Stewart Pinkerton

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:41:51 -0600, (John Byrns) wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to unconfuse me. I think I have it now.

Question to be answered when you have built the KISSASS: Is it dollar
for dollar better than the 38 year-old design?

I hope the transformer on your KISSASS meets your expectations in
overcoming Pinkerton's failures to meet the KISS guidelines which
caused the near-universal rejection of Pinkerton's so-called KISASS
Travesty. Remember that the power requirement is only 3W.

I look forward to your report in the fullness of time when you have
built the KISSASS.

Hi Andre,

I don't think I will be building my current "KISSASS" design because I
don't believe it would have the desired tube sound. The problem is that
it clips much too sharply and suddenly. Just below the clipping point the
distortion is all second harmonic, but when pushed even slightly into
clipping, with say 10% overdrive, the second harmonic disappears
completely, and is replaced by a comb like spectrum of all the harmonics
beyond the second. I believe this is caused by two factors, the first
being that transistors naturally clip very suddenly, unlike tubes which
have a soft clipping effect, and in addition my amplifier uses negative
feedback which magnifies the harmonics above the second once clipping
starts.

Stewart's amplifier should be better in this regard as the negative
feedback used in his amplifier is not as egregious as in my amplifier, but
his amplifier probably still would suffer from the sharp clipping effect
of transistors, the effect just wouldn't be magnified by the negative
feedback as in my initial design.

To have a true solid state equivalent to the 300B amplifier I will have to
first find a way to remove the negative feedback, which is not easily
accomplished in my current design which depends on the negative feedback
loop to establish the DC operating point for the transistors, and also to
provide the required input resistance with only two transistors. It would
probably be easy enough to retain negative feedback at DC to stabilize the
operating point while eliminating the feedback in the audio band, but that
would cause the input resistance to be too low. A third transistor would
probably be needed to restore the input resistance to the desired value.

Eliminating the feedback should bring my design into parity with
Stewart's, but at that point both would still suffer from the sudden onset
of clipping and the rich harmonic spectrum that produces. To fix that
problem would require the development of a simple circuit to produce a
soft clipping effect similar to tubes, which is a trickier problem, or I
am sure Stewart would have already incorporated such a circuit in his
design.

Since all the hoorah about 300B SETs seems to centre around the
principle that 'the first watt is the most important', I wasn't too
concened about clipping in my 8-9 watt design. Having said that, the
main gain stage should provide a degree of 'soft clipping' not
dissimilar to that of an SET. This can be increased by reducing the
rail voltage of this stage by increasing R12, 13 and 14, although this
will also worsen distortion at lower levels.

Patrick Turner

John Byrns wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Tube amps clip sharply even without NFB, and even triode amps.
With music program, occasional clipping is not noticed by most people,
but there is a point where it is all to easily noticed, and it makes little
difference whether there is NFB or not.

Operation of any audio amp should always be well short of clipping.

Stewart's amplifier should be better in this regard as the negative
feedback used in his amplifier is not as egregious as in my amplifier, but
his amplifier probably still would suffer from the sharp clipping effect
of transistors, the effect just wouldn't be magnified by the negative
feedback as in my initial design.

But Pinky's amp has an enormous amount of series voltage NFB,
and it will definately clip sharply, like a Williamson, even with only
12 dB of NFB.
They all damn well clip, and a triode amp can only make a couple
of dB above onset of clipping before the sound turns to mud.

To have a true solid state equivalent to the 300B amplifier I will have to
first find a way to remove the negative feedback, which is not easily
accomplished in my current design which depends on the negative feedback
loop to establish the DC operating point for the transistors, and also to
provide the required input resistance with only two transistors.

People have been trying to get rid of NFB when using output transistors
and they have never succeeded.

A power bjt has a collector resistance to load resistance ratio which is as
poor as
a pentode anode Ra to RL.

It is imperative to use NFB.
Pinky has chosen around 70 dB of series voltage NFB
in the form of emitter follower configuration.

Nelson Pass uses the barest minimum of 12 dB of shunt NFB around one lone gain
mosfet.
He approximates a tube's outcome behaviour fairly well,
but Pinky does not.

It would
probably be easy enough to retain negative feedback at DC to stabilize the
operating point while eliminating the feedback in the audio band, but that
would cause the input resistance to be too low. A third transistor would
probably be needed to restore the input resistance to the desired value.

The simplest and easiest poweramp uses a source follower
pair of mosfets as a simple buffer with no gain.

Then you can have a preamp which makes 10 vrms,
and you get 10 watts of class A into 8 ohms.

But the original idea was to make something usable from a CD player with no
pre-amp.
OK, use a single gain transistor ahead of the two comp pair class A mosfets.

Pinky said the transistors he chose would be ideal.
MJL4281, MJL4302.
http://www.ebv.com/en/products/mip_l...conductor.html

The hfe stated for these devices is 80 to 240.
Therfore, with EF config, and assuming hfe might be 100,
if you have 5 vrms into 8 ohms, collector current is 0.625 amps and
base current is 0.00625 amps Rin = 5 / 0.00625 = 800 ohms.

I recall Pinky said Rin would be higher, but lets say it was 800 ohms.

You will need another transistor to buffer this 800 ohms, hence Pinky's
gain transistor, and his input emitter follower.

Its a 3 stage amp, not a two stage one, like the 300B amp.

It might sound OK, and you must build it to find out.
maybe its a nice amp in its own way;
it just don't weigh much.

Eliminating the feedback should bring my design into parity with
Stewart's, but at that point both would still suffer from the sudden onset
of clipping and the rich harmonic spectrum that produces.

Forget what amps do when they clip. Its all bad news.

What about designing for what they can do well before they clip?

To fix that
problem would require the development of a simple circuit to produce a
soft clipping effect similar to tubes, which is a trickier problem, or I
am sure Stewart would have already incorporated such a circuit in his
design.

For so called smooth clipping, you need to build a compressor,
with a diode in a feedback path, and then you rely on the
non linear turn on character of the diode, and voila, a logarithmic
amp, which makes a nice compressor.

If you set up such an amp with speakers at the bottom of a swimming pool,
it will sound like it should.

Patrick Turner.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/

Patrick Turner

wrote:

[...]

YYUK!!!.

Patrick Turner.

Iain M Churches

"Stimpy" wrote in message

Corton rouge rather than Corton Rouge surely?

Correct. with a lower-case "r"
Does that make it any less drinkable, I wonder?

:-))

Iain

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:41:48 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

John Byrns wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

No it won't, because 'soft clipping' takes place in the voltage gain
stage. Indeed, if you increase R12,13 and 14 to drop the supply
voltage to Tr2 to the same as that of the output stage, there's no
clipping at all from the emitter followers, it's *all* coming from the
voltage stage.

People have been trying to get rid of NFB when using output transistors
and they have never succeeded.

Depends how you define NFB, doesn't it Pat? :-)

[...]

