Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mmm_moo_cows

Default A couple of Home recording questions

Hi,

Sort of new to home recording. Attempting to record the guitar. Any
help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, I have a cornford mk-50h stack (stacked amp), which I use a
THD Hotplate (power attenuator, basically quitens the stack down by
sitting inbetween the amp head and the speaker cabinet).

The THD hotplate has a line out which I used to record. Recording wise
I am using a Midiman M-audiophile 2696 and cakewalk sonar 3 (p1.7 128
RAM - upgrading to a p3.0 528 RAM soon)

Problem is, when I record clean guitar it sounds ok but when I attempt
to record distorted guitar, it just sounds bad and fuzzy (not
malfunction bad, but just low quality almost like it is a real cheap
distortion effect- which its not!). I'm not overloading the soundcard
inputs or anything like that, and there is certainly nothing wrong
with the equipment nor is it cheap/dodgey equipment. I'm guessing its
because of the whole using line out thing.

So would buying a microphone be a good idea(not certain, but I heard
the shure 57 was good to start with), and hopefully I can then get the
distortion sounding on the recording as it should? - or is it another
general problem with my setup?

Also, when I do record something, I always get my vu (i think its
called, the sound input level meter) db level in the green range
(occasionally it might dip into yellow, but only just). However,
whenever I play it back it is ever so quite. Much much quiter then
any music I may have on my system. Is there something I am doing
wrong? All levels are set to normal in the recording software, i.e.
its mixer is not quitening it (unless it does it by default).

Also, a little on the pc, p3.0 528 RAM is that good enough to record
to a descent quality (i.e. low latency etc, 41 up to 91k 24bit), or
would 1 gig of RAM be ideal.

Sorry for the long post and loads of questions, been playing for 10
years and am becoming more and more enthusiastic towards home
recording but I cant seem to get the recording to sound good - I
realise I wont be able to get the polished result of what is on a cd,
but I though I may get closish to that. I have heard clips people
have home recorded that sound good/proper, but none of them were mine!

Also generally speaking, how would a pc setup compare to proper
recording deck/machine?

Any help would be most appreciated and thanks in advance for any help,

Jon.