Posted to rec.audio.car
CarlP

Default Why Can't clean Cadillac CD player?

My '95 Cad CD player is acting up. Won't play, ejects disc, when I
start the car. After waiting for quite a while, it then often will
play, almost like it was waiting for the player/radio to warm up. The
CD's play at home ok. I thought about cleaning the player, but after
buying a quality unit, it says on it not to use it on Cadillac players.

Any idea why, and/or what might be wrong with the player and how to fix
it?

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin

CD cleaners are a scam at best... the only safe & effective way to clean
an optical pick-up is with clean cotton swab and appropriate non-residue
solvent that won't etch the lens material. Very gentle cleaning this way
is FAR preferable to putting a cleaner in and having it spin around and
whack the lens repeatedly. They're not made for contact sports.

I'd guess the people that make the kit you bought have some additional
issues related to their device getting jammed in Cadillac players that
prompted the warning... or maybe the Cadillac optical block is more
fragile, don't know but those cleaners blow anyway.

From your symptoms sounds like maybe the optical block is failing, or
possibly the spindle motor is dragging when it's cold, laser sled is
gummed up and doesn't move easily when cold, chip problems, etc. Nothing
you're likely to fix with a DIY cleaning kit. Time for professional
service...

JD

CarlP wrote:
My '95 Cad CD player is acting up. Won't play, ejects disc, when I
start the car. After waiting for quite a while, it then often will
play, almost like it was waiting for the player/radio to warm up. The
CD's play at home ok. I thought about cleaning the player, but after
buying a quality unit, it says on it not to use it on Cadillac players.

Any idea why, and/or what might be wrong with the player and how to fix
it?

Posted to rec.audio.car
CarlP

JD, Assuming I can get easy access to the optical pickup to clean and
that doesn't fix it, with all those possibilities, I have no idea what
the cost potential could reach for repair. Would it make more sense
to just put a new unit in the dash?

Thanks for the quick excellent reply. Carl

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin

Repair of the stock unit a lot cheaper than replacing it with another
stock unit... you can put a cheaper aftermarket deck in but don't expect
the build quality or AM/FM tuner to be as good as the OEM.

JD

CarlP wrote:
JD, Assuming I can get easy access to the optical pickup to clean and
that doesn't fix it, with all those possibilities, I have no idea what
the cost potential could reach for repair. Would it make more sense
to just put a new unit in the dash?

Thanks for the quick excellent reply. Carl

Posted to rec.audio.car

CarlP wrote:
JD, Assuming I can get easy access to the optical pickup to clean and
that doesn't fix it, with all those possibilities, I have no idea what
the cost potential could reach for repair. Would it make more sense
to just put a new unit in the dash?

Thanks for the quick excellent reply. Carl

I used to have a link to a place online that repaired OEM cd units for
a fair price. I couldn't find it though.

QSC amps are junk! Robert Morein Audio Opinions 64 October 29th 05 07:35 PM
sony portable cd/mp3 player resume and shuffle features snafu Audio Opinions 0 December 2nd 04 06:00 PM
Do I need a new player neilmartin High End Audio 2 September 17th 04 12:08 AM
Clean Power? Dylan X Car Audio 99 January 7th 04 04:02 PM
Looking for a portable CD player with a real resume feature Bice General 0 July 27th 03 04:19 PM