Indiglow

Default Alpine deck blew my subs!

Okay so I was having problems with my Alpine CDA 7878 deck over two
weeks ago. On that day it was playing just fine at a low volume level
and then all of sudden some funny gobbledy goo sounds came out of the
speakers, followed by the message "ERROR" and the CD player not working
and not ejecting. The deck's radio still worked and I notice I was
getting NO BASS.. hmm strange I thought. So I take it in to the shop
that installed it, he says the deck is busted and that the reason I have
no bass is because the subs are blown or something is wrong with them.
I was like wtf how could I have blown them, I wasn't playing them loud
AT ALL, I wasn't really even listening to music when the whole thing
happened. He says the deck probably was sending out bad signals when it
malfunctioned and sent a clipped signal, thus blowing the subs. He says
sorry and then tells me I need to take to the deck to a service center
to get it serviced since he isn't an Alpine dealer, I bought the deck,
new, off of ebay. I was now thinking oh great I have to buy new subs
and pay for repairs since I didn't buy the deck from a dealer.
I take the deck to an authorized dealer he looks at it and fiddles
with it and says it needs to go out for servicing, I ask him how much it
will cost me to fix he said around 100 bucks or so. I was like thats
not too bad, but still I think a warranty should cover it. I tell the
guy at the dealer, about what the other stereo shop told me about he
subwoofer problem and how the deck probably messed them up and he seemed
pretty firmly convinced against the idea, so I got hopeful, thinking
maybe its just something with the preouts or bass engine etc in the
deck. The guy at the Alpine dealer pulls the deck out and tells me it
should take 2 weeks tops. 2 weeks rolls around and no deck after a few
phone calls every couple days I finally am told they have a deck for me,
3 weeks later. They said they were waiting on parts to fix my deck and
to speed things up they just had Alpine send up a new (refurbished) one
up. I go in to get my deck, the dealer puts it in and I ask how much I
owe and they tell me it's covered under warranty. So I was happy Alpine
warranteed it and that the dealer expedited the deck repair/replacement,
but I STILL HAVE NO BASS. The subs are not working.
So here is the thing I KNOW for a fact my subs were working perfectly
fine before the deck faulted, but then after the whole thing they did
not work. I want to know if I should press Alpine or the Alpine dealer
to replace/reimburse me for the subs because the deck is the only cause
for the subwoofers demise. What should I do? Go into the dealer and
press this issue? or Raise hell with Alpine over the phone? or am I
screwed and have to take the loss and replace the subs???

Thank you for any comments.

Tom
--
Indiglow
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=153591

Mark Zarella

Okay so I was having problems with my Alpine CDA 7878 deck over two
weeks ago. On that day it was playing just fine at a low volume level
and then all of sudden some funny gobbledy goo sounds came out of the
speakers, followed by the message "ERROR" and the CD player not working
and not ejecting. The deck's radio still worked and I notice I was
getting NO BASS.. hmm strange I thought. So I take it in to the shop
that installed it, he says the deck is busted and that the reason I have
no bass is because the subs are blown or something is wrong with them.

How do you know the subs are blown? Usually when you blow a woofer, it
still plays - albeit not well.

I was like wtf how could I have blown them, I wasn't playing them loud
AT ALL, I wasn't really even listening to music when the whole thing
happened. He says the deck probably was sending out bad signals when it
malfunctioned and sent a clipped signal, thus blowing the subs.

I call bull**** on his part. Though it's possible, either the subs were
junk or the amps were friggin huge. One of those MUST be true in order for
the deck to cause the subs to blow.

[...]

Take the subwoofer box, bring it into the house, and hook it up to your
radio (don't crank it - your home stereo may not like it at high volumes).
$10 says the subs work.

Sanitarium

I agree with Mark.

Make sure your subs are wired for an impedence load the head unit can
handle.
When you wire up a 2 ohm speaker load to an amp bridged mono, the amp
"sees" a 1 ohm load. Furthermore, a 4 ohm speaker load to an amp
bridged mono, the amp will really "see" 2 ohms. If this is the scenario
make sure the amp can handle lower impedence loads.

Garrett

Mark Zarella wrote:

[...]

Gary Rodgers

"Sanitarium" wrote in message
| I agree with Mark.
|
| Make sure your subs are wired for an impedence load the head unit can
| handle.
| When you wire up a 2 ohm speaker load to an amp bridged mono, the amp
| "sees" a 1 ohm load. Furthermore, a 4 ohm speaker load to an amp
| bridged mono, the amp will really "see" 2 ohms. If this is the scenario
| make sure the amp can handle lower impedence loads.
|
| Garrett

snip

Can you 'splain this to me? A load is a load. If'n yer puttin' 2 ohm load
(2 -4's wired in parallel), the amp sees 2 ohms. If yer puttin a single
4-ohm speaker (sub), the amp "sees" 4 ohms...because that's what the load
is.

Or am I missing something?

