Jonny Durango

I'm not familiar with Audition, but somewhere in Audition or on your
soundcard's software you should be able to set it up to "Direct Monitor" the
incoming signal....which basically means it routes the input of your
soundcard directly back to the output before it goes off to the comp....look
for audio setup, or ASIO setup or something along those lines. Good luck!

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I just wanted some advice on monitoring an input signal when recording.
My setup is:
INPUT: Guitar - Tascam US-122 - (USB) - Adobe Audition 1.5
OUTPUT: Adobe Audition 1.5 - Soundcard - Headphones

I had (naively?) expected to be able to monitor the input signal being
recorded with the headphones in the above setup. However when
recording, I can hear the previously recorded tracks but not the new
one I'm recording.

Do I just need to configure Audition to play the recorded signal? Or am
I asking the impossible?

If the latter, is the correct approach to buy a mixer and mix the
soundcard output with the direct monitoring output of the Tascam?

Thanks for your help,
Jeste.

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Thanks for the response. However, using the direct monitor of the
US-122 will mean that I can only hear the signal being recorded. I
really would like to hear a mix of the signal being recorded and the
previously recorded tracks.

Nope, this is exactly what's so nifty about the US-122. There's a
built-in mixer that mixes the direct input signal with a stereo mix
coming back from your computer. You need to set your DAW program up so
that you have a mix of the recorded tracks, and assign that mix to the
US-122 output. When working like this, you need to be sure that the
track that you're recording is muted in the computer mix so you don't
hear it twice, once through the direct path and once through the
computer's mixer.

I understand that I can buy a mixer and mix the soundcard output with
the Direct Monitor output to get what I want

You've already got one in the US-122.

I reviewed the US-122 in the December 2003 issue of Recording
Magazine. It's not on line, but you might want to invest $5 in the
back issue and read my review. I drew a block diagram (TASCAM doesn't
publish one) that shows how this monitoring works, and explained it in
more detail than I want to in a newsgroup.

Check
http://www.recordingmag.com

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )