Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Default DAW compression question

Within plug-ins, would it be better to run a signal through two layers
of a plug ins at say 2:1 each then to run it through on at 4:1 (did I
write that ratio backwards...)
It always sounds better to me with hardware to do it that way so I had
to ask.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sid Marx Sid Marx is offline

Default dummy T and The Delusions

"Danny T" wrote in message
Within plug-ins, would it be better to run a signal through two layers
of a plug ins at say 2:1 each then to run it through on at 4:1 (did I
write that ratio backwards...)

Wont make a jot of difference to a braindead ****wit like you, dummy T.

Now just for ****s and giggles, tell us again how The President Of The
United States was a CIA operative in Afghanistan, you delusional piece of
****

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danny T wrote:
Within plug-ins, would it be better to run a signal through two layers
of a plug ins at say 2:1 each then to run it through on at 4:1 (did I
write that ratio backwards...)
It always sounds better to me with hardware to do it that way so I had
to ask.

Depends on the plugins. They are not created equal. And if the attack
time of the first one is fast enough, the second one may have no effect
at all.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sid Marx Sid Marx is offline

"Danny T" wrote in message

Within plug-ins, would it be better to run a signal through two layers
of a plug ins at say 2:1 each then to run it through on at 4:1 (did I
write that ratio backwards...)

Wont make a jot of difference to a braindead ****wit like you, dummy T.

Now just for ****s and giggles, tell us again how The President Of The
United States was a CIA operative in Afghanistan, you delusional piece of
****

Well danny, wheres the evidence for your wigged out claim?

LOL!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Apr 30, 7:10*pm, Les Cargill wrote:
Danny T wrote:
Within plug-ins, would it be better to run a signal through two layers
of a plug ins at say 2:1 each then to run it through on at 4:1 (did I
write that ratio backwards...)
It always sounds better to me with hardware to do it that way so I had
to ask.

Depends on the plugins. They are not created equal. And if the attack
time of the first one is fast enough, the second one may have no effect
at all.

--
Les Cargill

I stopped buying the packaged high price ones. I have the Native
Bundle, Prosoniq and PSP but none of my others still work on snow
leopard. Those are on the fringe of working and probably won't soon
when I go up .x or whatever they do next. The Cubase 5 plugs though
are good enough for me so I really don't need anything else anymore.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danny T wrote:
On Apr 30, 7:10 pm, Les wrote:
Danny T wrote:
Within plug-ins, would it be better to run a signal through two layers
of a plug ins at say 2:1 each then to run it through on at 4:1 (did I
write that ratio backwards...)
It always sounds better to me with hardware to do it that way so I had
to ask.

Depends on the plugins. They are not created equal. And if the attack
time of the first one is fast enough, the second one may have no effect
at all.

--
Les Cargill

I stopped buying the packaged high price ones.

I never bought them to start with. They all signaled the
lack of value in the demo regimes.

I think the height of my skepticism was when I read
that people were modeling compression plugins based on
circuit board analysis of the old favored units -
essentially trying to SPICE model old opto compressors
in plugin form at large.

I don't figger you can do that.

I have the Native
Bundle, Prosoniq and PSP but none of my others still work on snow
leopard.

Apple apparently considers leaving you stranded a part of the business
model. Pity. Hie thee to a PC with Reaper forthwith.

Those are on the fringe of working and probably won't soon
when I go up .x or whatever they do next. The Cubase 5 plugs though
are good enough for me so I really don't need anything else anymore.

Essentially, I stopped using compression except for the old N-track
Compressor ( which I bloody well paid my $29 for ) and only use it
*as* a pump monster. It's perfect for that. I've measured it; it
does pretty much exactly what the controls say it will.

You have 96 dB bandwidth (at minimum); you don't need a compresor,
yadda yadda.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Les Cargill wrote:

Danny T wrote:
On Apr 30, 7:10 pm, Les wrote:
Danny T wrote:
[...]

Is Apple supposed to be updating Prosoniq and PSP software? Does anybody
have to upgrade to Snow Leopard just to do audio and the Web?

I'm not running Snow Leopard yet because I don't have time to go around
finding out what will work and what won't, yet. Hell, I only went from
OS 10.3.9 to 10.5 because my old machine died, after nearly seven years
of productive use.

I sitck with the plugs that come with whatever version of Logic I'm
running, plus Metric Halo's Channel Strip. Went from Logic Pro 6.4.2 to
Logic Studio 9, pretty much without hassle, to my surprise.

Those are on the fringe of working and probably won't soon
when I go up .x or whatever they do next. The Cubase 5 plugs though
are good enough for me so I really don't need anything else anymore.

Essentially, I stopped using compression except for the old N-track
Compressor ( which I bloody well paid my $29 for ) and only use it
*as* a pump monster. It's perfect for that. I've measured it; it
does pretty much exactly what the controls say it will.

You have 96 dB bandwidth (at minimum); you don't need a compresor,
yadda yadda.

--
Les Cargill

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
http://hankalrich.com/
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hsadharma
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Danny T wrote:
Within plug-ins, would it be better to run a signal through two layers
of a plug ins at say 2:1 each then to run it through on at 4:1 (did I
write that ratio backwards...)
It always sounds better to me with hardware to do it that way so I had
to ask.

Kinda depends what compression plugin you are using I guess. A true case od
'suck it and see" .

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Apr 30, 9:59*pm, (hank alrich) wrote:
Les Cargill wrote:
Danny T wrote:
On Apr 30, 7:10 pm, Les *wrote:
Danny T wrote:
[...]

Stay away from snow leopard if you can. I have had trouble with it
ever since I installed it. There are some very bad issues that no-one
even talks about but the worst is that time machine will not let you
restore to snow leopard, that which was created in 20.5. I found that
out the hard way, You can go in and grab individual folders but what a
pain that was when I lost a bunch of stuff.

