Posted to rec.audio.car

Default Question about amp current draw

I am looking at an amp that gives the following specs.
Current consumption .. 31.0 A (at continuous power, 4 O)
Average current drawn* . 4.4 A (4 O for one channel) 7.3 A (2 O for
one channel)

*Average current drawn
· The average current drawn is nearly the maximum current drawn by
this unit when an audio signal is input. Use this value when working
out total current drawn by multiple power amplifiers.

What is this telling me?
The amp is a Pioneer GM-D510M Class D rated at 300x1 @ 4ohm and 500x1
at 2ohms. (2x25A fuses)

I want to add this amp to a system with 2 amps already (this would make
the 3rd, other 2 are 50x2 class AB and 35x2 class AB) and want to find
out the alternator draw that the new amp would generate.

I have an 03 Silverado with the stock Alt and want to see if I am close
to needing a new Alt/rewire. I'm not interested in a CAP.

Do I use the 31.0 A figure?
Or the average current drawn like they indicated.
Any difference if running 2ohm?
What is the difference between consumption and current drawn? I
assumed I would want the drawn as that would be the load.

Thanks in advance, I was never a electrical wizzard.

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40

that 31 amp figure is at 4 ohms, so if you're using the amp at 4 ohms
use that number. if you're running it at 2 ohms i'd use the 50 amp
fuse number.

either way, running in conjuction with the other two amps you have
(which are actually pretty small) I don't see how you are going to have
a problem. those two are probably only drawing 20 amps combined, and
even with 50 extra from the new amp you're only at 70. I am drawing
about twice that on my 105 amp alternator and it's fine until the last
two notches on my HU volume (slight voltage drop then), and i'm sure
your truck has a larger alt than my car.

--
KU40