Posted to rec.audio.opinion
OAP OAP is offline

Default Analog Sony Walkman replacement

For years, both in Calidfornia and GB I have listened at night to AM
stations far away with a series of Sony (analog) Sony Walkmans.
Eventually, they fail due to earphone sockets getting mis-shapen (I
assume) or dust/lint/junk getting inside. (I usually fall asleep while
listening.)
I listen to distant stations as I like to hear the news and there is
no good 24 hour news station in my area. The past decade I've been
listening to one 480 highway miles away!

Any idea of a replacement - theSony digetal one won't tune into any
stations of use as they are in a string of stronger stations. One with
a cassette won't do - too much mechanical stuff to get gummed up and
to uncomfortable to roll onto g.

The other option would be to disassemble and clean.
Any idea on how to do this?

Listening to SF in SD
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
No Name

"OAP" wrote in message
For years, both in Calidfornia and GB I have listened at night to AM
stations far away with a series of Sony (analog) Sony Walkmans.
Eventually, they fail due to earphone sockets getting mis-shapen (I
assume) or dust/lint/junk getting inside. (I usually fall asleep while
listening.)
I listen to distant stations as I like to hear the news and there is
no good 24 hour news station in my area. The past decade I've been
listening to one 480 highway miles away!

Any idea of a replacement - theSony digetal one won't tune into any
stations of use as they are in a string of stronger stations. One with
a cassette won't do - too much mechanical stuff to get gummed up and
to uncomfortable to roll onto g.

The other option would be to disassemble and clean.
Any idea on how to do this?

Do these stations have a web broadcast? This is the way to listen, if you
can. Google the station's call letters and read its website.

Norm

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
OAP OAP is offline

On Apr 7, 8:49*pm, wrote:
"OAP" wrote in message

[...]

Norm- Hide quoted text -

I have to hold the walkman in a certain position to get SF clear.
Table radio is a nice thought as antenna can be set just once - or
maybe have several of them, switchable.

I do a bit of traveling. 2007 included Houston (2 or 3 times) Portland
(OR), South Bend, Hawaii, SF, Vegas and Palm Springs.
I like the BBC on most NPR stations. Houston was the worst of those
listed above and, counting the size, South Bend was the best for NPR.

KNX 1060? is a nice LA 24 hour news station, but I know SF (KCBS @
740) better and they hold to schedule nicely. I haven't figured out
the KNX schedule.

I'll check into other radios, but like something to fit pocket.

BTW, I have a Radio your way" This is a AM/FM radio with a solid state
recording media. In theory, it is programable like a VCR. I've had it
about 8 years now and love it, but it is digital tuning, so won't do
for my problem. It also has a built-in mike and speaker. Smaler than
a cigarette pack - and one hell of a lot more expensive. If there is a
show I want to hear, I'll bring it along, manually start it when the
show comes on and use the earphones as antenna. I think that it is on
the web under Pogo or Radio your way. (radio my way?) figure on $125 -
$150

In Silicon Valley I aad a rotatable TV antenna on a roof mounted mast,
feeding into a filter / amp, then to a VCR hitched to the set. Beta in
den and standard, as it became, in LR. connecting cables between the
two VCRs under floor. I got about 25 channels -with still damn little
worth watching. In GB I got 5 TV channels and five BBC radio sations.
Sometimes I had two audio recorders going and a video recorder, which
watching yet another set.
Damn, I love electronic media - if there's someting worthwhile on.

PS "On the Media" is a good show with at least three or two
interesting topics per show.. It's available on the net, where you can
read the transcript faster than listening.

0225 - time to quit.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
yellowmattercustard yellowmattercustard is offline

"OAP" wrote

Any idea of a replacement - theSony digetal one won't tune into any
stations of use as they are in a string of stronger stations. One with
a cassette won't do - too much mechanical stuff to get gummed up and
to uncomfortable to roll onto g.

You could try one of these.
http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card...oductDbId=6289

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
OAP OAP is offline

On Apr 8, 5:15*am, "yellowmattercustard"
wrote:
"OAP" wrote

Any idea of a replacement - theSony digetal one won't tune into any
stations of use as they are in a string of stronger stations. One with
a cassette won't do - too much mechanical stuff to get gummed up and
to uncomfortable to roll onto g.

