Racer

Default What audio file formats do you use if ........

What audio file formats do you use if ........ if your
first recording is a band and you know that the
music file produced will be open, edited and
saved many many times before finally being
made available in the MP3 format.
I mean, how do you avoid gradual signal
degradation with each edit/save operation?
Advise appreciated....... thnx!
Joe Kesselman

I mean, how do you avoid gradual signal
degradation with each edit/save operation?

Anything uncompressed (eg .wav files) or one of the lossless compression
schemes. The tools you're using to do the edits will generally prefer
the former.
Laurence Payne

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:14:37 +0800, Racer wrote:

What audio file formats do you use if ........ if your
first recording is a band and you know that the
music file produced will be open, edited and
saved many many times before finally being
made available in the MP3 format.
I mean, how do you avoid gradual signal
degradation with each edit/save operation?

By not using a compressed file format.
One normally records wav files. Were you considering something else?
Racer

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:33:42 +0100, Laurence Payne
wrote:

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:14:37 +0800, Racer wrote:

What audio file formats do you use if ........ if your
first recording is a band and you know that the
music file produced will be open, edited and
saved many many times before finally being
made available in the MP3 format.
I mean, how do you avoid gradual signal
degradation with each edit/save operation?

By not using a compressed file format.
One normally records wav files. Were you considering something else?

I wasn't sure but thanks to you all for the info
that I should stick to uncompressed formats
like 'wav' until all editing is finished and only
then, convert it finally to 'mp3'.
thnx!

Geoff@work

"Racer" wrote in message

What audio file formats do you use if ........ if your
first recording is a band and you know that the
music file produced will be open, edited and
saved many many times before finally being
made available in the MP3 format.
I mean, how do you avoid gradual signal
degradation with each edit/save operation?
Advise appreciated....... thnx!

Linear PCM files. That's often WAV format in PC-Land and AIFF in MacWorld.
Some applications may favour other or proprietry pCM formats.

geoff

RD Jones

wrote:

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:14:37 +0800, Racer wrote:

What audio file formats do you use if ........ if your
first recording is a band and you know that the
music file produced will be open, edited and
saved many many times before finally being
made available in the MP3 format.
I mean, how do you avoid gradual signal
degradation with each edit/save operation?

By not using a compressed file format.
One normally records wav files. Were you considering something else?

I wasn't sure but thanks to you all for the info
that I should stick to uncompressed formats
like 'wav' until all editing is finished and only
then, convert it finally to 'mp3'.
thnx!

The primary concerns in avoiding any degradation
is to avoid any unneeded sample-rate conversions
and bit-depth reductions, particularly truncation.
If your final format is a CD (or a 44.1/16 MP3)
then start and stay at 44.1kHz.
Use 24 bit all the way through and dither to 16bit
just before making a CD and ruining (converting)
to MP3 ;-]
Edits and other processing will be more accurate
at 24Bit.
These points are well debated in these threads
but any degradation will be minimal with this approach.

good luck
rd

Bob Olhsson

"Racer" wrote in message

What audio file formats do you use if ........ if your
first recording is a band and you know that the
music file produced will be open, edited and
saved many many times before finally being
made available in the MP3 format.

By far the most universally readable format is .wav. Broadcast .wav is the
only international standard that is expected to be supported indefinitely.

I don't use anything else and convert almost everything I take in to that
format. This is because one never knows at the time when one is quite
literally making history or at least may need to use the files again after
20 years.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com