Daniel Snooks

Gary Rodgers wrote
"Sanitarium" wrote in message
| I agree with Mark.
|
| Make sure your subs are wired for an impedence load the head unit can
| handle.

If the subs are running off of an external amp, what difference will the way
they are wired to the amp make as far as the head unit is concerned?

| When you wire up a 2 ohm speaker load to an amp bridged mono, the amp
| "sees" a 1 ohm load.

No it doesn't.

| Furthermore, a 4 ohm speaker load to an amp
| bridged mono, the amp will really "see" 2 ohms.

No it won't.

| If this is the scenario
| make sure the amp can handle lower impedence loads.
|
| Garrett

snip

Can you 'splain this to me? A load is a load. If'n yer puttin' 2 ohm

load
(2 -4's wired in parallel), the amp sees 2 ohms. If yer puttin a single
4-ohm speaker (sub), the amp "sees" 4 ohms...because that's what the load
is.

Or am I missing something?

You aren't missing something ... Sanatarium is. He misunderstands the theory
behind bridging an amp.

For a given amp the following is true :
Amp "A" is rated for 50W x 2 @ 4ohms, 100W x 2 @ 2ohms (minimum impedance)
when you bridge the amp, 195W x 1 @ 4ohm (minimum impedance)

notice that when you bridge the amp the minimum impedance is higher. Bottom
line is, if you wired a pair of 4ohm speakers in parallel and then run the
amp bridge you will have a 2ohm load which the amp is not rated to handle.
In this example, you have 3 obvious options :

1) speakers in parallel running off 1 side of the amp (amp not bridged)
results in 100W @ 2ohms giving each speaker 50W
2) speakers in stereo on their own channels (amp is in stereo) results in
50W x 2 @ 4ohms giving each speaker 50W
3) speakers in series amp bridged results in ~100W @ 8ohms giving each
speaker 50W

This is why some degree of planning is important when choosing an amp for
the subs, or subs for an amp. Some would argue that running subs in stereo
is a bad idea ... I don't have an opinion on it. It is mostly for
illustration, but is very applicable for speaker systems that aren't subs.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Sanitarium

Hi guys... OK please correct me if I am wrong... but I thought the
output of the MOSFET transistors invert when the amp is bridged and this
inversion creates the lower impedence load, when the amp is bridged.
Hence, the output transistors are forced to pass double the current when
bridged?

???
thanks,
Garrett

Daniel Snooks wrote:

Gary Rodgers wrote
"Sanitarium" wrote in message
| I agree with Mark.
|
| Make sure your subs are wired for an impedence load the head unit can
| handle.

If the subs are running off of an external amp, what difference will the way
they are wired to the amp make as far as the head unit is concerned?

| When you wire up a 2 ohm speaker load to an amp bridged mono, the amp
| "sees" a 1 ohm load.

No it doesn't.

| Furthermore, a 4 ohm speaker load to an amp
| bridged mono, the amp will really "see" 2 ohms.

No it won't.

| If this is the scenario
| make sure the amp can handle lower impedence loads.
|
| Garrett

snip

Can you 'splain this to me? A load is a load. If'n yer puttin' 2 ohm

load
(2 -4's wired in parallel), the amp sees 2 ohms. If yer puttin a single
4-ohm speaker (sub), the amp "sees" 4 ohms...because that's what the load
is.

Or am I missing something?

You aren't missing something ... Sanatarium is. He misunderstands the theory
behind bridging an amp.

For a given amp the following is true :
Amp "A" is rated for 50W x 2 @ 4ohms, 100W x 2 @ 2ohms (minimum impedance)
when you bridge the amp, 195W x 1 @ 4ohm (minimum impedance)

notice that when you bridge the amp the minimum impedance is higher. Bottom
line is, if you wired a pair of 4ohm speakers in parallel and then run the
amp bridge you will have a 2ohm load which the amp is not rated to handle.
In this example, you have 3 obvious options :

1) speakers in parallel running off 1 side of the amp (amp not bridged)
results in 100W @ 2ohms giving each speaker 50W
2) speakers in stereo on their own channels (amp is in stereo) results in
50W x 2 @ 4ohms giving each speaker 50W
3) speakers in series amp bridged results in ~100W @ 8ohms giving each
speaker 50W

This is why some degree of planning is important when choosing an amp for
the subs, or subs for an amp. Some would argue that running subs in stereo
is a bad idea ... I don't have an opinion on it. It is mostly for
illustration, but is very applicable for speaker systems that aren't subs.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Mark Zarella

Hi guys... OK please correct me if I am wrong... but I thought the
output of the MOSFET transistors invert when the amp is bridged

No. The inversion is in the preamp section.

and this
inversion creates the lower impedence load,

There's nothing the amp can do to "create" the speaker's impedance - aside
from melting the voice coil. The speaker has an impedance, period.

when the amp is bridged.
Hence, the output transistors are forced to pass double the current when
bridged?

They "double" the current (actually, not quite a doubling), but not because
the speaker's impedance is magically halved. Rather, it's because the
voltage is doubled.