You could try one of these.http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card...oductDbId=6289

Thank you.iomed that I wanted the antenna to be the earbud cord. I
have sight in only one eye and don'twant take achance on popping the
other tossing in my sleep.
Thanks for the thought, though.

Hard to please.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
OAP OAP is offline

On Apr 7, 2:48*am, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"OAP" wrote in message

For years, both in Calidfornia and GB I have listened at night to AM
stations far away with a series of Sony (analog) Sony Walkmans.
Eventually, they fail due to earphone sockets getting mis-shapen (I
assume) or dust/lint/junk getting inside. (I usually fall asleep while
listening.)
I listen to distant stations as I like to hear the news and there is
no good 24 hour news station in my area. The past decade I've been
listening to one 480 highway miles away!

Any idea of a replacement - theSony *digetal one won't tune into any
stations of use as they are in a string of stronger stations. One with
a cassette won't do - too much mechanical stuff to get gummed up and
to uncomfortable to roll onto g.

The other option would be to disassemble and clean.
Any idea on how to do this?

Listening to SF in SD

A few companies still make their reputation on exceptional radios. One is
Sangean. The best match for your needs would be this:http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=19033
I have a similar interest to yours, especially when I travel. A step up
would be a Kaito:http://www.kaitousa.com/radios.htm
The Kaito 1121 is a little bigger than pocket size, but not much, and is
actually a professional communications grade AM/FM/SW/NOAA unit, which is
programmable by a text file composed on a PC. It also has the ability to
record to flash. The large ferrite antenna, plus the included powered active
loop antenna, would give you transcontinental range.

Bob Morein

Thankls, Biob. Again, I've had poor luck trying to DX with digital
radios looking for a specific station and the stick antenna might take
out my remaiing eye.

A Halicrafter S38 E that I had from te late fifties through the
eighties might work with a long cord for the buds.
My trps thriugh severl stores have proved useless - always some
drawback. The last god one cost me $2 at a charity shop, but lasted
just a short time before turing got iffy. Walkman, too.

I gues I'm going to buy a can of inert gas and try cleaning the
Walkmen. (Walkmans?)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
yellowmattercustard yellowmattercustard is offline

"OAP" wrote

You could try one of
these.http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card...oductDbId=6289

"Thank you.iomed that I wanted the antenna to be the earbud cord. I
have sight in only one eye and don'twant take achance on popping the
other tossing in my sleep."

Not possible. If you are strictly listening to AM, the telescopic antenna is
not necessary. It uses a built in ferrite bar for AM. Plus the unit is
rubberized, so the chances of it hurting you are slim to none.

I have one, and afaiac it's the best bang for the buck in hand-held, pocket
sized radio market. $30? It's cheap. There is no need to spend any more than
that unless you are planning to DX, in which case, a set top box and outdoor
antenna would be the preferred method.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
OAP OAP is offline

On Apr 9, 12:03*pm, "yellowmattercustard"
wrote:
"OAP" wrote

You could try one of
these.http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card...oductDbId=6289

"Thank you.iomed that I wanted the antenna to be the earbud cord. I
have sight in only one eye and don'twant *take achance on popping the
other tossing in my sleep."

Not possible. If you are strictly listening to AM, the telescopic antenna is
not necessary. It uses a built in ferrite bar for AM. Plus the unit is
rubberized, so the chances of it hurting you are slim to none.

I have one, and afaiac it's the best bang for the buck in hand-held, pocket
sized radio market. $30? It's cheap. There is no need to spend any more than
that unless you are planning to DX, in which case, a set top box and outdoor
antenna would be the preferred method.