I said it would be 1600, because at a Tj of 100C, hfe is typically 200
for these devices.

You will need another transistor to buffer this 800 ohms, hence Pinky's
gain transistor, and his input emitter follower.

Depends on the CD player, but yes, that's why the input EF is there.

Its a 3 stage amp, not a two stage one, like the 300B amp.

Depends how you look at it - my output EFs are an impedance
transformer, just like the OPT on the 300B amp.

It might sound OK, and you must build it to find out.
maybe its a nice amp in its own way;
it just don't weigh much.

Depends - you could cast the heatsinks from good thick copper! :-)

Eliminating the feedback should bring my design into parity with
Stewart's, but at that point both would still suffer from the sudden onset
of clipping and the rich harmonic spectrum that produces.

Forget what amps do when they clip. Its all bad news.

Agreed, and I understood the flea-power KISS design rationale to be
that 'the first watt is the most important'.

John:

The premise of the KISS 300B is explicitly that it will never clip. It
is a c4W amp designed for a horn speaker that will never in normal or
abnormal service demand as much as a whole watt. The question of
overload behaviour therefore does not arise. It seems to me that you
are cutting a rod for your own back by assuming your transistor design
must be good all the way to clipping, never mind behaving gracefully
beyond. The question is what happens at 1W, at which point the
determining factor in the comparison with the KISS 300B should be the
quality of the harmonic spectrum. Comparison at 1W is a fair
competition. It is not serendipidous that my amp is good right up to
the design max of 3.8W but for the purposes of the competition it is
irrelevant.

Andre Jute

John Byrns wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Patrick Turner

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:41:48 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

John Byrns wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Nad did "soft clip" amps about 20 years ago, and
lord knows why.

People have been trying to get rid of NFB when using output transistors
and they have never succeeded.

Depends how you define NFB, doesn't it Pat? :-)

Oh, you wanting to define so you can say you ain't using any because its
only emitter follower FB?

Series voltage NFB is series voltage NFB, and your
schematic shows you have a shirtload of it.
It ain't global, but its local, and just there.

And you have another shirtload in the input buffer follower,

And you have third shirtful of series current NFB in the
driver gain stage, without which your amp would sound
abominable.

You have 3 NFB stooges in your amp, all big burly fellas,
there to whip the transistors into linearity,
and without these heavy dudes, your transistors
are quite useless.

[...]

Let's not split hairs.
Allow for device variations.
I'll believe hfe = 200 when i see it.

Goorrd, 100C? I'd be worried.....

You will need another transistor to buffer this 800 ohms, hence Pinky's
gain transistor, and his input emitter follower.

Depends on the CD player, but yes, that's why the input EF is there.

Its a 3 stage amp, not a two stage one, like the 300B amp.

Depends how you look at it - my output EFs are an impedance
transformer, just like the OPT on the 300B amp.

It might sound OK, and you must build it to find out.
maybe its a nice amp in its own way;
it just don't weigh much.

Depends - you could cast the heatsinks from good thick copper! :-)

I have zero intention of building your amp.

Eliminating the feedback should bring my design into parity with
Stewart's, but at that point both would still suffer from the sudden onset
of clipping and the rich harmonic spectrum that produces.

Forget what amps do when they clip. Its all bad news.

Agreed, and I understood the flea-power KISS design rationale to be
that 'the first watt is the most important'.

Good luck with your project.

I don't see too many wanting to build the thing......

Even you don't seem keen to.

Crazy, really.

Patrick Turner.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:23:57 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Series voltage NFB is series voltage NFB, and your
schematic shows you have a shirtload of it.
It ain't global, but its local, and just there.

And you have another shirtload in the input buffer follower,

And you have third shirtful of series current NFB in the
driver gain stage, without which your amp would sound
abominable.

No more than you'll find in a triode valve with the same stage gain.

You have 3 NFB stooges in your amp, all big burly fellas,
there to whip the transistors into linearity,
and without these heavy dudes, your transistors
are quite useless.

Similarly, without a big burly air-gapped OPT, a single-ended 300B is
no darn use for audio. Different techiques for different technologies.

Pinky said the transistors he chose would be ideal.
MJL4281, MJL4302.
http://www.ebv.com/en/products/mip_l...conductor.html

The hfe stated for these devices is 80 to 240.
Therfore, with EF config, and assuming hfe might be 100,
if you have 5 vrms into 8 ohms, collector current is 0.625 amps and
base current is 0.00625 amps Rin = 5 / 0.00625 = 800 ohms.

I recall Pinky said Rin would be higher, but lets say it was 800 ohms.

I said it would be 1600, because at a Tj of 100C, hfe is typically 200
for these devices.

Let's not split hairs.
Allow for device variations.
I'll believe hfe = 200 when i see it.

Check the data sheets for these devices, that's the typical figure.

Goorrd, 100C? I'd be worried.....

Tj of 100C is not an issue for decent silicon, and is a pretty common
operating point for power transistors used in class A amps.

John Byrns

wrote:

Its a 3 stage amp, not a two stage one, like the 300B amp.

Depends how you look at it - my output EFs are an impedance
transformer, just like the OPT on the 300B amp.

"Just like"? You have a mighty strange way of "looking at it"! An
emitter follower might change the impedance level in a circuit, but the
comparison with a transformer ends there. A transformer changes
impedance, but does not add any power, in fact it subtracts a small amount
of power. Your emitter follower on the other hand not only changes the
impedance level, but unlike a transformer, it also adds considerable power
to the output, in the case of your amplifier it provides the vast majority
of the output power from the amplifier.

Your comparison of the EF to a Transformer is completely bogus, they are
in no way similar.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/

Patrick Turner

wrote:

Series voltage NFB is series voltage NFB, and your
schematic shows you have a shirtload of it.
It ain't global, but its local, and just there.

And you have another shirtload in the input buffer follower,

And you have third shirtful of series current NFB in the
driver gain stage, without which your amp would sound
abominable.

No more than you'll find in a triode valve with the same stage gain.

You don't know what I would find re the sound.

But we note your reluctance to build, test, and supply
tech data, thd/imd, etc.

You have 3 NFB stooges in your amp, all big burly fellas,
there to whip the transistors into linearity,
and without these heavy dudes, your transistors
are quite useless.

Similarly, without a big burly air-gapped OPT, a single-ended 300B is
no darn use for audio. Different techiques for different technologies.

Utter garbage.

[...]

I worry if anything goes over 50C, unless its designed to run happily
at 200C, external temp, like a tube, which runs happily at 900
at the cathode.
100C for a transistor is too hot for me.

If you only want 5 watts, You should have no more than 15 watts Pd per device.

two devices allow up to 30 watts;
Anyway, no need to really have the chips running at 100C at all.
And why try to make the transistors run hot just so the hfe can be high?

