Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Regats Regats is offline

Default Difference between Genalex KT88 and Genalex Gold Lion KT88 ?

What is the difference between original production Genalex KT88 tubes and
original Gold Lions? - The ones made by GEC - Not interested in reissues.

Also, there are different architectures of Genalex KT88's; dual side / dual
top getters,
dual side / single top, dual top... is one considered superior and more
valuable?
Is the Gold Lion version one particular getter arrangement or did they also
come in different styles.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

More to the point no one gives a **** because there are no useable stocks
left. Unless you can get the original production prints with a view to
building more, it's utterly otiose.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.tubes/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Regats Regats is offline

Perhaps, Mr. Ludwig, I'm asking because _I_ give a ****
I have four Genalex KT-88's on eBay. I had mislabeled them as Gold Lions
and someone emailed me that these were not GL's just Genalex -
(He gave a **** too, apparently - enough to let me know I made a mistake)
so I was curious what the difference was.

However, if YOU don't give a ****, please don't post an insulting and
mindless
response when you haven't got a clue - that's utterly odious.

R --

==========

"BretLudwig" wrote in message
lkaboutaudio.com...
More to the point no one gives a **** because there are no useable stocks
left. Unless you can get the original production prints with a view to
building more, it's utterly otiose.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Jul 11, 12:25*am, "Regats" wrote:
Perhaps, Mr. Ludwig, I'm asking because _I_ give a ****
I have four Genalex KT-88's on eBay. I had mislabeled them as Gold Lions
and someone emailed me that these were not GL's just Genalex -
(He gave a **** too, apparently - enough to let me know I made a mistake)
so I was curious what the difference was.

Without being snitty - the difference is pretty much that which is
between several grades and types of apple, wine, potato, vehicle,
gasoline, whatever. The GEC KT88 tubes are considered worthwhile
tubes, all of them. Those that are "Gold Lion" are very clearly
labeled as such and are entirely unmistakable - the Lion Rampant is
kinda-sorta hard to miss. So, and as this is an eBay issue, the only
thing anyone could imagine is that you were making your mislabeling
mistake deliberately, at which point the internal build-differences
are no longer at issue.

You made a mistake that is the functional equivalent of labeling a
Ford F-150 pick-up truck as if it were a Taurus. Or a Red wine as a
white. Or a Granny Smith as a Macintosh.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Regats" wrote in message

What is the difference between original production
Genalex KT88 tubes and original Gold Lions? - The ones
made by GEC - Not interested in reissues.
Also, there are different architectures of Genalex
KT88's; dual side / dual top getters,
dual side / single top, dual top... is one considered
superior and more valuable?
Is the Gold Lion version one particular getter
arrangement or did they also come in different styles.

The Gold Lion tubes were a premium tube that in the day, was sold for a
higher price, came in fancier packaging, etc.

I worked in a store that stocked them and we did not find them to be a big
seller. I presume that their margins were higher.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jul 11, 7:19*am, François Yves Le Gal wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 15:13:11 GMT, "Regats" wrote:
What is the difference between original production Genalex KT88 tubes and
original Gold Lions?

None whatsoever when it comes to the actual tubes. The Gold Lion line
targeted consumers, with fancy glitzy packaging *and a test sheet. The
Genalex was a plain industrial version.

Now, now....

Different printing on the tubes....

And one can hear that, for sure, correct?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:
What is the difference between original production
Genalex KT88 tubes and original Gold Lions?

None whatsoever when it comes to the actual tubes. The
Gold Lion line targeted consumers, with fancy glitzy
packaging and a test sheet. The Genalex was a plain
industrial version.

Now, now....

Different printing on the tubes....

And one can hear that, for sure, correct?

Easy to do, with a sighted evaluation. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Regats" wrote in message

What is the difference between original production Genalex KT88 tubes and
original Gold Lions? - The ones made by GEC - Not interested in
reissues.
Also, there are different architectures of Genalex KT88's; dual side /
dual top getters,
dual side / single top, dual top... is one considered superior and more
valuable?
Is the Gold Lion version one particular getter arrangement or did they
also
come in different styles.
Thanks.

