neamb2

Default Center Channel Question

I recently bought a new TV which has an option to use the TV speakers
as a center channel speaker. The TV takes an RCA plug for the center
speaker, but my receiver center channel out is spring-loaded for the 2
wire ends. Is there a special cable or workaround I could use to
carry the signal from the receiver to the TV?

Thanks in advance.

RD
Brandon Anderson

Um, you're missing the most important question. You can easily solder on a
phono plug onto speaker wire, but the question is if the input on the TV is
line level or speaker level, and if speaker level, how many watts can it
handle and what is it's impedance? Only use the TV as a speaker if you
can't afford a matched speaker for center and it can handle the signal. My
feeling is that the TV wants to be an active speaker, for which you would
need a line level signal for it. If the impedance of the TV speaker is =
the minimum impedance of the receiver and the power handling is = than the
output of the amp for the center channel, and the input is meant for speaker
level, then simply solder on a phono plug with red for tip and black for
ring. Good luck.

--

____________________________________

Brandon Anderson
Lighting, Sound, and Video

http://www.bdanderson.com/

"neamb2" wrote in message
om...
I recently bought a new TV which has an option to use the TV speakers
as a center channel speaker. The TV takes an RCA plug for the center
speaker, but my receiver center channel out is spring-loaded for the 2
wire ends. Is there a special cable or workaround I could use to
carry the signal from the receiver to the TV?

Thanks in advance.

RD

Barry Mann

In , on 12/17/03
at 09:38 PM, (neamb2) said:

I recently bought a new TV which has an option to use the TV speakers
as a center channel speaker. The TV takes an RCA plug for the center
speaker, but my receiver center channel out is spring-loaded for the 2
wire ends. Is there a special cable or workaround I could use to
carry the signal from the receiver to the TV?

Consider:

First: All three front speakers should have a similar sound. Otherwise,
a speaking actor walking across the visual field will experience a
change of voice as they transition from speaker to speaker.

Second: The output from your receiver is expected to go to a
loudspeaker.

Third: The input to your TV is probably not expecting the rather large
loudspeaker signal that you will be cramming down its throat. Check
your TV's owner manual for this point. It is possible, but unlikely,
that the TV is actually equipped to handle speaker level signals.

Fourth: Check your receiver manual, because you might have an RCA jack
center channel output that will provide a more appropriate signal to
your TV's center channel input.

Fifth: Be careful to match polarities if you use the speaker outputs.
Otherwise you'll damage the receiver.

---

I don't like them and they are a bit messy, but "Z-couplers" are
available to make the speaker level to line level transition easier and
safer. Many audio stores carry them, but you'll probably have an easier
time finding one in a car audio store.

Overall, I don't like this technique, but it can work if properly done.
As a practical matter you'll find that someone will be having a
constant battle with the TV's volume control. Either you, your family,
or gests will accidently change the TV's volume control and you'll have
to reset the center channel level again and again.

spam:

wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

neamb2

Thanks Barry (and Brandon and Gary) for your advice. I'll forget
about the TV speakers and stay with a regular center channel speaker.
My receiver doesn't have the right center speaker output for this
setup, and the TV does not accept the speaker level output that the
receiver does deliver.

Rick

(Barry Mann) wrote in message . com...
In , on 12/17/03