Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Default Because They Wouldn't Let Me In Their Club

Because They Wouldn't Let Me In Their Club

Mary Grabar

"In my ignorance, I once held hopes of gaining entrance into a club more

exclusive than any country club or nightclub.

Having been educated in public schools and therefore exposed to only one
form of thought, I thought this club represented intellectualism.

My first exposure to intellectual thought was a shelf filled with dime
store Golden Books. One of the American €śladies€ť had heard about the
cleaning abilities of a Slovenian immigrant woman who was laid off from
her job in a factory. So this lady picked my mother and me up and drove us
out to her big house in the suburbs. The drive was a special treat for me,
for I rarely got car rides; my family would not own a car until I was
twelve.

As my mother cleaned upstairs, my eyes caught sight of a shelf, fairly
glowing gold in the sunshine streaming through the large picture window.
There were dozens of dime store Golden Books lined up! The children that
lived here must truly be rich, I thought. My sister and I had one Golden
Book between us, Hiawatha and Little Bear, that my father struggled to
sound the words from. In later years I realized that he was probably
functionally illiterate in his native Slovenian, having only a
fourth-grade education. One of nine children, he slept with his brothers
in the hayloft because there wasnt enough bed space in the two-room
straw-thatched house. No time could be spent on school when all hands were
needed in the fields.

I skipped kindergarten so my mother could work in the factory and longed
for the written word. After some catching up, I became a star reader in
the first grade.

I also began noticing €śclass distinctions.€ť The children whose houses
my mother cleaned often made fun of our ways. They mocked our language, my
Slovenian-style braids. They made fun of the fact that I wore their older
sisters hand-me-downs. These children were driven to dance lessons,
music lessons, and outings by their mothers. They were fawned over and
bragged about. They carelessly left their Golden Books lying about and
later would complain about having to read. I was taught how to clean so
Id be able to earn my own money a few years down the road.

As soon as I could, I took advantage of what a library card could offer
me.

When I decided to fulfill the dream of a life of ideas and books years
later and pursued a Ph.D. in English, I found those spoiled kids grown up
and teaching the classes I was taking. Their classes were exercises in
demolishing the great works of the past with postmodern and Marxist
theories. They lent an air of superiority to their deconstructions of
Shakespeare and T.S. Eliot, and declared them guilty of the sins that
afflict all Western white males from which they dissociated themselves.
Yet, their own writing was puerile.

I also saw that these very same children who treated books cavalierly and
left messes for the cleaning lady expressed in very emotional and public
terms their concerns for the downtrodden of darker hues. As I struggled in
graduate school to support myself and my son and opted for teaching the
large load of freshman composition classes, I was told by the graduate
director that it would be better to take a lighter teaching load. When I
told him that I could not afford to, he suggested I economize by eating
€śmore beans.€ť

Yet, when a potential black graduate student was to visit the school, a
request was sent over the departments email list calling for volunteers
to pick her up from the airport. But I doubt that my services would have
been desired, for my beat-up Ford Escort was not very reliable. I searched
posters on walls around faculty members offices for grants. I saw the
invitations from the Ford Foundation, the university itself, and others,
but saw that I was excluded.

In the freshman composition classes I taught, I was ordered to use
€śtexts€ť that celebrated such things as polygamy, child sacrifice,
ancestor worship, and ritual suicide. Special sections were devoted to
Chicano writers, African-American writers, Chinese writers, prisoners. In
a decade and a half I have seen only one work by someone of Eastern
European heritage, an unknown daughter of Ukrainian immigrants who wrote
an anti-Vietnam short story. Scalp dances and rain dances in the
anthologies I was ordered to teach from were presented by the editors as
the highest forms of literature. Religions that practiced human sacrifice
accompanied by the tribal beat of drums were celebrated as the highest
forms of spirituality.

Yet my pointing out in a seminar that certain lines from T.S. Eliots
poem €śAsh Wednesday€ť were references to the mass and not signs of
anti-Semitism, misogyny, classicism, or any other €śism,€ť was met with
stares that had me pinned and wriggling with the question: Who let this
fundamentalist nut into graduate school? I was ridiculed in class by the
popular professors.

Yet, my thesis advisor (a devout Catholic who received tenure before
political correctness) helped me revise my paper for publication at his
house and over lunch€”after he had retired.

The loudest advocates of €śworkers€ť and the €śproletariat€ť in the
graduate classroom were twenty-somethings who had generous allowances from
parents. These students wrote odes to themselves about handing dollar bills
to the homeless. They lounged around when visiting as I struggled to
maintain my house and yard.

Yet, it was my neighbor whom they would have labeled backward because of
her membership in the Pentecostal Church, whom my son called Mee Maw, who
would get on her riding lawn mower and just show up in my backyard. She
would sometimes watch my son during my evening classes. I remember walking
home one evening to be greeted by her raking the grass in the front yard
with my son.

When I later gave her my heartfelt thanks she did not write a
Whitman-esque paean about it, but brushed it off and said, €śThats
what Our Lord told us to do.€ť

My education, eventually, came not from the books on the syllabi of the
popular professors, but from the authors they disparaged: T.S. Eliot,
Richard Weaver, Russell Kirk, William F. Buckley.

I also came to see that I had more in common with Mee Maw than my
sophisticated colleagues who liked to continue their nihilism in
conversation at parties fueled by drink and drugs.

Yet this group saw themselves as the saviors of humanity.

They have come to make up hiring committees and dedicate themselves to the
goals of affirmative action. The snotty kids who made fun of my language
grew up to embrace Spanish and promote bilingualism in the workplace and
in schools. Most of them support Barack Obama.

They identify with Barack Obamas statement in Philadelphia a few weeks
ago about Jeremiah Wrights outrageous statements because they agree
with what Wright says. Wright may call this country €śthe U.S. of
K.K.K.A.€ť The English Ph.D.s use slightly more sophisticated language
in literature textbooks as they point out for students, €śthe bloody
truths of Europes colonial dreams€ť (Norton anthology) and €śthe
imperialist and colonizing€ť mentality of late nineteenth-century America
(Heath anthology).

Barack Obama said a short time ago in Philadelphia, €śThe fact that so
many people are surprised to hear that anger in some of Reverend
Wrights sermons simply reminds us of the old truism that the most
segregated hour of American life occurs on Sunday morning.€ť

Really, Barack Obama? €śThe most segregated hour of American life occurs
on Sunday morning€ť?

Not at the Baptist church around the corner from where I live. On my
dozens of Sunday morning visits, I have heard the gospel preached, but
never a mention of race or politics. When the black members come to shake
my hand I doubt that they congratulate themselves for their generosity of
putting their black hands into my white one. The same holds true for the
Catholic Church down the road from me.

I think the most segregated church is the church of the liberal. His dogma
is that racial bigotry exists. But it exists only in those outside of his
club."

http://townhall.com/columnists/MaryG...ub?page=ful l

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 4 Mai, 19:11, "BretLudwig" wrote:
Because They Wouldn't Let Me In Their Club

just so you could hear "You can't Quit My Club
I'd send you my copy, but i see the cd sells for $135.00

http://www.amazon.com/Root-Boy-Slim-...9949677&sr=1-1

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On May 4, 6:11*pm, "BretLudwig" wrote:
Because They Wouldn't Let Me In Their Club

You are offered a lifetime membership in the dip**** club.

Please contact 2pid, President and CEO, as well as Founder,
immediately.