I would still be using OS9 if my old computer hadn't died on me. I am
a fan of mac but I feel they may have put their resources toward their
newer product line rather then for support on their other base.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Apr 30, 10:45*pm, "geoff" wrote:
Danny T wrote:
Within plug-ins, would it be better to run a signal through two layers
of a plug ins at say 2:1 each then to run it through on at 4:1 (did I
write that ratio backwards...)
It always sounds better to me with hardware to do it that way so I had
to ask.

Kinda depends what compression plugin you are using I guess. *A true case od
'suck it and see" .

geoff

It's hard to tell the full impact of what I do in my room right now
because is isn't a properly put together studio. In other words, what
I should be hearing is taken on faith. I track, mix and hope... then
check it elsewhere to see if it still sounds OK. In fact, I have a
room in my home dressed to pretend to be a studio. I have actually
found, though, that my short comings are blessings. I found a church
to track in that sounds so good that I want to redo all I have
recently done there... Lets hope their offer stands when I call them
back :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"Les Cargill" wrote in message
I think the height of my skepticism was when I read
that people were modeling compression plugins based on
circuit board analysis of the old favored units -
essentially trying to SPICE model old opto compressors
in plugin form at large.

I don't figger you can do that.

I had a chance to play with the ones that UA were producing for their DSP
card. The 1176 plugin sounded nice, but it was still a world away from a
real 1176 to my ears. And this wasn't a vintage unit, it was fresh off the
shelf from guitar center.

Hie thee to a PC with Reaper forthwith.

Seconded.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On May 1, 11:13*am, "Sean Conolly" wrote:
"Les Cargill" wrote in message

I think the height *of my skepticism was when I read
that people were modeling compression plugins based on
circuit board analysis of the old favored units -
essentially trying to SPICE model old opto compressors
in plugin form at large.

I don't figger you can do that.

I had a chance to play with the ones that UA were producing for their DSP
card. The 1176 plugin sounded nice, but it was still a world away from a
real 1176 to my ears. And this wasn't a vintage unit, it was fresh off the
shelf from guitar center.

Hie thee to a PC with Reaper forthwith.

Seconded.

Sean

I can never defect. Hell, I was the one that wrote the mac creed :-)

I believe in Steve Jobs, the Father of Apple, the Creator of Apple
and Mac, and in Mac OS, His only Son, our Operating System:
Who was conceived of Holy Digits, born of the Jobs, suffered under
Bill Gates, was crucified but never died or buried.
He descended into hell.
The third day He arose again with iPod.
He ascended into heaven and his mouse sits at the right hand of
Artists Almighty, whence He shall come to judge the Nerds and the PSP
Users.
I believe in the Binary System, Firewire, the networking of
computers, the forgiveness of PeeCees, the resurrection of Classic
Rock, and life everlasting.
Amen.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danny T wrote:
On May 1, 11:13 am, "Sean wrote:
"Les wrote in message

[...]

Heh.

No, really:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2010/04/why-steve-jobs-hates-flash.html

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On May 1, 2:40*pm, Les Cargill wrote:
Danny T wrote:
On May 1, 11:13 am, "Sean *wrote:
"Les *wrote in message

[...]

Oh HELL no I won't ever trust my files to an online storage device and
computing is going to stay within my control or I'll break out the
paper and go back to dark ages!

I've read all that back in the 90's when my brother started getting
involved thinking he'd be on the cutting edge. I've had a long time to
debate it and come to the conclusion that people don't trust each
other enough to ever put their files out in someone else's hands.

I think the real problem with the future of computers is that we all
have them already and people aren't falling for the upgrade tactics
like they use to. I'd still be using a G4 and doing it happily if they
thing would stay working like other things you'd normally buy.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danny T wrote:
On May 1, 2:40 pm, Les wrote:
Danny T wrote:
On May 1, 11:13 am, "Sean wrote:
"Les wrote in message

[...]

I don't think you can *blame* Jobs - he's just trying to
stay in a business model. But it's not a business model
that appeals to me. Machrone's Law used to be "the computer
you want costs $3000". Now it can be a tenth that.

I've read all that back in the 90's when my brother started getting
involved thinking he'd be on the cutting edge. I've had a long time to
debate it and come to the conclusion that people don't trust each
other enough to ever put their files out in someone else's hands.

I agree - although it's not that hard to put a server in a closet and
have it remotely accessible.

I think the real problem with the future of computers is that we all
have them already and people aren't falling for the upgrade tactics
like they use to. I'd still be using a G4 and doing it happily if they
thing would stay working like other things you'd normally buy.

I've never actually had a computer fail. My P100 lasted .... a long
time. Close to eight years. And I've always bought inexpensive models.
You just have to research what motherboard it is you want and find a
box store model that has it.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On May 1, 4:22*pm, Les Cargill wrote:
Danny T wrote:
On May 1, 2:40 pm, Les *wrote:
Danny T wrote:
On May 1, 11:13 am, "Sean * *wrote:
"Les * *wrote in message

[...]

I've never had a computer fail outright but when parts start singing
out of tune I just buy a new one :-)

Pro Tools compression question Randy[_2_] Pro Audio 6 March 20th 09 06:24 AM
Compression question [email protected] Pro Audio 10 March 5th 07 03:21 PM
Compression Question mcp6453 Pro Audio 3 June 5th 05 08:51 PM
A question about compression Schizoid Man Audio Opinions 5 December 8th 04 06:06 AM
Newbie question about how to use compression... Sock Puppet #4 Pro Audio 6 November 29th 04 12:12 AM