as the
electrolytic capacitors age, they can introduce noise in the form of hiss.
If this is true, would replcing all of the electrolytic caps reduce
this noise? Any help advice/information would be appreciated...........
Are there any websites that sell copies of service manuals on these
old critters out there?
Thanks in advance
Foggie
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

foggie wrote:
To one and all:
I have a Sansui 9090DB reciever, circa 1975, that is a bit
hissy. My command of electronics a little on the spotty side, but I
have heard as the electrolytic capacitors age, they can introduce
noise in the form of hiss. If this is true, would replcing all
of the electrolytic caps reduce
this noise? Any help advice/information would be
appreciated........... Are there any websites that sell copies
of service manuals on these
old critters out there?
Thanks in advance
Foggie

Replacing all the caps would be a large undertaking, and there's other
things that can cause hiss. A bad transistor, for example, or a bad
resistor. Any of these, including a signal stage capacitor, would cause hiss
only on one channel. Otherwise maybe a regulated power supply problem,
though this would generally be manifested as a "hum" problem.

So, is the hiss only on one channel?

Mark Z.