Percy Bear 12C / AKG C12

Old March 12th 19, 10:07 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

Default Percy Bear 12C / AKG C12

Looking for interesting info on this mic, Percy Bear 12C.

Seems to have the brass AKG C12 capsule, which needs re-skinning.

I understand the electronics are half of an AKG C24 but not quite.

Cheers,

Gareth.
Old March 13th 19, 01:55 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Gareth Magennis > wrote:
>Looking for interesting info on this mic, Percy Bear 12C.
>
>Seems to have the brass AKG C12 capsule, which needs re-skinning.
>
>I understand the electronics are half of an AKG C24 but not quite.

I gather that Mr. Bear worked for AKG and somehow wound up with a bunch of
C24s, which he split apart to make C12-like microphones at a price point
somewhat lower than the C12. They are mechanically pretty
close to a C12, they have a C12 capsule, and they use the C24 self-bias
circuit... as you would expect from something built from scrapped C24 parts.

I don't think many were made, and I have never used one and can't say how
it sounds.
Old March 14th 19, 08:26 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Gareth Magennis > wrote:

>I gathered Mr Bear pretty much just lopped off the top of a C24 and half the
>circuit board.
>Must have made his own PSU.

Most of the mechanical stuff seemed to be his too.

>There is (was) a site in the UK that offered a service to convert the half a
>C24 PCB into the original C12 circuit, so it seems there is a slight
>difference.

Yes, the biasing arrangement is different. I'm not going to claim one is
better than the other, they are just different. I wouldn't see any reason
to change unless you dislike the sound.