And if you had the buffer where it should be, between the input gain stage and

output bases, your design wouldn't need to have an input buffer because the
input stage
will be high enough Rin.
A gain pot and CD source is quite well naturally buffered by such an input
stage.
The buffer input stage is utterly superflous, and erroneous, if you want to
keep it simple.
The input gain stage can then use higher R values for Rc and Re, and the
applied mountain of local current NFB will be all the more effective
since the open loop gain rises with collector RL.
The soft clipping in the output stage is no great option.
The whole drive amp is bit "spongy", ie, the output current
tries to modulate the input current to a small but rotten amount.

Get real, build the SS amp they way it should be done, and forget all about
trying to be a hero and outsmart a simple 300B design.

But be a man, and like us, solder something together you can be proud of,
and stop bitching about crummy 300B amps.
We already know 300B is OK, and any crap you spout won't change anyone.

What we dunno is whether your concoction is going to sound any good.
Nor do you because you ain't made the damn thing.
So until you build it, and test it, and gain some peer reviews at least,
quit crowing like a silly rooster about the performance of some
bloomin thing that has not actually been built.

If you want respect around these parts, where most people
think you just don't belong, do some bloomin work.

Patrick Turner

Iain M Churches

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

(Abvout the KISASS amp)

But we note your reluctance to build, test, and supply
tech data, thd/imd, etc.

I was quite interested to build it, until I noticed that the designer
had not even bothered to do so. That doesn't show much faith
in his design:-)

Come on Stewart, get the soldering iron going. Build this thing
and post some test results.

Get real, build the SS amp they way it should be done, and forget all
about
trying to be a hero and outsmart a simple 300B design.

But be a man, and like us, solder something together you can be proud of,
and stop bitching about crummy 300B amps.
We already know 300B is OK, and any crap you spout won't change anyone.

What we dunno is whether your concoction is going to sound any good.
Nor do you because you ain't made the damn thing.
So until you build it, and test it, and gain some peer reviews at least,
quit crowing like a silly rooster about the performance of some
bloomin thing that has not actually been built.

If you want respect around these parts, where most people
think you just don't belong, do some bloomin work.

I took a look at Stewart's pics of his listening room. I was impressed by
the equipment. Lots of solid engineering there, but all other people's
engineering. Nothing (with the possible exception of a RIAA stage) of his
own.

Compare with most people on RAT. The difference speaks for itself.

Iain

Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:35:35 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Tj of 100C is not an issue for decent silicon, and is a pretty common
operating point for power transistors used in class A amps.

I worry if anything goes over 50C, unless its designed to run happily
at 200C, external temp, like a tube, which runs happily at 900
at the cathode.
100C for a transistor is too hot for me.

A *junction* temperature of 50C is virtually unachievable with any
class A amp, and is utterly pointless. Note that these devices have a
junction/case resistance of 2.5C/watt, so that they'll be running
above 50C with a heatsink the size of Greenland!

If you only want 5 watts, You should have no more than 15 watts Pd per device.

two devices allow up to 30 watts;
Anyway, no need to really have the chips running at 100C at all.
And why try to make the transistors run hot just so the hfe can be high?

Just do the math, Patrick.................

And if you had the buffer where it should be, between the input gain stage and
output bases, your design wouldn't need to have an input buffer because the
input stage
will be high enough Rin.

The output buffer *is* where it should be, for the amp to work as
intended.

Get real, build the SS amp they way it should be done, and forget all about
trying to be a hero and outsmart a simple 300B design.

You just don't get it, do you? If you want to build an *optimum*
'KISASS', just use the Linsley Hood design from 1969.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:32:10 +0200, "Iain M Churches"
wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

(Abvout the KISASS amp)

But we note your reluctance to build, test, and supply
tech data, thd/imd, etc.

I was quite interested to build it, until I noticed that the designer
had not even bothered to do so. That doesn't show much faith
in his design:-)

Come on Stewart, get the soldering iron going. Build this thing
and post some test results.

I've already stipulated that this isn't a *good* amplifier, just
similar to KISS in its fundamental simplicity and avoidance of loop
NFB. If you want to build a *good* small SS amp, use the Linsley Hood
design from 1969.

I took a look at Stewart's pics of his listening room. I was impressed by
the equipment. Lots of solid engineering there, but all other people's
engineering. Nothing (with the possible exception of a RIAA stage) of his
own.

Untrue, the passive controller and cabling are also homebrewed.
However, the Krell cost me about the same as I would have paid for the
parts, so why bother? The existence of a commercial SS amplifier is
the only difference between my gear and that of the RATers - note that
the UKRA website also contains illustrations of the gear of several
RATers - and you won't find *any* of their own designs. Building a WAD
kit doesn't count.

Compare with most people on RAT. The difference speaks for itself.

Oh, you guys build large planar speakers, FM tuners, CD players and
record decks, do you? I've paid my dues as a hobbyist in the past,
even built my own speakers, but with age comes wisdom........

You love to sneer, Churches, but you are a whited sepulchre.

Patrick Turner

wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

(Abvout the KISASS amp)

But we note your reluctance to build, test, and supply
tech data, thd/imd, etc.

I was quite interested to build it, until I noticed that the designer
had not even bothered to do so. That doesn't show much faith
in his design:-)

Come on Stewart, get the soldering iron going. Build this thing
and post some test results.

I've already stipulated that this isn't a *good* amplifier, just
similar to KISS in its fundamental simplicity and avoidance of loop
NFB. If you want to build a *good* small SS amp, use the Linsley Hood
design from 1969.

Well if your design is not a *good* amplifier,
why the **** do you promote it here on a group
devoted to tubecraft????

You are very immature about this whole simple SS amp BS.

BTW, Linsley Hood's SS class A design is no big deal.

[...]

Wisdom? from Pinky?

shish........................

You love to sneer, Churches, but you are a whited sepulchre.
--

Yes but Pinky's whole attitude is one that sneers at ppl using tubes.

Patrick Turner.

Iain M Churches

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
You love to sneer, Churches, but you are a whited sepulchre.

You promised to *entertain* us (your words) Can't you do
better than that Oh Master of Wit and Repartee?

Don't get me wrong, I am trying so hard to take you seriously:-))

But I just can't fathom out why such a gifted precision
analogue engineer doesn't design or build, and works
9-5 in the post room of a bank.

But, hey, who cares? Just as long as I don't have to do it:-))

Iain

Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

About KISASS

I've already stipulated that this isn't a *good* amplifier, just
similar to KISS in its fundamental simplicity and avoidance of loop
NFB. If you want to build a *good* small SS amp, use the Linsley Hood
design from 1969.

Well if your design is not a *good* amplifier,
why the **** do you promote it here on a group
devoted to tubecraft????

Because it's simulating *another* bad amplifier - a single-ended 300B.
Besides which, ****wit, I was *invited* to submit such a design.

You are very immature about this whole simple SS amp BS.

You are very immature and tubecentric about the appropriate
application of technology.

BTW, Linsley Hood's SS class A design is no big deal.

