Handywired

Default What I might buy...

I've got a hankerin' to spend some money on the studio and I have nice big
project starting in a month or so... a repeat customer signed to Metal Blade
who should get (me) a big enough advance on the recording that I could buy a
new choice piece of gear, maybe, to use on said project. Question is, what?
Let me describe my studio in general and maybe some of you will have ideas that
I can research etc...

I have been running a mid-level analog studio for 10 years or so. It's based
on a 1-inch 16-track deck, an MS-16, and a Neotek Series IIIf. I hae an Otoari
1/4" 2-track and of course DAT's and CD burners, etc. Anyway, I have some
decent gear but I have kept my focus and tried not to spend money frivolously
on what is franky a very hard industry to make a good living in. I have some
nice mics: Neumann TLM 193; 2 KM184's; a M147. Soundelux U95 and Groove
Tubes Md1a. 2 RCA 77DX's; 2 AKG 460b's and some other good stuff. I have
Summit and Pultec tube EQ's, EL8 and Aphex compressors... for mic preamps I
have Sytek and 2 VMP2's and the Neotek and a unit I built around the burr-Brown
INA103 chip... I recently added Pro Tools LE on a mac G4 and have it expanded
out to max I/O and with everything integrated into my patch bays... i routinely
sync my MS16 to Pro Tools with SMPTE timecode. I charge $40/hr in a very
competitive local market and manage to keep the wheels on the cart, doing
mostly music recording of bands and solo acts.

Anyway, I say all of that to give some feel for who I am and what I do. If I
do spend some more $$ on gear, I want it to really be useful. I'm not doing
this on a Visa card or spending dad's money. I have no delusions of huge
financial success running a recording studio. Or that some piece of gear is
gonna cure my cold. So, i want something that retains it's value and will get
used a lot.

I am leaning towards mic's and mic preamps, since the front end is where I like
to spend the most money and time. My Sytek is decent but a truly clean preamp
might be cool. I'd be looking at Millenia and Great River; any others I should
consider? As far as mics, I love ribbons so one of the newer ribbon mics is
intrigueing. A client brought in a BLUE mis that was very nice; bright, crisp,
and not harsh at all. Or...? Think character. I love character.

Another option is something like a Rosetta, though that is boring. At $2600
for the 24/96 version, also very expensive and won't hold it's value real well.
It would fall into the utility tool category. On the other hand, I will be
doing a lot of digital conversions around here...

Another boring but useful addition would be a control surface for my LE system.
Yawn, and talk about not holding it's value. Also would get used a lot.
Yuck.

So.... any ideas out there? The project will bring in about $4K and of that I
could see spending $2k on whatever it is I decide to get...

Thanks!!!

-jeff
Predrag Trpkov

"Handywired" wrote in message
[...]

What about monitors and control or studio room acoustics? That is likely to
hold its value quite well. Depending on what you already have in that
department, the change might be more audible and it might influence the
quality of your product more than any piece of equipment. The stuff you
listed above is already quite decent.

Predrag

Matt Macchiarolo

"Handywired" wrote in message
I've got a hankerin' to spend some money

How about a Land Cruiser? (Saw your post in ramj+w...)

;-)

hank alrich

Handywired wrote:

Anyway, I say all of that to give some feel for who I am and what I do.
If I do spend some more $$ on gear, I want it to really be useful. I'm
not doing this on a Visa card or spending dad's money. I have no
delusions of huge financial success running a recording studio. Or that
some piece of gear is gonna cure my cold. So, i want something that
retains it's value and will get used a lot.

First send your AKG C460's to Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades for his
mod. When you get them back you probably won't believe what fine mics
they've become. This will consume a tiny portion of your upgrade budget
and get you a pair of SDC's of an entirely different class than the
stock C460's.

Preamps are always fun, and Great River and Millennia are fine choices.
The GR NV series, with the EQ, is extremely versatile, with class and
balls to spare.

--
ha
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I have been running a mid-level analog studio for 10 years or so. It's based
on a 1-inch 16-track deck, an MS-16, and a Neotek Series IIIf. I hae an Otoari
1/4" 2-track and of course DAT's and CD burners, etc. Anyway, I have some
decent gear but I have kept my focus and tried not to spend money frivolously

It sounds like you have a nicely balanced selection of gear. A new mic
preamp or three never hurts when it comes to variety of the subtle
sort. Since you're looking for color, you might want to consider
either the NV Great River series rather than the clean one, or look at
some less expensive alternatives like the FMR Audio RNMP or the Studio
Projects VTB-1.

I think that a good A/D and D/A converter for your ProTools system
would also be a good investment. You don't want color there, and there
are lots of things better than what Digidesign throws into the cheap
box. Mytek often has very good deals on last year's models or
trade-ins, so you might check there. They're every bit as good as
Apogee (in some ways better) and you could stand some improvement in
that area.

You didn't say anything about your boring infrastructure, but could
you improve your life with some acoustic treatment? If you're still
working in a 10 year old room, you could probably stand a makeover
that isn't too bloody. While acoustic consultants won't be out of a
job soon, there's a better understanding today of DIY solutions that
are practical and (depending on what you're starting with) often can
make really significant improvements.

Buy more SM57s, or treat yourself to a Beyer M201.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

EganMedia

I'd sit on the cash and wait until something broke or a new piee of gear would
allow me to get a gig I would otherwise miss out on. Unless there is an
obviously weak link in your studio chain, save the money until you *have* to
buy something.
Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

Handywired wrote:
[...]

