---MIKE---

Default The ultimate tweak

I have stated before that the ultimate tweak is -- TIME. Last night my
system sounded awful!. It was so bad that I gave up and went to bed.
It sounded shrill and favored the left channel. Today, it sounds fine.
Nothing was changed. Maybe it was the 2 ounces of red wine I had with
supper. Maybe I blew my nose too hard. Maybe I was just tired. At any
rate, I'm glad I wasn't trying some new cables (or anything new) because
I would have gotten an incorrect impression.

---MIKE---
Gene Poon

---MIKE--- wrote:

I have stated before that the ultimate tweak is -- TIME. Last night my
system sounded awful!. It was so bad that I gave up and went to bed.
It sounded shrill and favored the left channel. Today, it sounds fine.
Nothing was changed. Maybe it was the 2 ounces of red wine I had with
supper. Maybe I blew my nose too hard. Maybe I was just tired. At any
rate, I'm glad I wasn't trying some new cables (or anything new) because
I would have gotten an incorrect impression.

=============================

Makes me wonder if the optimum use of such tweaks as the VPI Magic Brick
would be to let it fall on the listener's head.

-GP
Harry Lavo

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I have stated before that the ultimate tweak is -- TIME. Last night my
system sounded awful!. It was so bad that I gave up and went to bed.
It sounded shrill and favored the left channel. Today, it sounds fine.
Nothing was changed. Maybe it was the 2 ounces of red wine I had with
supper. Maybe I blew my nose too hard. Maybe I was just tired. At any
rate, I'm glad I wasn't trying some new cables (or anything new) because
I would have gotten an incorrect impression.

Age has some benefit. I have found after 50 years of audiophil-ing never to
work on the system other than the morning or early afternoon. Tiredness and
the confusions of the day can create all kinds of variations.

"Makes me wonder if the optimum use of such tweaks as the VPI Magic Brick
would be to let it fall on the listener's head.

-GP

I find they work quite well on my subwoofer. No doubt they are reducing
the
vibrations of the top part of the cabinet. In my case this does matter.
They
look better than conventional bricks too."

Use your sub as an equipment rack then, or wrap some bricks in foil.
Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...
"Makes me wonder if the optimum use of such tweaks as the VPI Magic Brick
would be to let it fall on the listener's head.

-GP

I find they work quite well on my subwoofer. No doubt they are reducing
the
vibrations of the top part of the cabinet. In my case this does matter.
They
look better than conventional bricks too."

Use your sub as an equipment rack then, or wrap some bricks in foil.

Leave the guy alone. He's told you why he uses them; it is a perfectly
legitimate reason if he prefers their looks over a brick wrapped in foil. A
perfect example of the underlying premise of many objectivists
here...despite all the disclaimers that we are perfectly free to do what we
prefer.
Gary Eickmeier

---MIKE--- wrote:
I have stated before that the ultimate tweak is -- TIME. Last night my
system sounded awful!. It was so bad that I gave up and went to bed.
It sounded shrill and favored the left channel. Today, it sounds fine.
Nothing was changed. Maybe it was the 2 ounces of red wine I had with
supper. Maybe I blew my nose too hard. Maybe I was just tired. At any
rate, I'm glad I wasn't trying some new cables (or anything new) because
I would have gotten an incorrect impression.

Your description of your experience, especially the channel balance
difference, makes me suspect your hearing as the primary cause. The
eustachian tubes can cause pressure differences, wax in the ears can
change, atmospheric pressure can influence your clearing of your ears,
etc etc. Maybe could throw in noise factors and your recovery from them.
I am not a physician - just my experience.

Gary Eickmeier
---MIKE---

I clean the wax from my ears about twice a year (using Debrox and a bulb
with warm water). I also am very careful to always wear ear protection
whenever I use any power equipment. The incident I was referring to
only occurred that one time (recently) although it has happened at other
times in the past. I know my hearing was better in years gone by (I am
75) but I can still hear 10kHz (I have a signal generator that I checked
it with).

---MIKE---