Scott Dorsey

Default Annual AES show awards

Best New Product In Show:
The AD1 DSD converter from Grimm Audio. Certainly one of the more carefully
designed A/D converters I have seen in a while, and the simplicity of the
DSD process makes it possible to implement with op-amps and comparators
rather than relying on monolithic converter chips.

Best Free Thing At Show:
In spite of wonderful free connectors from the Amphenol booth and a variety
of fine coffee products, the best actual free thing at the show this year
was the homemade wine from Robert Rich at the Millennia Media booth. It was
not the most amazing wine of all time, but it was probably the best homemade
wine I have had, and it certainly beat out many of the commercial products
at the various manufacturers' parties. It was well balanced and just oaked
enough. Not much of a finish, but still perfectly reasonable.

Best Panel At Show:
The student recording competition gave students from around the world a
chance to have their recordings evaluated by a panel of experts, but also
for the audience to hear those recording and the experts' commentary. The
awards presented were only a small part of what made this competition a
very enjoyable experience to watch. If only the playback system were a
little bit better, it could have been my absolute favorite part of the show.

Best Sound In Show:
Genelec, of all folks. I was really quite pleased at the new Genelec
monitors that are replacing the 103x series speakers. Very smooth top
end, with detail that isn't spitty, and without the weird pipe organ
resonances in some of their older speakers. Their demo sounded quite
remarkably good.

Loudest Sound In Show:
Apple Computers, whose demos could be heard even upstairs in the lobby.
Really surprising that these folks managed to outdo some extremely loud
competition.

Worst Sound in Show:
Climax Teknologies makes a line of speakers that look like very classy high
end home products, but sound like boxes filled randomly with the cheapest
possible drivers with no thought given to actual system response. A dozen
of them playing at the same time also leads to amazing comb filtering
effects. I'm not sure why these guys picked the AES show of all places to
show this equipment; briefly I had a flashback of being in Las Vegas at a
CES, it was so traumatic.

Best New Gadget That's Really Old:
The ADT V700 module system. This looks like a cross between a mastering
console and the old SCAMP racks. All of the standard mastering processor
modules are available, but also there are some wierd ones like noise gates
and ring modulators. And hey, you can even put mike preamp modules in there.

Best Paper In Show:
Alexander Voshivillo's _Comparative Analysis of Nonlinear Distortion in
Compression Drivers and Horns_, a talk surveying the various distortion
modes in horn speakers and compression drivers, with good quantitative
models for each one of them. Nothing too innovative, but a good summary
of recent research and a model that puts various distortion modes together
in one place. Preprint 6192.

Worst Paper In Show:
Tsakiris Vassilis and Orinos Chris' _Optimum Loudspeaker System with
Subwoofer and Digital Equalization_. What makes this a bad paper is that
it starts out asking the wrong question. They ask if tonal changes caused
by raising the crossover frequency on consumer subwoofers from 80 Hz to
120 Hz can be compensated for using DSP. And, they do a good job of
doing so, but tonal response is one of the least important issues. They
ignore impulse response completely, and they do nothing to look at the
severe damage in imaging by using a mono subwoofer crossed at 80 Hz, let
alone at 120 Hz. Preprint 6266.

Most Amusing Moment In Show:
Watching the Sennheiser folks being escorted out of the Audio-Technica party.

Best Quote At Show:
"Well, that's what killed DSD for Sony."

Best Costumes:
Bill Putnam and EveAnna Manley.

Worst Theft At Show:
Sunday night after the end of the convention, an SUV rented by Telefunken NA
was broken into at the Fifth and Mission garage. Four demo Telefunken
microphones were stolen, along with approximately 125 Aloha shirts and other
promotional materials. All of these mikes had very low serial numbers and
should be easy to identify.

Best Butt In Show:
Kurt Albershardt of Paragon Communications (boy butt) and Jamey D'Amato
of Sound Toys (girl butt).

Press Coup of the Year:
Bill Whitlock managed to get basically the same article with the same
illustrations into Live Sound and Radio World EE Extra, both the month
of the show, with both magazines available on the show floor.

Most Cleavage In Show:
Walter Storyk Design Group. In spite of tattoos that could have used
some touchup work, the sheer amount of cleavage displayed in this booth on
the part of a number of young women was impressive and made it very hard to
concentrate on the audio products being shown there.

Steven Sena

Most Cleavage In Show: ...

Yeah, I was amazed at so many lovely women at AES this year...
Maybe I'm just getting to be a horny old man... : )

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

[...]

bayydogg

good review. too bad about the mics. it's amazing how things get
stolen out of vehicles here a lot. it's almost as if people follow
people. whoever it was must have thought those shirts had mics in
them. look for the shirts and maybe it'll lead to the mics. nobody
wears hawaiian shirts here. mahalo.

Worst Theft At Show:
Sunday night after the end of the convention, an SUV rented by Telefunken NA
was broken into at the Fifth and Mission garage. Four demo Telefunken
microphones were stolen, along with approximately 125 Aloha shirts and other
promotional materials. All of these mikes had very low serial numbers and
should be easy to identify.

hank alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Most Cleavage In Show:
Walter Storyk Design Group. In spite of tattoos that could have used
some touchup work, the sheer amount of cleavage displayed in this booth on
the part of a number of young women was impressive and made it very hard to
concentrate on the audio products being shown there.

Which were what, voluminous acoustic couches? "With extra extra
absorption for those really sloppy low low notes!"

--
ha
hank alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Most Cleavage In Show:
Walter Storyk Design Group. In spite of tattoos that could have used
some touchup work, the sheer amount of cleavage displayed in this booth on
the part of a number of young women was impressive and made it very hard to
concentrate on the audio products being shown there.

Which were what, voluminous acoustic couches? "With extra extra
absorption for those really sloppy low low notes!"

--
ha

How do they get that "Awards Show" sound? Doc Pro Audio 1 October 23rd 04 10:35 AM
37th Annual CMA Awards finds Powell Audio Opinions 0 November 21st 03 02:39 AM
AES Show Report (LONG!!!!) Mike Rivers Pro Audio 17 October 31st 03 02:57 PM
AES Show Awards Scott Dorsey Pro Audio 4 October 30th 03 03:49 PM
NAMM Show Report - Summer 2003 John L Rice Pro Audio 15 August 8th 03 01:37 PM