Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] benn686@hotmail.com is offline

Default USB Headphones hack - Soldering a 3.5mm plug instead of the headphones

I have a cell phone with a mini-usb plug on it.. the camera also came
with a set of earphones that plug into this usb connector, however, I
would like to go from this mini-usb to a 3.5 mm plug instead of the
headphones (my car has an aux plug input). The earphone/usb cable has
a little 3/4" case that has a microphone and Im guessing a amplifier.

So..

I opened the the little case, and sure enough where there are 3 wires
"L", "R", and ground that are going to the earbuds. The ground and
"R" wires were both going to the right earbud. So I desoldered these 3
wires from the board, and soldered the 2 wires coming from the 3.5 mm
plug.

The problem is, Im getting tons of noise, and at VERY low volume. Im
guessing this is because the ground on the plug isnt connected to the
ground of the amplifier/microphone board. However, the 3.5 mm plug
doesnt have a 3rd (ground) conductor to connect.. it only has a white
and red wire, nothing else.

If my post above, wasnt confusing enough, here's a totally blurry
picture that I took with the cell. Its hard to see anything on it,
but the red and white wires on the right are going to the plug.

http://i6.tinypic.com/5xe5fth.jpg

Im probably missing something obvious, but what am I doing wrong? How
can I connect a plug to where the headphones used to go?