It is the best-known example of a simple but high-quality low-powered
SS amp, and it is particularly relevant here because it was
*specifically* designed to be a sonic match for the legendary
Willaimson valve amplifier.

[...]

Pearls before swine, it would seem..... :-)

You love to sneer, Churches, but you are a whited sepulchre.

Yes but Pinky's whole attitude is one that sneers at ppl using tubes.

Only if they make bull**** claims about tubes.

Ruud Broens

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:35:35 +1100, Patrick Turner
: wrote:
:
:
[...]

: --
:
: Stewart Pinkerton | Music is Art - Audio is Engineering

You just don't get it, do you?
The argument being originally that a minimal parts count amplifier with a 300B
could be *matched or surpassed* by a SS design of similar design
is by your own statement above a hopeless task for the SS design:

"If you want to build an *optimum*
'KISASS', just use the Linsley Hood design from 1969"

iow no match, eh ?
Rudy

Patrick Turner

Iain M Churches wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
You love to sneer, Churches, but you are a whited sepulchre.

You promised to *entertain* us (your words) Can't you do
better than that Oh Master of Wit and Repartee?

Don't get me wrong, I am trying so hard to take you seriously:-))

But I just can't fathom out why such a gifted precision
analogue engineer doesn't design or build, and works
9-5 in the post room of a bank.

Maybe he likes getting his digits near the money.
Its easier than stuffing transistors up his analog.

Patrick Turner.

But, hey, who cares? Just as long as I don't have to do it:-))

Iain

Patrick Turner

wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

About KISASS

I've already stipulated that this isn't a *good* amplifier, just
similar to KISS in its fundamental simplicity and avoidance of loop
NFB. If you want to build a *good* small SS amp, use the Linsley Hood
design from 1969.

Well if your design is not a *good* amplifier,
why the **** do you promote it here on a group
devoted to tubecraft????

Because it's simulating *another* bad amplifier - a single-ended 300B.
Besides which, ****wit, I was *invited* to submit such a design.

PPL thought you would submit a simple SS design
and build and test a sample, and earn recognition for it.

But all you've done is create a solid state parody of what is possible,
a mocking gesture of a tube amp, and your achievement is entirely negligible so
far.

And the design is rather fruity, not an optimal use of transistors,
as any engineer would see.

You are very immature about this whole simple SS amp BS.

You are very immature and tubecentric about the appropriate
application of technology.

I know how to use both appropriately, and constantly build fine working
examples using SS devices or tubes.

One project this week is to rebuild a James B Lansing amp from around
1960, complete with Ge transistors and input transformers.
The Ge transistors and emitter follower class B output stage without loop NFB
will be completely revised along the lines of what Douglas Self
promotes.
Its a really crummy old amp, but has a nice box and layout, so the cosmetics
will be kept in honour of Mr JBL, who gave the amp to my customer.
The amp will use modern silicon SS devices, and a decent amount of loop FB,
and there will be no more random failures of old bits and peices in the old amp.

Absolutely no ideas invented by one Mr S Pinkerton will be incorporated.

You build nothing, and your game is mere cheap jest.

IMHO, its a silly waste of time trying to design a BJT amp electronically
as simple as any tube amp, and to mimic the highish Ro
of a tube amp, although you are free to do it.
It will *never* be as simple as a Pass mosfet design, nor as simple
as a two stage SE tube amp.

And its doubtful if it will sound as good, but I leave *you*
to do the hard yards and find out.

Most SS amps sound their best with loop NFB, since without NFB,
SS amps are so often such poor performers.

Patrick Turner

BTW, Linsley Hood's SS class A design is no big deal.

It is the best-known example of a simple but high-quality low-powered
SS amp, and it is particularly relevant here because it was
*specifically* designed to be a sonic match for the legendary
Willaimson valve amplifier.

Its not the best SS class A design.

And only such low power.

Sure the designer is well known, and sure he wanted a match
for the Williamson, but so what?

The Williamson is a good tube design, but not necessarily the best.

Patrick Turner.

[...]

Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:46:56 +0100, "Ruud Broens"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
.. .
: On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:35:35 +1100, Patrick Turner
: wrote:
:
:
[...]

You just don't get it, do you? While KISASS may certainly meet or
exceed (in fact it's intended to simulate, not 'exceed') the
performance of KISS, it is *not* an optimum simple SS design, being
crippled IMHO by the pre-requisites of no loop feedback, and a design
targetted at having a 'single-ended' transfer function.

IOW, it's easily possible to *vastly* exceed the performance of KISS,
but only by doing things very differently, which was *not* the point
of the exercise.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:09:17 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Iain M Churches wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
You love to sneer, Churches, but you are a whited sepulchre.

You promised to *entertain* us (your words) Can't you do
better than that Oh Master of Wit and Repartee?

Don't get me wrong, I am trying so hard to take you seriously:-))

But I just can't fathom out why such a gifted precision
analogue engineer doesn't design or build, and works
9-5 in the post room of a bank.

Maybe he likes getting his digits near the money.
Its easier than stuffing transistors up his analog.

Got it in one. I enjoy my work, which pays well in comparison with
hardware engineering, and I enjoy my hobbies. IME, best not to mix the
two.

Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

About KISASS

I've already stipulated that this isn't a *good* amplifier, just
similar to KISS in its fundamental simplicity and avoidance of loop
NFB. If you want to build a *good* small SS amp, use the Linsley Hood
design from 1969.

Well if your design is not a *good* amplifier,
why the **** do you promote it here on a group
devoted to tubecraft????

Because it's simulating *another* bad amplifier - a single-ended 300B.
Besides which, ****wit, I was *invited* to submit such a design.

PPL thought you would submit a simple SS design
and build and test a sample, and earn recognition for it.

Did they indeed? Then why did they insist that it be single-ended, and
not have loop feedback?

But all you've done is create a solid state parody of what is possible,
a mocking gesture of a tube amp,

Thanks - that was exactly what was intended.

and your achievement is entirely negligible so
far.

In your humble opinionj, of course...........

And the design is rather fruity, not an optimal use of transistors,
as any engineer would see.

Not argued at all, as it was never *meant* to be an optimal use of
transistors, merely a simulation of a single-ended 300B.

You are very immature about this whole simple SS amp BS.

You are very immature and tubecentric about the appropriate
application of technology.

I know how to use both appropriately, and constantly build fine working
examples using SS devices or tubes.

Yes, of course you do, dearie.

One project this week is to rebuild a James B Lansing amp from around
1960, complete with Ge transistors and input transformers.
The Ge transistors and emitter follower class B output stage without loop NFB
will be completely revised along the lines of what Douglas Self
promotes.
Its a really crummy old amp, but has a nice box and layout, so the cosmetics
will be kept in honour of Mr JBL, who gave the amp to my customer.
The amp will use modern silicon SS devices, and a decent amount of loop FB,
and there will be no more random failures of old bits and peices in the old amp.

