Default Changing Fuse in Mackie Hard Disk Recorder

The manual says not to open up system to change fuse. There is no info
in Manual. Has anybody changed fuse in Mackie Hard disk Recorder. And
is it a standard fuse and if so what size. Is it easy to get to?
Thanks
Jay

Jay

I forgot to say this is the Mackie SDR 24/96

Scott Dorsey

In article .com,
Jay wrote:
I forgot to say this is the Mackie SDR 24/96

For the most part, fuses don't blow without a reason. But if you get
the full service manual, it will show you what's inside the power supply.
Lars Farm

Jay wrote:

I forgot to say this is the Mackie SDR 24/96

I haven't changed fuse in mine but I had it open once and in order to be
able to get it back in one piece again I took some pictures. There are
about two zillion screws. Once out you can take the cover off and see
see this...

http://www.farm.se/bild/sdr1.png

--
lars farm // http://www.farm.se
lars is also a mail-account on the server farm.se
Agent 86

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:46:25 +0100, Pooh Bear wrote:

My latest stuff tends to have internal
fuses. It helps stop ppl putting the wrong value in and then *really*
cooking their amplifier or whatever.

Graham, I know you Brits have different meanings than us yanks for various
words, but I've never heard "whatever" used before when the meaning was
actually "their ****ing house".

The capacity of Englishfolk for ironic understatement never ceases to
amaze me.

Jay

I have to apologize after it was brought to my attention that there is
only one remote jack on the SDR. The warning not to plug into the
internet jack is on the remote control. So I do not remember now if I
plugged the remote unit into some other gear accidently that was an
internet jack and then plugged the remote unit into the SDR.

So the bottom line is, my Mackie SDR will not turn on (embarrassed)
Jay

Pooh Bear

Agent 86 wrote:

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:46:25 +0100, Pooh Bear wrote:

My latest stuff tends to have internal
fuses. It helps stop ppl putting the wrong value in and then *really*
cooking their amplifier or whatever.

Graham, I know you Brits have different meanings than us yanks for various
words, but I've never heard "whatever" used before when the meaning was
actually "their ****ing house".

The capacity of Englishfolk for ironic understatement never ceases to
amaze me.

Ahhh - that's probably because we don't get many house fires here ( let alone
caused by electronics ).

I understand that US homes are more flammable ( lots of wood etc and slightly
dodgy electrics ).

Graham

Gareth Magennis

2) You'd have to pull out the power supply, then remove its' separate
sheet metal cover get to get to whatever mains fuse it may have. FWIW
9 out of 10 times here, if a switch-mode PC power supply has "blown its'
fuse", there's a hard reason that needs to be repaired before stuffing
another fuse in (shorted secondary rectifier diode, shorted input bridge,
shorted switch mode device, etc.)

Most times when I have changed the blown fuse on a switch mode power supply,
connecting to the mains and switching on again has resulted in a very loud
bang and bits of components hitting the ceiling.

Spectacular.

Gareth.

John O

Most times when I have changed the blown fuse on a switch mode power
supply,
connecting to the mains and switching on again has resulted in a very loud
bang and bits of components hitting the ceiling.

Spectacular.

Check the fuse first...if the glass is coated with shiny stuff (that's a
technical term), there probably is or was a sudden short circuit somewhere.
If you can see the remnants of the fuse wire through mnostly clear glass,
then it just failed on its own or the problem isn't as serious. YMMV, and
ohmmeters are quite useful, especially for checking rectifier diodes.

-John O

hank alrich

Pooh Bear wrote:

Agent 86 wrote:

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:46:25 +0100, Pooh Bear wrote:

My latest stuff tends to have internal
fuses. It helps stop ppl putting the wrong value in and then *really*
cooking their amplifier or whatever.

Graham, I know you Brits have different meanings than us yanks for various
words, but I've never heard "whatever" used before when the meaning was
actually "their ****ing house".

The capacity of Englishfolk for ironic understatement never ceases to
amaze me.

Ahhh - that's probably because we don't get many house fires here ( let alone
caused by electronics ).

It's the humidity, and maybe the food, too. g

I understand that US homes are more flammable ( lots of wood etc and slightly
dodgy electrics ).

Our mobile homes are made out of kindling. Saves time.

--
ha
Geoff Wood

wrote in message
oups.com...
The manual says not to open up system to change fuse. There is no info
in Manual. Has anybody changed fuse in Mackie Hard disk Recorder. And
is it a standard fuse and if so what size. Is it easy to get to?
Thanks
Jay

Dunno about 'changing' a fuse. But 'replacing' it is straightforward.
However there is probably a reason why it blew. Mackie's advice is to
disuade people who don't know what they are doing from causing further
damage to the equipment or themselves.

Fuses can fracture, or blow with a mains transient, so there is no
compelling reason not to open and replace the fuse with the SPECIFIED RATING
AND TYPE . If it blows, then the device definitely needs qualified
servicing.

But if you need to ask, then maybe it's better to get help...

geoff

Geoff Wood

"hank alrich" wrote in message

Ahhh - that's probably because we don't get many house fires here ( let
alone
caused by electronics ).

It's the humidity, and maybe the food, too. g

I understand that US homes are more flammable ( lots of wood etc and
slightly
dodgy electrics ).

Our mobile homes are made out of kindling. Saves time.

Half the voltage and twice the current makes things a bit more marginal too.

geoff

Geoff@work

"Agent 86" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:46:25 +0100, Pooh Bear wrote:

My latest stuff tends to have internal
fuses. It helps stop ppl putting the wrong value in and then *really*
cooking their amplifier or whatever.

Graham, I know you Brits have different meanings than us yanks for various
words, but I've never heard "whatever" used before when the meaning was
actually "their ****ing house".

The capacity of Englishfolk for ironic understatement never ceases to
amaze me.

That is because a certain amount of common-sense is generally (but not
universally) attributed to those who understand the mother dialect. Firemen
need work too.

geoff