Wayne

Default Setting Crossovers

I've got an Eclipse 5303 and a DEI 4x50 watt amp, powering MB Quart 5 1/4's
in the front doors and Kicker 6x8's in the rear for fill and a JL Audio 8
inch mini sub with a no name 200 watt amp. The bass seems boomy, like a kick
drum should pop! but it just kind of booms. I turned off the sub amp and it
still happens. I have the high pass crossovers on the amp set to about 200Hz
now. Will tuning them up higher help?

Cyrus

In article , "Wayne"
wrote:

I've got an Eclipse 5303 and a DEI 4x50 watt amp, powering MB Quart 5 1/4's
in the front doors and Kicker 6x8's in the rear for fill and a JL Audio 8
inch mini sub with a no name 200 watt amp. The bass seems boomy, like a kick
drum should pop! but it just kind of booms. I turned off the sub amp and it
still happens. I have the high pass crossovers on the amp set to about 200Hz
now. Will tuning them up higher help?

Sounds like a midbass issue. How are the MB Quart's installed?

Try lowering the HP xo to the fronts, be mindful that you're lowering
their power handling as well.

IME 5.25" drivers just don't reproduce enough midbass for myself in a
car, especially when acting like my ankles have ears. Unless that is if
one was to install them properly in either a sealed or bass reflex
enclosure.

hth,

--
Cyrus