OK, you're going to put a modern amp into an old box. Whoop-de-doo.

Absolutely no ideas invented by one Mr S Pinkerton will be incorporated.

Well, if you wanted a decent phono amp in there................ :-)

You build nothing, and your game is mere cheap jest.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

IMHO, its a silly waste of time trying to design a BJT amp electronically
as simple as any tube amp, and to mimic the highish Ro
of a tube amp, although you are free to do it.
It will *never* be as simple as a Pass mosfet design, nor as simple
as a two stage SE tube amp.

Agreed, but it meets the requirements, despite your typical aussie
whining.

And its doubtful if it will sound as good, but I leave *you*
to do the hard yards and find out.

Already stated that I won't be building it.

Most SS amps sound their best with loop NFB, since without NFB,
SS amps are so often such poor performers.

Never argued - appropriate techiniques should be used for each
technology, and the 'single-ended zero feedback' thing that some
tubies have going, is utter ********, as I'm sure you agree.

BTW, Linsley Hood's SS class A design is no big deal.

It is the best-known example of a simple but high-quality low-powered
SS amp, and it is particularly relevant here because it was
*specifically* designed to be a sonic match for the legendary
Willaimson valve amplifier.

Its not the best SS class A design.

Sez who?

And only such low power.

Everything is designed within certain parameters, and the JLH is a
10-watter, produced at a time when most speakers had 90dB/w/m
sensitivity. Did you have a point, or are you just whining again,
because no one outside RAT ever heard of *you*? :-)

Sure the designer is well known, and sure he wanted a match
for the Williamson, but so what?

The designer is well-known *because* of that ampl;ifier, which was a
landmark design.

The Williamson is a good tube design, but not necessarily the best.

Sez who?

Patrick Turner

wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
.. .
: On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:35:35 +1100, Patrick Turner
: wrote:
:
:
[...]

I don't know about you, but exactly what is your point of posting a paper
design to ppl at r.a.t while rubbishing any creativity with just a couple of tubes?

Your design uses 70 dB of local follower NFB.

I for one won't say that is an evil thing in itself, and I would also say
SS devices need all the NFB that can be mustered, because without NFB at all
they are unusable, unlistenable, and there *must* be a lotta NFB.

There is no need to have emitter follower topology;
and remember that your paper wonder is an inverting amp,
something that would seriously offend a lot of ppl.

If the load is in the collector circuit of the outputs, loop FB can be brought
back easily to the emitter of an input device, thus setting the gain, amount of FB
and the input impedance all in the one loop of NFB, rather
than having 3 cascaded stages with 3 loops of FB as you propose.

Its useless talking to you though, you already told us your'e stubborn.
I saw 3 transistor class A amp which beats your idea for simplicity
in a recent Audio Express article.

You might think your idea is a little you beaut wonder,
but any discriminating SS cognescenti would never agree.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner

wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

About KISASS

I've already stipulated that this isn't a *good* amplifier, just
similar to KISS in its fundamental simplicity and avoidance of loop
NFB. If you want to build a *good* small SS amp, use the Linsley Hood
design from 1969.

Well if your design is not a *good* amplifier,
why the **** do you promote it here on a group
devoted to tubecraft????

Because it's simulating *another* bad amplifier - a single-ended 300B.
Besides which, ****wit, I was *invited* to submit such a design.

PPL thought you would submit a simple SS design
and build and test a sample, and earn recognition for it.

Did they indeed? Then why did they insist that it be single-ended, and
not have loop feedback?

You proposed at your outset upon your quest that
NFB is verboten.
We all laughed, because we know its impossible to build anything
with SS, and not have shirtfulls and bucket fulls of NFB.

But all you've done is create a solid state parody of what is possible,
a mocking gesture of a tube amp,

Thanks - that was exactly what was intended.

Well if any one of us designed a tube amp to mimic the
ways and whiles of SS, we'd be laughed at.

And they are all laughing at you.

and your achievement is entirely negligible so
far.

In your humble opinionj, of course...........

You have nothing soldered together, just a paper
proposition.

And the design is rather fruity, not an optimal use of transistors,
as any engineer would see.

Not argued at all, as it was never *meant* to be an optimal use of
transistors, merely a simulation of a single-ended 300B.

I must build a motor launch one day to mimic/simulate a sail boat.
But only if I was desperate to be the fool of the harbour.

[...]

But it will work very well technically, and I hope sound a lot
better than a transformer driven quad of class B Ge transistors
with no loop FB.
Anything would be better than this JBL chamber of sonic horrors.
And JBL himself would approve the upgrade; he moved with the times,
and addopted SS with a passion asap.
I don't think the 30 watt amps he made with SS that I have here were anywhere near
as good as most 30 watt tube amps..

Absolutely no ideas invented by one Mr S Pinkerton will be incorporated.

Well, if you wanted a decent phono amp in there................ :-)

Well I wouldn't.

You build nothing, and your game is mere cheap jest.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

IMHO, its a silly waste of time trying to design a BJT amp electronically
as simple as any tube amp, and to mimic the highish Ro
of a tube amp, although you are free to do it.
It will *never* be as simple as a Pass mosfet design, nor as simple
as a two stage SE tube amp.

Agreed, but it meets the requirements, despite your typical aussie
whining.

But you are the man on a mission, and its a pointless one.

And its doubtful if it will sound as good, but I leave *you*
to do the hard yards and find out.

Already stated that I won't be building it.

And I doubt anyone else will either.

Most SS amps sound their best with loop NFB, since without NFB,
SS amps are so often such poor performers.

Never argued - appropriate techiniques should be used for each
technology, and the 'single-ended zero feedback' thing that some
tubies have going, is utter ********, as I'm sure you agree.

You see, there you go again, de-legitimizing a fine way to listen to audio.

Basically, you are calling us *******s, and none are impressed by your rudeness.
It just makes you look a fool.

BTW, Linsley Hood's SS class A design is no big deal.

It is the best-known example of a simple but high-quality low-powered
SS amp, and it is particularly relevant here because it was
*specifically* designed to be a sonic match for the legendary
Willaimson valve amplifier.

Its not the best SS class A design.

Sez who?

Plenty.

And only such low power.

Everything is designed within certain parameters, and the JLH is a
10-watter, produced at a time when most speakers had 90dB/w/m
sensitivity. Did you have a point, or are you just whining again,
because no one outside RAT ever heard of *you*? :-)

I earn a living as an audio engineer, and none of my many clients
bother with r.a.t ; most don't know r.a.t exists.

The point is that you sould broaden your mind, and realize that your
judgements of SET are seen as all BS, because we have all heard
fine music using SET based amp systems.
Its an ironic situation.

Sure the designer is well known, and sure he wanted a match
for the Williamson, but so what?

The designer is well-known *because* of that ampl;ifier, which was a
landmark design.

