Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Derrick Fawsitt

Default Best amplifiers for Quad 989's

I have just acquired Quad 989's Electrostatic Speakers and I find them
the ultimate and definitive solution, at least for me. I currently use
entirely Quad units to drive them, i.e. Quad 909 with its pre-amp
together with a Quad 99 CD Player. However, I noticed one US reviewer of
the speakers stated that while the 909 Amp must have been designed with
the Speakers in mind he found that he got the best results with other
amps, is this true and what therefore do you consider the "best" setup
to drive and to use with the 989s.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109

In article ,
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

I have just acquired Quad 989's Electrostatic Speakers and I find them
the ultimate and definitive solution, at least for me. I currently use
entirely Quad units to drive them, i.e. Quad 909 with its pre-amp
together with a Quad 99 CD Player. However, I noticed one US reviewer of
the speakers stated that while the 909 Amp must have been designed with
the Speakers in mind he found that he got the best results with other
amps, is this true and what therefore do you consider the "best" setup
to drive and to use with the 989s.

I don't think you're going wrong with the Quad amp. My 63s seem happy
with a lowly NAD integrated.

If that's the old 99 cd player, you might consider the newer 99. If you
want a counterpoint to whoever had a preference for non-Quad amps:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/news...quad99cdp.html

My Quad speakers and Arcam cd player pretty much killed my urge to
upgrade amps.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

"Derrick Fawsitt" wrote in message
I have just acquired Quad 989's Electrostatic Speakers and I find them the
ultimate and definitive solution, at least for me. I currently use entirely
Quad units to drive them, i.e. Quad 909 with its pre-amp together with a
Quad 99 CD Player. However, I noticed one US reviewer of the speakers
stated that while the 909 Amp must have been designed with the Speakers in
mind he found that he got the best results with other amps, is this true
and what therefore do you consider the "best" setup to drive and to use
with the 989s.
--
Derrick Fawsitt

Plinius SA-102

Cheers,

Margaret

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Margaret von B.
writes

"Derrick Fawsitt" wrote in message
I have just acquired Quad 989's Electrostatic Speakers and I find them the
ultimate and definitive solution, at least for me. I currently use entirely
Quad units to drive them, i.e. Quad 909 with its pre-amp together with a
Quad 99 CD Player. However, I noticed one US reviewer of the speakers
stated that while the 909 Amp must have been designed with the Speakers in
mind he found that he got the best results with other amps, is this true
and what therefore do you consider the "best" setup to drive and to use
with the 989s.
--
Derrick Fawsitt

Plinius SA-102

Cheers,

Margaret

Thank you all, much appreciated. I continually re-examine my choice of
Speaker as its such a break-away from a conventional moving coil
solution. I suppose I just need a little re-assurance that I have made
the right choice.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109

In article ,
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

Thank you all, much appreciated. I continually re-examine my choice of
Speaker as its such a break-away from a conventional moving coil
solution. I suppose I just need a little re-assurance that I have made
the right choice.

Well, you have to put up with extra bass compared to the 988. :-)

You have a great speaker design from a legendary audio pioneer. They
sound good and measure well. They are revealing, but not ruthlessly so.
given proper placement, an good room and a good recording, they can
provide the uncanny listening experience music lovers and hifi nuts long
for.

Sure, there are other good speakers in the world, and some people need
more dynamic range, but you're doing okay.

Stephen