Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

Default New Telefunken mics

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
. ..

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
"Jenn" wrote in message

Our recording program at the college just received two
new mics and everyone is very excited. The new mics are
great Telefunkens:

http://www.telefunkenusa.com/product...tem=3&cat=mics

http://www.telefunkenusa.com/product...tem=7&cat=mics

Boutique items, for sure.

Equipment like this does little commensurate with the expense to teach
students about performing, recording and producing music in the real
world.

But hey, the new mics have tubes, a high price and a fancy name, and
that must ring some deep-pocketed dilettante's bell!

Ah, envy raises it's head in Arny's life once again. We will now be
subjected to a month of off- and on- again posts about Behringer and
Studio Project mics being are just as good, and why all mics above $400
are evil wastes of money.....especially those using....*gasp*.....tubes.

I have several times considered buying a tube mike. I looked for web
experiences of all the candidates under $1K, and was chastened by the
highly mixed opinions. The Rode NT2000, which I'm very happy with, and
which received excellent reviews, is also available in a tube version, and
is notably one of the quietest tube mikes in existence. But sadly, the
opinions seem split between praise and damnation. Ditto for the rest of
the offerings, except that they are typically distinguished by excessive
noise.

So the tube does something much more than subtle to the sound, as does the
transformer, if one is used (some tube mikes use bipolar direct coupled
outputs.) I suspect that the Telefunkens work for some very specific
voices, and perhaps, some instruments. High coloration is a way of life
for pop music recordists, and knowing when to use these tools could be a
great advantage. But I would expect that a cheap Behringer mike is more
neutral.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

More neutral in terms of frequency balance, perhaps, (if you are talking
their instrumentation mic) but also noisier and with lower output. Almost
all mics are designed for a purpose, Bob, as you well know. Presumably the
telefunkens were purchased with an eye towards their appropriateness for a
given use. But just as with amplifiers, tube mics tend to provide a
three-dimensionality or "roundness" to the sound (higher second harmonic,
perhaps) that transistor mics often do not....and their separate power
supplies and preamps usually allow them to handle very loud sounds and to
transmit signal back to the counsole/control room/DAW (whatever) with no hum
or other extraneous noise. It is obviously an individual choice, as it is
with almost any mic selection....there are pros and cons, but no rights or
wrongs....except for a specific application.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 19 Apr, 15:25, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

I find it to be a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I'm going to miss out on one
festival the week my daughter is getting married, for pretty obvious
reasons.

We'll know what week it is. You'll be in an
especially snotty mood, having to pay for the whole affair

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Apr 19, 7:36*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"

On Apr 19, 2:22 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Who is Krooborg, George? What is his legal name? Do you
even know it?

The sane here know who it is.

That leaves you out, ****R.

Congratulations! You've now hit your 1,000,000th IKYABWAI regardless
of the accounting system!

Your prize awaits you! Just respond to this email with your bank
account information and passwords and it will be remitted out of our
accounts receivable budget immediately!

Once again, congratulations!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Apr 19, 7:42*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote in

On Apr 19, 12:37 pm, Jenn
wrote:

To be fair (I always get in trouble with Arny when I try
to defend him, but fair is fair), his work with
recording school ensembles would qualify as professional
work, in my experience. At festivals, one of three
situations is likely, in my experience (I judge a lot of
these things): 1. The schools' pay a fee to enter the
festival, and they receive a recording of their
performance, paid for by that fee. 2. The festival picks
up the cost of the recording. 3. The school can opt to
get recorded or not, paying a separate fee to the
recording people. In any event, the recording concern
gets paid.

Semi-professional might be a better description.

Thta means something else.

A "professional" makes their living doing something.

There's not steady enough work doing festivals for anybody to make a living
doing festivals. It is a seasonal business.

Then it is not a "profession" and you are not therefore a
"professional".

But thanks ****R for sharing your ignorance of that fact, like all the other
ignorant statements that you share.

No? Oh. Another ignorant statement. I must have confused "part-time
amateur" with "professional".

I have an idea: let's ask JA if he's a professional editor who also
does some recording, or if he's a professional recording engineer who
sometimes does some writing, or what. That might indicate if you're a
professional PC repairman who does some recording, or if you're a
professional recording engineer who dabbles in PC repair.