But JLH already had a big profile at Wireless World,
so it wasn't difficult for him to gild it further with a class A SS
design.
After 1960, all the electronics in the world was being reformed
and tubes all replaced with transistors, so the new heroes of this reformation glowed

with pride at their tube replacements.

Many would say they threw out the baby with the bathwater.

The Williamson is a good tube design, but not necessarily the best.

Sez who?

Plenty.

Do your own homework.

Patrick Turner.

John Byrns

wrote:

And if you had the buffer where it should be, between the input gain stage
and output bases, your design wouldn't need to have an input buffer because
the input stage
will be high enough Rin.

The output buffer *is* where it should be, for the amp to work as
intended.

Get real, build the SS amp they way it should be done, and forget all about
trying to be a hero and outsmart a simple 300B design.

You just don't get it, do you? If you want to build an *optimum*
'KISASS', just use the Linsley Hood design from 1969.

How do you figure the 1969 JLH design is "optimum"? It looks to me like
your "KISASS" design is at least as "optimum" as the JLH design. I would
think a more optimum design would be a combination of the two designs,
taking the best features of each.

The JLH design is flawed because the basic circuit topology produces a
high level of distortion, and it is only through the application of
negative feedback that the distortion is reduced to tolerable levels. It
would be better to take a design similar to yours, with lower open loop
distortion, and then put loop feedback around that to achieve a really
good SS design.

I have been surfing the web these last couple of days trying to locate
information on the 1969 JLH design, when I finally found the schematic I
was amazed to see that the basic circuit of JLH's amplifier is essentially
identical to the current source version of my "KISSASS" design. The
difference being that my "KISSASS" design is a true single ended design,
with Tr2 connected as a current source, or replaced by an output
transformer, rather than being driven by the collector of Tr3. This
leaves Tr3 & Tr1 connected as a simple Darlington pair, making it possible
to delete Tr3 if the beta of the remaining transistors is sufficiently
high.

However I don't particularly care for the JLH/"KISSASS" approach because
it depends on negative feedback to make the high inherent distortion more
tolerable. A better idea would be to take a design like your "KISASS",
with its lower inherent distortion, and then apply NFB to reduce the
distortion to even lower levels.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/
Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

And if you had the buffer where it should be, between the input gain stage
and output bases, your design wouldn't need to have an input buffer because
the input stage
will be high enough Rin.

The output buffer *is* where it should be, for the amp to work as
intended.

Get real, build the SS amp they way it should be done, and forget all about
trying to be a hero and outsmart a simple 300B design.

You just don't get it, do you? If you want to build an *optimum*
'KISASS', just use the Linsley Hood design from 1969.

How do you figure the 1969 JLH design is "optimum"? It looks to me like
your "KISASS" design is at least as "optimum" as the JLH design. I would
think a more optimum design would be a combination of the two designs,
taking the best features of each.

I designed KISASS according to the basic pre-conditions of a basically
single-ended transfer function, less than 10 watts output into any
reasonable speaker load, and no loop NFB. It was never intended to be
an 'optimal' design, except within those constraints.

The JLH design is flawed because the basic circuit topology produces a
high level of distortion, and it is only through the application of
negative feedback that the distortion is reduced to tolerable levels. It
would be better to take a design similar to yours, with lower open loop
distortion, and then put loop feedback around that to achieve a really
good SS design.

That *may* be true, and indeed is the whole premise of KISS, but if
you regard an amplifier as a black box where you only have access to
the output terminals, how would you show that the JLH was 'inferior'?

I have been surfing the web these last couple of days trying to locate
information on the 1969 JLH design, when I finally found the schematic I
was amazed to see that the basic circuit of JLH's amplifier is essentially
identical to the current source version of my "KISSASS" design. The
difference being that my "KISSASS" design is a true single ended design,
with Tr2 connected as a current source, or replaced by an output
transformer, rather than being driven by the collector of Tr3. This
leaves Tr3 & Tr1 connected as a simple Darlington pair, making it possible
to delete Tr3 if the beta of the remaining transistors is sufficiently
high.

Well y'know, there isn't a *lot* that one could claim as totally
original, after so many years with so many designers involved! :-)

However I don't particularly care for the JLH/"KISSASS" approach because
it depends on negative feedback to make the high inherent distortion more
tolerable. A better idea would be to take a design like your "KISASS",
with its lower inherent distortion, and then apply NFB to reduce the
distortion to even lower levels.

OK, but I've always respected the JLH design as having an elegant
simplicity, along with proveably excellent performance. However, I
took on board the notion that loop NFB can generate high-order
artifacts that wouldn't otherwise be there, and designed KISASS
accordingly. I don't buy into that particular philosophy in the real
world, but I believe KISASS to be a reasonably good realisation of
that philosophy, while avoiding the so-called 'magic' of the 300B.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:04:50 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Sure the designer is well known, and sure he wanted a match
for the Williamson, but so what?

The designer is well-known *because* of that amplifier, which was a
landmark design.

But JLH already had a big profile at Wireless World,
so it wasn't difficult for him to gild it further with a class A SS
design.

Utter ********. Show evidence of a 'big profile' prior to 1969.

You're just a typical whining aussie who's jealous of a *real*
innovator.

Patrick Turner

wrote:

[...]

The open loop thd of pinky's amp is very high.
But he uses 3 loops to reduce it, EF connection on the buffer input,
current FB in the gain stage, and EF connected outputs,
so a total of perhaps 150 dB of NFB is applied.
Its no use tellin pinky that a single loop of NFB
could have been used which would also render his amp being
non-inverting, like all good amps are.

Its impossible to use bjt with low amounts of NFB, so one may as well
use high levels, and be done with it.
The idea that a low amount of loop or other NFB will be OK with bjts
isn't quite right, because bjt voltage transfer curves are so horrid to begin
with.

I have been surfing the web these last couple of days trying to locate
information on the 1969 JLH design, when I finally found the schematic I
was amazed to see that the basic circuit of JLH's amplifier is essentially
identical to the current source version of my "KISSASS" design. The
difference being that my "KISSASS" design is a true single ended design,
with Tr2 connected as a current source, or replaced by an output
transformer, rather than being driven by the collector of Tr3. This
leaves Tr3 & Tr1 connected as a simple Darlington pair, making it possible
to delete Tr3 if the beta of the remaining transistors is sufficiently
high.

However I don't particularly care for the JLH/"KISSASS" approach because
it depends on negative feedback to make the high inherent distortion more
tolerable.

Don't be too perturbed by the NFB used by JLH.

The alternative is an unlisteable and useless amplifier, since
collector resistance is far higher than the load value, like a pentode's plate
resistance.
And distortion from collector circuits without the emitter follower
NFB connection is truly appalling, although with class A this is limited
to mild odd order at very low levels.

A better idea would be to take a design like your "KISASS",
with its lower inherent distortion, and then apply NFB to reduce the
distortion to even lower levels.