Many ppl here would not have had an amp which may have used KT88.
Most might have used 6550, 6L6, EL34, 6V6, EL84.

Anyway, I sure have never heard original Genalex KT88,
but I know a guy in Sydney who knew them well and thought their supposed
superiority
was a myth.

I tend to agree with him that audiophiles cling to many myths
for which there is no logic and definately no technological basis, and
because you cannot easily
carry our an AB test to see if there really is something special about
a type of tube which now is virtually Unobtanium,
then the Genalec goodness factor remains a mystery.

The whole arrangement of the circuit and choices of driver tubes
and the operation mode and feedback used and many factors would have
just as big
or bigger effect on the sound quality as the selection of output tubes.

So the sound you get depends on the amp designer and who built it, and
the speakers it drives
and the preamp and a whole bunch of things and the room.

Gettering is gettering, and it doesn't affect the sound
unless the vacuum goes soft. But while its a hard vacuum,
the sound possible might be optimal
if all the many other factors are optimised, and just what they all are
does not always draw together an agreeable crowd of blokes, OK.

Today, tubes are so cheap in real terms that audiophiles think nothing
of changeing all the tubes well before they are worn out.
So you never know how the russian ones are going to last, because nobody
keeps them long enough in the one amp.

But lemme tellya, many NOS tubes made in 1960 that audiophiles I know
have purchased
didn't last long or got gassy too soon, and don't seem superior to
things made by Sovtek.
Some NOS sound better, some not so hot.

Audiophiles like to see themselves doing something about
improving their sound quality.
Few actually compare a new amp to an old one before they sell and old
one (2 years old),
and make sure the new one is a step up.
Its possible that many can make their sound worse, not better,
and they travel around in circles over the years.
Audiophile routinely make terrible technical mistakes which affect their
judgements about the sound.

When I began designing amps and speakers I made sure the next was better
than the previous.

I still carry our AB tests to try to find a difference that's worth
remembering.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
GerryE123 GerryE123 is offline

"Regats" wrote in message
news3udk.1250$bn3.187@trnddc07...
So - nobody knows - or is there simply no difference except the name?

There really is no difference between the Gold Lion, Gold Monarch, Genalex
and GEC branded KT88s. OTOH, when it was made, does have some significance.
The earliest single top getter version is more rare and is considered more
desirable/valuable.

The single getter version also falls into the category of "the older the
better". While this is not always true, there is some truth to it. The
older ones from 1950s thru 1960s physically look to be better made. Once
you get to the mid-1970s black base version, they don't appear to be as well
made and they very well may have been made in China as many people say. The
1950s and 60s ones all have brown bases.

The Gold Lion version was strictly a marketing ploy. Fancy red label, fancy
box and bogus test report. Bogus in the sense that it's NOT an individual
test report. If you read it carefully, you find out that the printed test
results are a "representative sample". I have seen a few from different
sources and they were all the same. I wonder if they ever printed a
different one?

In summary, if the ones you were selling have brown bases that's the most
important thing. Later black base are less desirable and single top getter
more desirable.

Gerry

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] lafolia1@gmail.com is offline

On Jul 8, 8:13*am, "Regats" wrote:
What is the difference between original production Genalex KT88 tubes and
original Gold Lions? *- *The ones made by GEC - Not interested in reissues.

Also, there are different architectures of Genalex KT88's; dual side / dual
top getters,
dual side / single top, dual top... is one considered superior and more
valuable?
Is the Gold Lion version one particular getter arrangement or did they also
come in different styles.

Thanks.

No difference at all. Same tubes, same sound, thought some crazy
tubephile types will claim the GL or GL sound better.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] imatoad@gmail.com is offline

I have a quad set of original KT 88 golden lions in my two layfette mono block power Amps. I recently purchase the newer KT 88's and there is no comparison. The originals are better in every respect. Greater frequency ranges, louder much more high end and more musical treble. The reissues are harsher sounding
Marcus