Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Default Alan Blumlein on radio tonight

BBC Radio4's Archive Hour tonight at 8pm (UK) is all about Alan
Blumlein, and apparently has a load of his original recordings. Here's a
sample of a stereo test he did in the 1930s - I just grabbed it off the
trailer. There would have been more but Audition is really slow to fire
up when you want it in a hurry.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/blumlein.mp3

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Don Pearce wrote:

BBC Radio4's Archive Hour tonight at 8pm (UK) is all about Alan
Blumlein, and apparently has a load of his original recordings.
Here's a sample of a stereo test he did in the 1930s - I just grabbed
it off the trailer. There would have been more but Audition is really
slow to fire up when you want it in a hurry.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/blumlein.mp3

Phase diagram is real funny to look at ...

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Peter Larsen wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:

BBC Radio4's Archive Hour tonight at 8pm (UK) is all about Alan
Blumlein, and apparently has a load of his original recordings.
Here's a sample of a stereo test he did in the 1930s - I just grabbed
it off the trailer. There would have been more but Audition is really
slow to fire up when you want it in a hurry.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/blumlein.mp3

Phase diagram is real funny to look at ...

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

I suspect the mics' polar patterns weren't of the finest.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

I suspect the mics' polar patterns weren't of the finest.

"Polar patterns"? They were probably omnis. (And, yes, I know that omnis
don't necessarily have the same on- and off-axis responses.)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I suspect the mics' polar patterns weren't of the finest.

"Polar patterns"? They were probably omnis. (And, yes, I know that omnis
don't necessarily have the same on- and off-axis responses.)

Omnis? This is THE Mr. Blumlein we are talking about here, you know.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:
I suspect the mics' polar patterns weren't of the finest.

"Polar patterns"? They were probably omnis. (And, yes, I know that omnis
don't necessarily have the same on- and off-axis responses.)

Omnis? This is THE Mr. Blumlein we are talking about here, you know.

Yes, but in addition to devising the Blumlein technique of stereo recording
(figure-8 mics, vertically coincident, angled at 90 degrees), he also
investigated recording with spaced omnis.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:
I suspect the mics' polar patterns weren't of the finest.

"Polar patterns"? They were probably omnis. (And, yes, I know that omnis
don't necessarily have the same on- and off-axis responses.)

Omnis? This is THE Mr. Blumlein we are talking about here, you know.

Forgive me. The brain must be in another country. As someone who made many,
many Blumlein recordings, I don't know how I could have made such a mistake.

I think what I was thinking of was the shuffler.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I suspect the mics' polar patterns weren't of the finest.

"Polar patterns"? They were probably omnis. (And, yes, I know that
omnis don't necessarily have the same on- and off-axis responses.)

Omnis? This is THE Mr. Blumlein we are talking about here, you know.

Forgive me. The brain must be in another country. As someone who made
many, many Blumlein recordings, I don't know how I could have made
such a mistake.

I think what I was thinking of was the shuffler.

My thought too OR a simple one channel polarity reversal, but I didn't
investigate and eventually I missed it online because of a my new, second
hand, surround receiver. I plain forgot about it. 6 hours vanished in
getting the thing set up just as stereo preamp, including enjoying that its
auto eq function got the loudspeaker bass and low midrange eq just right. I
wish they'd use better qualified staff to translate the manuals ...

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

BBC Radio4's Archive Hour tonight at 8pm (UK) is all about Alan
Blumlein

And for a sec I thought he must have come back from the dead !

Bad luck with that H2S testing and low cloud for sure. You might have
thought they'd use the H2S to avoid the hills.

Graham

Alan Blumlein on radio tonight Don Pearce Pro Audio 29 November 1st 08 02:19 AM
Blumlein book Airbus Pro Audio 14 November 28th 07 05:10 PM
blumlein on vocals? xy Pro Audio 0 May 26th 04 12:59 AM
blumlein on vocals? xy Pro Audio 0 May 26th 04 12:59 AM
Blumlein Greg Berchin Pro Audio 5 October 19th 03 10:44 PM