This is the practice now in place for nearly all of today's
SS amps.
They use pinky's idea of 70 dB of local EF NFB in the output stage,
and then apply another 50 dB of global NFB.
thd levels of 0.002% are routine at 200 watts.
Its very hard to measure any thd at 3 watts, even with a low bias current
output stage operating in nearly class B conditions.

But with class A, the total open loop gain used in the circuit can be much
reduced,
since the use of a total of a typical 120 dB of applied NFB is totally
unnecessary, since there is no switching distortions, and
one really only needs a maximum total of applied NFB = 20 dB,
just as one would with a pentode class A amp.

But because the voltage gain with bjt is so extraordinary, and greater than tubes,

since the gm of the bjt is so high, it is so easy to apply 120 dB of sereis
voltage NFB rather than just 20 dB.

Would a bjt amp with a total of 12 dB of NFB sound well?
12dB is the equivalent of the approximate 12 dB within a 300B.

It is a question not immediately answerable.

The objectivists would say that to make sure it won't sound as
bad as a tube we'll use 120 dB of NFB, just to be sure.
This opinion is as bad as a rotten fart because it negates the
subjective experience of music, and negates all listening tests.
The objectivists assume that measured thd between 0.05% and 0.5%
is totally unacceptable. They don't listen.

It seems pinky doesn't even want to build his
own wretched design, and proove what he says is true, nor does he want
to do the hard yards to dispassionately compare the measured and sonic results
without rancour, and without stooping to a ****e smearing campaign.

All roads built by pinky lead to a pointless smear campaign against tubecraft.

Patrick Turner.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/

Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:08:54 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

The open loop thd of pinky's amp is very high.
But he uses 3 loops to reduce it, EF connection on the buffer input,
current FB in the gain stage, and EF connected outputs,
so a total of perhaps 150 dB of NFB is applied.

By what definition are these "loops"? I feel like I've
stepped through a mirror on r.a.t. lately.

Any word can mean anything one wishes it to mean. And
the Red Queen said "Off with her head!"

Is this in the same category of word useage as "internal
feedback in triodes"?

Chris Hornbeck
Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:08:54 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

pinky

And, by the way, this is incredibly childish.

Chris Hornbeck
Phil Allison

"Patrick Turner"

Its no use tellin pinky that a single loop of NFB
could have been used which would also render his amp being
non-inverting, like all good amps are.

** There is no fool like a self taught fool.

The positive feedback is never ending.

.............. Phil

Patrick Turner

wrote:

The open loop thd of pinky's amp is very high.
But he uses 3 loops to reduce it, EF connection on the buffer input,
current FB in the gain stage, and EF connected outputs,
so a total of perhaps 150 dB of NFB is applied.

By what definition are these "loops"? I feel like I've
stepped through a mirror on r.a.t. lately.

Loops of NFB exist even when the loops are local loops,
such as using a follower connection, or unbypassed cathode or emitter
resistor.

Your text books explain it further.

Any word can mean anything one wishes it to mean. And
the Red Queen said "Off with her head!"

I always invite a rehead home for dinner, and be very polite about it
all.

Is this in the same category of word useage as "internal
feedback in triodes"?

All feedback is in some type of loop, including the loop
in a triode.

You need to read the right books.

Books were invented hundreds of years ago, and have been replaced
by dazzling screens, with lots of lettered and numberd buttons in front.
Both books and screens convey BS very well, as well as the truth.
But much basic truth was all written in old books, before screens
replaced them.
Then people made mistakes when they tried to copy the wisdom from books
to screens, mainly because they suddenly became terribly impatient......

Patrick Turner.

Chris Hornbeck

Patrick Turner

wrote:

pinky

And, by the way, this is incredibly childish.

Chris Hornbeck

Oh, should I have used the word "pinko" to nick name pinkerton?
"Pinko" would imply pinky was a communist
and I don't see any evidence just yet that he believes in communism,
which to me means that what's your's is mine, and what's mine is also
mine,
if we were to examine the more brutal communist regimes.

Maybe I should call him "red".
He should be red in the face for the embarrassing stance he takes here
at r.a.t.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner wrote:
Chris Hornbeck wrote:

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:08:54 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

pinky

Oh, I don't think Patrick is being disrespectful. It's just a typo, not
hitting the caps key.

And, by the way, this is incredibly childish.

What the devil are you going on about? Pinkerton is widely known as
Pinky. I looked into it when he first stormed into RAT last year, not
wanting to use a derogatory nickname without good reason. We've since
been given more than sufficient reason.

Chris Hornbeck

Oh, should I have used the word "pinko" to nick name pinkerton?
"Pinko" would imply pinky was a communist
and I don't see any evidence just yet that he believes in communism,

I named him Pinko for his entryist method, devised by Lenin, who surely
was a communist, and widely practised by communists for over 80 years
since the 1890s. They would smarm their way into some group, often
saying they came only to learn. Once they were on the inside, their
true nature would soon out. By then it would be too late for the
original members of the group. The commies would have taken over and
the natives would be in the gulag or kneeling on the rubber mat for the
bullet in the back of the neck.

which to me means that what's your's is mine, and what's mine is also
mine,
if we were to examine the more brutal communist regimes.

Maybe I should call him "red".
He should be red in the face for the embarrassing stance he takes

here
at r.a.t.

Hear, hear. And not to forget social climbing in a pink coat, trying to
buy his way into the mounted classes. Pinko Presumptuous indeed.

Patrick Turner.

Andre Jute

Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

The open loop thd of pinky's amp is very high.
But he uses 3 loops to reduce it, EF connection on the buffer input,
current FB in the gain stage, and EF connected outputs,
so a total of perhaps 150 dB of NFB is applied.

None of these are loops, as you well know, so your argument is bogus.

Its no use tellin pinky that a single loop of NFB
could have been used which would also render his amp being
non-inverting, like all good amps are.

It's no use tellin Turner that many classic hi-fi amps are inverting,
the Quad 405 being but one example. And it's no use tellin Turner that
zero loop feedback is fundamental to KISASS.

Phil Allison

"Stewart Pinkerton"

It's no use tellin Turner that many classic hi-fi amps are inverting,
the Quad 405 being but one example.

** The Quad 405 uses an op-amp gain stage that inverts the signal - while
the "current dumping" power stage is non inverting with a voltage gain of
3.8 times. The early Bose 1800 also used an op-amp inverting buffer .

The Quad 303 is an inverting amp.

............. Phil

" Stewart Pinkerton | Massive Fart - All the rest is Bull**** "

Patrick Turner

wrote:

The open loop thd of pinky's amp is very high.
But he uses 3 loops to reduce it, EF connection on the buffer input,
current FB in the gain stage, and EF connected outputs,
so a total of perhaps 150 dB of NFB is applied.

None of these are loops, as you well know, so your argument is bogus.

The shallow state of your bogus understanding of electronic engineering
is becoming all too apparent.

