Jack Edin

Default Fix it or leave it original?

Hello,

The vinyl on the powercord is aged, brittle, and cracking.

It is 18ga lamp cord in brown. Nothing special...

The device is a 1950's vintage AM/FM mono Tuner, by Fisher.

Since it has tubes, and you guys are the tube dudes...

This seemed like as good a place as any to ask my question:

I'm selling it on eBay, and I'm wondering if I should have replaced the
cord prior to listing...

Or...

Leave it alone. Let the buyer refurbish their own stuff.

I'm a skilled technician and could do the job nicely. As such I offer
this service to the buyer, in the auction... for a fee.

Anybody know what a collector of vintage tube audio equipment might prefer?

It is too late for me, this time, as I listed it a couple days ago.

Just curious to see if I did it wrong.

Item #: 5748192217
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Thanks!

Jack

ptaylor

Jack Edin wrote:
[...]

Well,it's gonna need to be replaced either way,Ask the buyer if they
would like you to do it,or if they have the experience to do this safely
themself,if not,do it for them *before* they plug it in and discover the
cord is shot,in some exciting show of sparks. ;-)
Ian Iveson

"Jack Edin" wrote

I'm selling it on eBay, and I'm wondering if I should have
replaced the cord prior to listing...

Or...

Leave it alone. Let the buyer refurbish their own stuff.

If you have the right wire you could fit it and send the old lead as
well. Or vice-versa.

I have long been bemused by the expression "original condition".
Originally, everything was new. "Working order" implies safe, to my
mind. The most important thing is a correct description.

We are not generally collectors here. Most of us are users and many
are techs and/or constructors. Probably most would want you to
supply as is, with length of new cable to fit as we wish.

A collector would probably want the same. A naive user (unlikely
IMO) would want the new cable fitted.

cheers, Ian

audio_origami

i have the sma e problem with my old kerr mc cosh mono vavle amps comming up
for sale
i decided to take the plunge and make then safe ...by renewing the mains
leads...and some of the older caps .,..(they where leaking)
i couldnt sleep with the thoght some1 getting a shock....heheh and not with
the price

best wishes
j7
www.audioorigami.co.uk
The home of tone arm repairs

I don't know about that Ian, I'm BOTH a collector and user, and I've
gone through very painful tasks of reverting modified tube-type hi-fi's
and ham radio gear back to stock.

C.W.