Here's a hint, GOIA: I've played hundreds of gigs in front of
thousands of people in part-time bands. I do not call myself a
"professional" musician. I would say that I'm a semi-professional at
best, or more likely, an amateur musician who plays out.

LOL!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Apr 19, 7:48*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote in

On Apr 19, 2:26 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

It would be an interesting experiment to see how long it
would take for RAO to turn into a decent place, were the
Middiot's posse to just disappear, or perhaps tranform
themselves in decent human beings.

Since nobody seems to want audio any more and it is a
dying industry, who would come?

Typical of a numb-brain like yours ****R to think that just because audio is
changing, it is dying.

We can discuss MP3 playes all day long, GOIA. Which one sounds best to
you?

I think if you changed the group to rec.audio.opinion.MP3
it might work.

Typical of a numb-brain like yours ****R to think that slight changes such
as the use of MP3s is a sign that audio is dying.

Echolalia is resurfacing, GOIA. You should look into that.

You posted yourself that MP3 docking stations outsell all standard
stereo gear. Clearly portability wins over sound. Why discuss standard
audio gear? What docking stations do you prefer? What factory MP3
interfaces in automobiles do the best job IYO?

Have you noticed something, GOIA? There are no newbies,
no questions. Period.

That is because you scared all the newbies away, ****R.

I see. I don't recall ever replying to one with hostility. Could you
bring that post (or posts) into the light, from the darkness of your
insanity please?

There. I asked nicely and everything. (BTW, Google won't lie to you.
They do not exist. With one single exception I even left 2pid's audio-
related posts alone.)

So you lie. Yet again. What's new?

These newbies have never heard of *the "posse".

The childish antics of the Middiot's posse smacks newbies in the eye before
they make their first post.

So your contention is that if George's Posse (caps for the title of a
group, GOIA) stopped posting, which of course assumes that such a
group exists, newbies woiuld suddenly appear and ask all sorts of
interesting questions. They would not do so on RAH-E, which has no
such "posse".

Another insane claim.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Shhhh! said:

So your contention is that if George's Posse (caps for the title of a
group, GOIA) stopped posting, which of course assumes that such a
group exists, newbies woiuld suddenly appear and ask all sorts of
interesting questions. They would not do so on RAH-E, which has no
such "posse".

Interestingly, Krazy Krooger imagines various Normals are leading the
charge to have him committed. First it was the illustrious Derrida. His
reign over Turdborg lasted about three years, or approximately six times
the length of his tenure on RAO. Next came Zippy, who played here for at
least two years. Krooger didn't dwell on Zippy's posse-ing presumably
because of the reason he left RAO. At various times, Krooger has accused
Marc, John, Jennifer (not Martin, the other one), Leslie, Brian, and
probably others of commanding the plots against him. Mr. **** only
elevated me to the captaincy of the multitude of anti-Kroo konspiracies
after everybody else left RAO alone. You, Mr. Shhhh, have been in
Turdy's sights for quite a while, so don't be surprised if you become
the alleged ringleader at some point.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:

I would say that I'm a semi-professional at
best, or more likely, an amateur musician who plays out.

A fine thing to be.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Jenn said:

A fine thing to be.

Jennn I'm starting, to beleeive Jen that, you don't want to earn your
fare shair of debating trade, points Jnnen.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

So your contention is that if George's Posse
stopped posting, newbies woiuld suddenly appear and ask all
sorts of interesting questions.

No, newbies and a few returning regulars would slowly appear and discuss
audio.

As you state it ****R, there is an excluded-middle. Far be it from you to
make an fair statement.

They would not do so on RAH-E, which has no such "posse".

There's far more audio going on at RAHE than there is on RAO, by far. This
is true, despite the inconvenience of being moderated.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default The Krooborg shows how to wear a coat of **** in style

Arnii "Utmost in Fecality" Krooborg spasms erratically.

There's far more audio going on at RAHE than there is on RAO, by far.

Another major achievement in unintended irony for the Krooborg. Bravo,
Turdy!

BTW, I'm curious why you crawled back into RAH-E after they shunned you.
A sane human being would laugh and turn his back. But not you. You
couldn't wait to pound on the door, weeping and wailing pitifully, until
the big bad moderators relented and took pity on your pathetic self.
Please explain your behavior, Arnii.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

It's not his coat of **** that's funny. It's the platform shoes.