All applications of FB, current, voltage, series, shunt, positive,
negative;
all involve a loop.
The simplest and most widely understood is the follower connection where
*all* of the output signal is fed back in series with the input voltage.

The device might be an opamp, with a tiny multi bjt amplifier with a chip
arranged like
a simple single transistor emitter follower.

Regardless of the device number, the series voltage feedback
is still applied around a loop, albeit a short on in the case of a single
bjt,
or mosfet, or tube.

Let us consider a power mosfet with a 3 ohm load operating
in SE mode, but in source follower mode.
Let us suppose the open loop gm = 1 amp per volt.
This means that the 1 volt applied between gate and source produces
1 amp of load current so we would get 3volts in the load.
The open loop gain, regardless of how the NFB is applied is 3 / 1 = 3.

When we "close the feedback loop" when we apply FB, and in this case
by choosing the source follower connection, we still need 1v applied
between gate and source
to give a 3v load change, so we must apply 4v to the gate to keep this
"closed lood" condition.
The closed loop gain reduction amount = open loop gain / closed loop gain.

Open loop gain = 3, closed loop gain = 4 / 3 = 1.333

In this case gain reduction = 4 / 1.33 = 3.00.
Amount of applied series voltage NFB = 20 log 3 = 9.54 dB of applied NFB.

The example I give is also described in the text books.

I hope the conventions of engineering terminology become crystal clear to
all,
for they allow us to all focus on the same level of understading, although

I am not sure if pinky could.

Now had one set up the mosfet with the load powered from the drain
instead of the source, the load voltage is inverted with respect to the
gate voltage,
and since the source is grounded, there is no NFB able to be applied
unless we have either a source resistance to get series current NFB,
or we use a shunt resistance network as Nelson Pass uses in his Zen amp.
But at least with the load in the drain circuit we can examine the single
fet's
performance without any NFB present, ie, examine the open loop gain,
and that will be -3, but numerically the same as the source follower case
above.
That is because for -1v input, we get +3v output at the 3 ohm load.

But we also will get perhaps 0.15v of distortion, which is 5%.

Now when we connect the load in the source follower mode,
that 0.15% thd still tries to appear at the load output, but it also
exists
between gate and source, but it is amplified in such a way to reduce its
own production.
It can't be completely cancelled away by NFB, but from out
calculation of gain reduction above,
we can also deduce that the reduction of "closed loop thd"
will be the same as the gain reduction, ie, 3 times, or by 9.54 dB,
so with source follower, the thd is 0.15v/3 = 0.05v = 1.66%,
which is better than no reduction of thd at all.
But of course if the thd was all 2H to start with in the open loop
voltage, we'd see a small
but significant amount of 3H in the output with the loop closed
where there was none in the open loop to begin with.
This is because the amount of NFB applied is low, only 9.5 dB, and amount
of thd high, 5%. and the 3H appears due to the intermodulation process
for which an explantion now is not part of my brief.

Now it matters not what sort of amp you have, but if you did have open
loop
2H = 5%, and you applied 9.5 dB of NFB, the same predictable and
calculatable
1.66% of 2H would appear, regardless of whether you have an amp with an
open loop gain of
6, like many tube amps, complete with 3 stages and an output tranny, and
you reduced that 3 times to 2,
or whether you have a mosfet in source follower mode where the open loop
is also reduced 3 times.

Pinky said he wanted to avoid the magic of the 300B.
We will of course let him.

But there is no technical magic in the follower connection.
The follower connection obeys the same rules of physics as
any other application of series voltage NFB application.

In the case of his rather illconcieved SS amp,
he has the output transistors in PP class A and in emitter follower with
an open loop gain claimed to be around 3,000 which is reduce to just under
1.0
since it only takes 0.00033 volts applied between the base and emitter to
produce
1v of rated value load change.
70 dB of series voltage NFB is being applied.

Pinky says this somehow differs from loop FB, which in his mind means
NFB applied around *more* than one device in cascade.
But an engineer would not make such a distinction at all,
although he would say that the stable bandwidth of a multi stage amp with
70 dB of series voltage NFB will be less because of the miller effects
in the multistage amp.
An engineer working with amps operating at GHz would have more to say
about L and C effects.

I hope it becomes clear to all that my argument is not bogus,
as pinky suggests.

If one uses a single tube for a cathode follower, and a gain
reduction due to the FB was sat 10 times, or 20 dB,
then it is the same as having a multi stage amp and applying 20 dB of NFB,

as in a Williamson.
However, the multi stage amp will have open loop
distortions of all the stages, and the distortion of the early stages
will be distorted by the following stages, and these artifacts are called
second order artifacts, and are not present in a simple one device
when connected as a follower.
NFB applied around several stages is usually called global NFB,
and usually it is series voltage NFB, because it allows an amp
to be non inverting, ie, the output phase is the same as the input phase.
With tube amps, there it is good practice to make the driver amp with
as litle thd as possible, so that there are astonishingly low amounts of
second order products produced when global NFB is applied around
the several stages and including the OPT.
Therefore such an amp acts very closely to
a perfect voltage amp applied to a cathode follower output stage.
CF tube output stages are rarely done because it means applying
say 240 vrms to each output tube grid to get say 220 vrms at each end
of the PP output tranny.

With a bjt amp, we may only want 20 vrms at the output, and its not
impossible to make just over 20v at low thd to apply to to an emitter
follower
base circuit.
But with most bjt amps, this drive voltage is not produced very linearly
unless another lot of NFB is applied globally, or in the case of pink's
amp, locally
in the form of a boot full of series current NFB.
Its a short loop of NFB, but is still loop NFB.

Its no use tellin pinky that a single loop of NFB
could have been used which would also render his amp being
non-inverting, like all good amps are.

It's no use tellin Turner that many classic hi-fi amps are inverting,
the Quad 405 being but one example. And it's no use tellin Turner that
zero loop feedback is fundamental to KISASS.

Most amps I have ever worked on are non inverting.

Its not a problem to me, but to many folks an inverting power
amp is just not right.
I routinely use a single triode for a preamp, and of course the
signal is inverted.

The detectability of inverted signals isn't all that great.
But if a source signal does have significant even order harmonics,
then the phase of those harmonics may either cancel or reinforce
those in the amp chain or the speakers.

As I explained above, loop FB includes short loops.
Global loop FB usually means a loop around several stages, such as in
Williamson's
amp, and the not so wonderful JLH replacement.
As I recall, JLH didn't want to have to build another identical tube amp
to make two channels for stereo, and took the lazy man's avenue,
and went all solid state.
It explains why there are so many old single tube monoblock amps around.

Patrick Turner.

Chris Morriss

In message , Patrick Turner
writes

The detectability of inverted signals isn't all that great.
But if a source signal does have significant even order harmonics,
then the phase of those harmonics may either cancel or reinforce
those in the amp chain or the speakers.

Dear God, how much more nonsense do we have to put up with from this
man?

I do not believe that even PT really believes this!
--
Chris Morriss