I tried taking apart the unit, but had no luck.
The noise while dialing was getting worse, so with several spares, I
tried an experiment. Removing the battery, I stuck it in waterand
wiggled it about for several minutes, then let it drain and dry. It
got stations weell, but the bottom of the dial had shifted up, so that
the higher frequesny stations were / are gone. It's better than it was
before the soak, but with fewer stations.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
yellowmattercustard yellowmattercustard is offline

"OAP" wrote

"I tried taking apart the unit, but had no luck.
The noise while dialing was getting worse, so with several spares, I
tried an experiment. Removing the battery, I stuck it in waterand
wiggled it about for several minutes, then let it drain and dry. It
got stations weell, but the bottom of the dial had shifted up, so that
the higher frequesny stations were / are gone. It's better than it was
before the soak, but with fewer stations."

Holy mackinaw dude!

You are suffering for no reason.

Get the hell out there and buy something.

:|

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
OAP OAP is offline

On Apr 15, 11:57*am, "yellowmattercustard"
wrote:
"OAP" wrote

"I tried taking apart the unit, but had no luck.
The noise while dialing was getting worse, so with several spares, I
tried an experiment. Removing the battery, I stuck it in waterand
wiggled it about for several minutes, then let it drain and dry. It
got stations weell, but the bottom of the dial had shifted up, so that
the higher frequesny stations were / are gone. It's better than it was
before the soak, but with fewer stations."

Holy mackinaw dude!

You are suffering for no reason.

Get the hell out there and buy something.

:|

I'd love to, but as I said before all the small inits have gone
digital and thet won't pick up a weak signal in the midst of stronger
ones.

But if you know one that will.....

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
yellowmattercustard yellowmattercustard is offline

"OAP" wrote

"I'd love to, but as I said before all the small inits have gone
digital and thet won't pick up a weak signal in the midst of stronger
ones."

Did you even visit the Eton website?

The unit I posted the link to has *analog* tuning with a digital display. I
repeat...*analog* tuning!

It gets great reviews, and is a bargain.

I won't be wasting anymore time with you.

Over and out.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
OAP OAP is offline

On Apr 16, 8:12*am, "yellowmattercustard"
wrote:
"OAP" wrote

"I'd love to, but as I said before all the small inits have gone
digital and thet won't pick up a weak signal in the midst of stronger
ones."

Did you even visit the Eton website?

The unit I posted the link to has *analog* tuning with a digital display. I
repeat...*analog* tuning!

It gets great reviews, and is a bargain.

I won't be wasting anymore time with you.

Over and out.

I did visit the site, but was turned off by the window and went no
deeper into the product. I have only one eye and would fear turning
over at night and poking out the other. (I never know where I'm going
to find the walkman in the AM!)
Also, I would be in deeper sh*t if it poked out the eye of SHMBO!

As it is, I have a 12 band ($50 about eight years ago at MCRD, SD)
that I could mount on the wall and use with ear buds, if I can't find
anything. We have eight or so radios in the house, not counting my
Walkmans or car radios.

I also own a Radio-your-way by Pogo. It's an audio solid-state VCR.
Ditital, of course. It cost me about $135, IIRC. About the size of a
Marlboro pack. Delightful.
There's a show that I like to listen to, so I record it when I'm out
and listen to it as I walk about the next day.
The show is "On the Media." Easier than getting it on the web,
although there you can read the transcripts to save time.

Hope that you hung in to hear this.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
yellowmattercustard yellowmattercustard is offline

"OAP" wrote

"Hope that you hung in to hear this."

Of course.
I was just trying to help.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
OAP OAP is offline

On Apr 17, 5:26*am, "yellowmattercustard"
wrote:
"OAP" wrote

"Hope that you hung in to hear this."

Of course.
I was just trying to help.

I realize that and thankl you for that good original message and later

Looking for Sony Walkman WM-F33 / WM-F43 Mike Richardson Marketplace 1 January 18th 08 11:44 PM
Sony Walkman Jenn Audio Opinions 2 July 2nd 07 09:35 PM
Sony CD-Walkman defect - Is there any replacement-part for exchange? j wenke Tech 0 June 14th 04 05:51 PM
FA: Sony Walkman Sony CD/MP3 Walkman D-NE511/S Mike Hall Marketplace 0 January 2nd 04 12:18 PM
FA: Sony DAT Walkman TCD-D8 Brian McWilliams Pro Audio 0 September 1st 03 08:24 PM