I think preamps and better AD are the way to go. You won't be bored by
the Rosetta when you hear it. I remember when I got mine & it reminded
me of going from my Tascam 80-8 to My Ampex 2". Quite a jump in
quality. You don't have to get 8 channels. I (ahem) am selling my 2-ch
Rosetta AD 24/96, which I've put to good use on drum OH, LVox, Acoustic
guitars, etc. I will email you off-list with details. The ribbon mic
idea is a good one, too. I think the idea of modding the 460s is a good
one as well. Think outside the box, too. What about comfort and
appearance of your studio? That can make a big difference in the long
run? (Let's not talk about how my place looks right now, OK?)
Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku

Paul Stamler

"Handywired" wrote in message

I am leaning towards mic's and mic preamps, since the front end is where I

like
to spend the most money and time. My Sytek is decent but a truly clean

preamp
might be cool. I'd be looking at Millenia and Great River; any others I

should
consider? As far as mics, I love ribbons so one of the newer ribbon mics

is
intrigueing. A client brought in a BLUE mis that was very nice; bright,

crisp,
and not harsh at all. Or...? Think character. I love character.

Well, the Millennia and Great River preamps aren't character preamps, but I
bet you'd use either one a lot. Alternatively, you want something with a lot
of character, get a Universal Audio 1176 compressor. You'd use that a lot
too.

Peace,
Paul

Paul Stamler

Duh. When I said the Great River was not a character preamp, my brain wasn't
thinking of the NV model. Gotta drink some coffee.

Peace,
Paul

Jay Kadis

"Paul Stamler" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, if you want character the 1176 is the ticket.

-Jay
david

I see 3 things you could use (but not for 2K : )

A real nice vocal compressor (Urei LA3).

A real nice mic pre (A GML. Or if you want a pre with an eq, then a
Rupert Neve/Amek Channel In A Box, which go for less than $2k on ebay.
Or for cheaper $, a Rupert/Amek 9098 eq.)

Since you are mixing with a console, a Waves L2. Your final A to D is
*damn* important, and you will def like the built in limiter as well.
Plus you can also use it to A to D anything going into Protools. It
will do a better job any Digidesign converter, including the 192K
Interface.

I would not want to do my everyday work without these guys.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com

In article , Handywired
wrote:

[...]

Bob Smith

"Handywired" wrote:
I've got a hankerin' to spend some money on the studio and I have nice

big

Let me describe my studio in general and maybe some of you will have ideas

that

might be cool. I'd be looking at Millenia and Great River; any others I

should

Another option is something like a Rosetta, though that is boring. At

$2600

First, Joe Egan has a really really good suggestion. Sit on the money until
something breaks or a must have item crops up. That is a pretty good
business decision. But for the gear sluts in all of us I'm going to list
items that get used every day in my studio / acoustic lab.

Great River MP-4 - works fine, lasts long time - very clean, repeatable
gains
Crane Song Trakker - one amazing compressor
Waves L2 (hardware) - decent A/D - great limiter - good dither options
Josephson 617 body + ACO 7046 capsule - accurate, reasonably quiet omni
B&K 4231 mic calibrator

Ok, those last two are for the laboratory which pays the bills here. The
Great River MP-4 works both jobs: lab work & studio.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Neil Henderson

"Handywired" wrote in message
I am leaning towards mic's and mic preamps, since the front end is where I
like
to spend the most money and time. My Sytek is decent but a truly clean
preamp
might be cool. I'd be looking at Millenia and Great River; any others I
should
consider? As far as mics, I love ribbons so one of the newer ribbon mics
is
intrigueing. A client brought in a BLUE mis that was very nice; bright,
crisp,
and not harsh at all. Or...? Think character. I love character.

Here's a few things for under your $2k target you might like:

*For around $1700-ish new, you can get a Chandler TG2 EMI/Abbey Road edition
mic pre & power supply (sold separately). Killer 2-channel mic pre with
character to spare. Also has DI inputs and an impedance switch for use with
ribbon mics. Once you record a vocal track with this you'll be hooked, and
since you're doing a metal act coming up, you'll no doubt be doing a lot of
heavy guitar tracking & this thing shines in that application.

*For anywhere from $1400 used to $1900 new, you could get an Avalon 737SP -
nice channel strip with a lot of versatility. Yeah, lotsa people have 'em,
so it's nothing really unique or esoteric, but they're very useful & sound
great, IMO.

*For around $1600 new you can get a Focusrite ISA 428 preamp bank. 4 mic
pres with variable impedance, DI's, inserts on each channel, and a digital
i/o option (for around another $500). nice coloration. No, these ain't quite
the ISA 110's, but they're very nice regardless; pretty clean with a bit of
coloration.

*You mentioned B.L.U.E. mics - which one did you get to hear? I've got a few
of their mics & am a big fan. You can get Blueberry's used for around $600
on e-slay, I've seen Kiwi's going for around $1,400 recently, Baby Bottle's
can often be had for around $350. BTW, if you don't have a B.L.U.E Ball yet,
grab a couple, they're great on guitar - Swee****er has them on sale now for
$99, IIRC.

Neil Henderson

hank alrich

Paul Stamler wrote:

Duh. When I said the Great River was not a character preamp, my brain wasn't
thinking of the NV model. Gotta drink some coffee.

That GR stuff is just a hell of a deal in lots of ways, in my book. The
original MP's are wonderfully clean for transformered inputs, the NV
stuff has character and color galore. I think it's genius kit in a
strong fun way.

--
ha

hank alrich wrote:
Paul Stamler wrote:

Duh. When I said the Great River was not a character preamp, my

brain wasn't
thinking of the NV model. Gotta drink some coffee.

That GR stuff is just a hell of a deal in lots of ways, in my book.

The
original MP's are wonderfully clean for transformered inputs, the NV
stuff has character and color galore. I think it's genius kit in a
strong fun way.

--
ha

Not to mention they seem to hold value very well...I see used ones
going for close to what I paid new for mine a couple of years ago.
Analogeezer