Laurence Payne

Default Questions about computer based recording

I am thinking of selling my Mackie gear and going computer based but I have
a couple of key questions that will ultimately make the decision for me.

The main concern is doing manual punch ins. With the Mackie HDR you have the
option of using a punch in foot switch that works great when I am recording
my guitars tracks alone. Is there a way to punch in using a foot switch on a
computer based system? I've never seen or heard about it.

You don't need a punch in switch on a digital system. The whole
concept of "Punch in" is quite different when all recording is
non-destructive of the previous take.

The second issue is being able to have the transport controls easily
reachable while I track. I supposed the computer keyboard would work ok but
I do prefer the old fashioned buttons. Especially for quick rewinding and
forwarding to setup for the next take. I know Mackie makes the Mackie
Control but I would prefer something portable and small that I can easily
move around. Perhaps he Baby HUI?

You could look around for a computer keyboard with only a few buttons
on it :-)

Probably better to come to terms with the fact that it's a computer
system, and many facets of making it resemble an analogue system are
futile.
Mike Rivers

In article "Ethan Winer" ethan at ethanwiner dot com writes:

I agree with Laurence that computer recording, editing, and punching in are
vastly superior to the "old way," and the best solution is to learn the new
methods. You are not likely to be disappointed!

I'll agree with the editing. Recording is a tossup when you consider
the medium - cost for recording vs. cost and convenience for backup
(which we rarely did except for special and "major label" projects
when we could put a reel of 2" tape on the shelf). Punching is in
contention as you can read here.

I'll also mention that I never punch in anymore. It's much easier to just
use new tracks and assemble the best pieces after.

Not necessarily easier, but less risky, and feasible when working by
yourself, but when people are waiting for their turn and don't want to
hear a track with mistakes that have already been fixed, that takes
time away from a working session.

Many are overjoyed at the ability to have more recording power than
they could ever imagine using. Some are disappointed when actually
trying to put all of that power to practical use.

It all depends on the appllication, the temperment, the budget, and
the phase of the moon.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
Default User

Randall,

Can you give me more information on the MIDI footswitch you are using to
punch in?

Thanks,

Eric