Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Default Amps with digital input

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

Does anyone do amplifiers with direct digital inputs?
Ideally in the 500-1kW range.

Thinking of using Powersoft, but they seem to do a A/D first.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

Thinking of using Powersoft, but they seem to do a A/D first.

I don't see any way to do it without doing an A/D first, unless you
go the PWM Class D route, which is an ugly thing.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

Thinking of using Powersoft, but they seem to do a A/D first.

I don't see any way to do it without doing an A/D first, unless you
go the PWM Class D route, which is an ugly thing.
--scott

But there must be a way of doing (say) SPDIF to class D via DSP without an
analogue stage?

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 02:15:01 +0000, Dirk Bruere at Neopax
wrote:

But there must be a way of doing (say) SPDIF to class D via DSP without an
analogue stage?

Check out the BOZ and TacT amps. Made for stereo and HT applications
but they take S/PDIF inputs.
http://www.bozaudio.com/

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

wrote:

But there must be a way of doing (say) SPDIF to class D via DSP without an
analogue stage?

Check out the BOZ and TacT amps. Made for stereo and HT applications
but they take S/PDIF inputs.
http://www.bozaudio.com/

Powersoft are going to clean up when they do their version, given these prices.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 03:19:31 +0000, Dirk Bruere at Neopax
wrote:

Powersoft are going to clean up when they do their version, given these prices.

Mebbe, mebbe not. I don't think the BOZ/TacT products are burning up
the market.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

wrote:

Powersoft are going to clean up when they do their version, given these prices.

Mebbe, mebbe not. I don't think the BOZ/TacT products are burning up
the market.

At around $4000 a piece I expect not.
Powersoft can do a 1kW amp with digital input for around $400.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

wrote:

Powersoft are going to clean up when they do their version, given
these prices.

Mebbe, mebbe not. I don't think the BOZ/TacT products are burning up
the market.

At around $4000 a piece I expect not.
Powersoft can do a 1kW amp with digital input for around $400.

Opps - analogue input, converted to digital at 24bit 96kHz.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson

wrote:

Powersoft are going to clean up when they do their version, given these prices.

Mebbe, mebbe not. I don't think the BOZ/TacT products are burning up
the market.

At around $4000 a piece I expect not.
Powersoft can do a 1kW amp with digital input for around $400.

But, even in the $4K range, they are not going like hotcakes.
Besides, in the boutique market, $4k is not a real deterrent. The
analog-input amps in my main room, at the moment, run from $2K to
$13K.

OTOH, I'd love a choice of digital-input power amps to hang on to the
digital outputs of my Meridian preamp/processor.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

Thinking of using Powersoft, but they seem to do a A/D first.

I don't see any way to do it without doing an A/D first, unless you
go the PWM Class D route, which is an ugly thing.
--scott

But there must be a way of doing (say) SPDIF to class D via DSP without an
analogue stage?

I think TI have some driver chips that take a DSP signal directly.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

wrote:

Powersoft are going to clean up when they do their version, given these prices.

Mebbe, mebbe not. I don't think the BOZ/TacT products are burning up
the market.

At around $4000 a piece I expect not.
Powersoft can do a 1kW amp with digital input for around $400.

The THD performance of the powersoft amps isn't that great. Always room for better.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey

wrote:

Powersoft are going to clean up when they do their version, given these prices.

Mebbe, mebbe not. I don't think the BOZ/TacT products are burning up
the market.

At around $4000 a piece I expect not.
Powersoft can do a 1kW amp with digital input for around $400.

Yes, but will it sound any good? I am not a fan of any of the class D
stuff so far, but I'm willing to listen.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Harry Lavo

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

wrote:

Powersoft are going to clean up when they do their version, given these
prices.

Mebbe, mebbe not. I don't think the BOZ/TacT products are burning up
the market.

At around $4000 a piece I expect not.
Powersoft can do a 1kW amp with digital input for around $400.

Yes, but will it sound any good? I am not a fan of any of the class D
stuff so far, but I'm willing to listen.
--scott

The Outlaw Audio 200wpc monoblocks switch from conventional ps to digital
switching above 60wpc, and sound high-end and effortless at all volumes I
can stand to listen to (have them in an all-Thiel-full-range) 5.0 system..
But except on orchestral peaks and perhaps my Al Jarreau SACD which reaches
into the 35hz range with plenty of power, I may not be pushing them above
the 60w range. Don't have the details in front of me, but given your
interest in technology you might want to look into what they are doing..

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:38:57 -0500, "Harry Lavo"
wrote:

The Outlaw Audio 200wpc monoblocks switch from conventional ps to digital
switching above 60wpc, and sound high-end and effortless at all volumes I
can stand to listen to (have them in an all-Thiel-full-range) 5.0 system..

That hardly makes them digital amps and certainly not suitable for a
digital input.

Kal
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Harry Lavo

wrote:

The Outlaw Audio 200wpc monoblocks switch from conventional ps to digital
switching above 60wpc, and sound high-end and effortless at all volumes I
can stand to listen to (have them in an all-Thiel-full-range) 5.0 system..

That hardly makes them digital amps and certainly not suitable for a
digital input.

Sorry, thought Scott was referring to digital-switching power supply amps.
My bad.

Harry

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey

Harry Lavo wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Yes, but will it sound any good? I am not a fan of any of the class D
stuff so far, but I'm willing to listen.

The Outlaw Audio 200wpc monoblocks switch from conventional ps to digital
switching above 60wpc, and sound high-end and effortless at all volumes I
can stand to listen to (have them in an all-Thiel-full-range) 5.0 system..

Yes, but they aren't class D. They're just a conventional analogue
amplifier with a switching supply.

I'm not a fan of switching supplies either, but that's a somewhat less
hazardous kettle of fish.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Ben Bradley

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 06:12:34 +0000, Pooh Bear
wrote:

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

Thinking of using Powersoft, but they seem to do a A/D first.

I don't see any way to do it without doing an A/D first, unless you
go the PWM Class D route, which is an ugly thing.
--scott

But there must be a way of doing (say) SPDIF to class D via DSP without an
analogue stage?

I think TI have some driver chips that take a DSP signal directly.

What's a "DSP signal?" Do you mean SPDIF? And while I'm posting,
what chips are these?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

wrote:

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

Thinking of using Powersoft, but they seem to do a A/D first.

I don't see any way to do it without doing an A/D first, unless you
go the PWM Class D route, which is an ugly thing.
--scott

But there must be a way of doing (say) SPDIF to class D via DSP without an
analogue stage?

I think TI have some driver chips that take a DSP signal directly.

What's a "DSP signal?" Do you mean SPDIF? And while I'm posting,
what chips are these?

I forget offhand if it takes spdif or I2S ( adc output )

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folder...t/tas5086.html

Graham