Hektor Mesta

Default Configuration

Ok guys I would like to know if I can get any suggestions here.
I just got a Saturn ION2 2003 and so far I have replaced the head unit with a Kenwood KDC-X969 and the from speakers with the Infinity Kappa 60.5cs component system I also replaced the rear speakers with a par of RF HPC1206. I'm running the front and rear speakers with an Alpine MRV-F250 and I'm running a sub box with 2 Pionners TS-W301C with a Kenwood KAC-X810D. My problem is that from time to time I can hear the alternator noise. Some guys said that my RCA cables are probably bad and that my best bet is to replace them with RF Matrix 5.0 Interconnect Signal Cable. any suggestions ? ideas ? Do you think that I need to re-do the electrical configuration ? any ideas in this area?

Thank you for your assistance !

--
"Wikked"
"In God we trust .. everybody else better have a firewall"
Tony Fernandes

When you say from time to time that you hear alternator noise, do you mean that the sound is intermittent, or that sometimes you just don't pay attention to it?

Most alternator noise is caused by poor grounding. Make sure you are grounding your amps and HU to a solid metal, non-painted chasis point. Sometimes you can also induce noise if the amps are mounted to different grouding spots, but I have not had this problem as much. Also make sure your ground wires are at least as large as the power wires.

If the alternator noise is intermittment, then most likely it's just a loose ground that can be tightened down.

Check these first, then look at your RCA cables as a possible source. You don't need ultra-expensive cables to have a noise-free system. Just a good quality shielded one.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we wouldn't have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact

Hektor Mesta

Tony,

Thanks for your input. !!

The noise that I hear it comes and goes. Somedays I cant hear it at all and some others is so strong that annoys the hell out of me !! Now the head unit is grounded to the (-)12V and the amps are grounded to the chassis of the car does this make any difference?

--
Hektor "Wikked" Mesta
"Tony Fernandes" wrote in message ...
[...]

Tony Fernandes

Do you mean the HU is connected to the negative terminal of the battery? I suppose if this fixes your problem then okay, but it's generally accepted that nothing should be connected to the negative battery terminal. Shouldn't hurt anything, but if I were you I would just find a solid shiny metal surface behind the dash somewhere.

Yes...amps to the chasis is a good thing. Any difference?

If some days you can hear it and others you can't most likely means a loose connection. Double check them.

Out of curiousity, what kind of RCA cables are you actually using?

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we wouldn't have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact

Hektor Mesta

Tony,

I'm running Monster Cable RCA's they are kinda old I would say about 5 years old. Well I'm gonna take my car to the garage tomorrow and I will double check the connections just to make sure everything is making good connection. So you said that the HU is ok running from the negative ground from the battery right?

--
Hektor "Wikked" Mesta
[...]

Hektor Mesta

Tony,

What would it be your electrical configuration with this system? if you dont mind me asking ..

--
Hektor "Wikked" Mesta
[...]

Tony Fernandes

I'm not sure where your amps are mounted, but here goes.

HU postitive running into the factory wiring harness, grounded behind the dash. I would use a 4-guage power wire from the battery (fused) then split it up into 2 8-guages for the amps. Amps could either be grounded to the chasis (short 8-guage wire) independently or to the same spot if the amps are close to one another.

RCA cables are routed to the amps on the opposite side of the car as your power cables. Speaker cables and RCA are okay to run together, but I still like to keep them slightly separated. Any power/electrical wires that you have to run the RCA cords near, make sure you cross them at right angles.

Hope that helps.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we wouldn't have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact

Mark Zarella

Tony Fernandes wrote:
I'm not sure where your amps are mounted, but here goes.

HU postitive running into the factory wiring harness, grounded behind
the dash. I would use a 4-guage power wire from the battery (fused)
then split it up into 2 8-guages for the amps. Amps could either be
grounded to the chasis (short 8-guage wire) independently or to the same
spot if the amps are close to one another.

RCA cables are routed to the amps on the opposite side of the car as
your power cables. Speaker cables and RCA are okay to run together, but
I still like to keep them slightly separated. Any
power/electrical wires that you have to run the RCA cords near, make
sure you cross them at right angles.

Bah! It really doesn't matter.

Hektor Mesta

Tony,

Thank a lot for your inputs !!
I think I'm going to have to redo the electrical setting. My amps are running together in the trunk right next to each other. Now the good thing about the ION Saturn is that the battery is right in the trunk next to the spare tire so I dont have to be running electrical cables all over the place. So what do you think about 2 pioneers ? do you think I should replace them by newer subs ?

--
Hektor "Wikked" Mesta
[...]

Mark Zarella

Tony Fernandes wrote:
"Bah! It really doesn't matter."

Which part, Mark?

The part about being anal about segregating the wires and crossing them
at right angles and the like. It's just not important.

Haioken

It's not going to cause problems, but it's not good practice.
A good ground is one with as close to no resistance as possible to the
negative terminal of the battery, without having a direct connection.

- Haioken

"Hektor Mesta" wrote in message
news Tony,

[...]

Haioken

Not too much in car audio, because you're running at relatively low
frequencies.
Say the same thing in a computer networking forum, and you've just hit flame
war of the century material.

- Haioken

Tony Fernandes wrote:
"Bah! It really doesn't matter."

Which part, Mark?

The part about being anal about segregating the wires and crossing them
at right angles and the like. It's just not important.

Hektor Mesta

Haioken,

can you explain why ? if not to hard to explain ! =)

--
Hektor "Wikked" Mesta
"Haioken" wrote in message u...
[...]

Tony Fernandes

Mark Zarella wrote: "The part about being anal about segregating the wires
and crossing them at right angles and the like. It's just not important."

Well, it must be my obsessive nature, because that's the way I've always
done it...at least ever since my stereo has not had any system noise. Once
the carpeting and seats are are dismantled, it's really not much more work
to route everything as I explained. It's peace of mind in my book.

Anal? Well, I also use lots of duct tape, wire ties, and split loom tubing
to keep everything in place under the carpet & safe from sharp edges.

I guess I'm anal. But then again, I've not had ONE single installation
problem since my "beginning" days when I really didn't know what I was
doing. Mind you, I still have much to learn.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that
he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we wouldn't
have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact

Mark Zarella

Well, it must be my obsessive nature, because that's the way I've always
done it...at least ever since my stereo has not had any system noise. Once
the carpeting and seats are are dismantled, it's really not much more work
to route everything as I explained. It's peace of mind in my book.

It can be a lot more work. You actually remove the entire carpet?

Tony Fernandes

Mark Zarella wrote: "It can be a lot more work. You actually remove the
entire carpet?"

Hmmmm...no. Just basically pull it aside wherever necessary.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that
he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we wouldn't
have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact
"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
Well, it must be my obsessive nature, because that's the way I've always
done it...at least ever since my stereo has not had any system noise.

Once
the carpeting and seats are are dismantled, it's really not much more

work
to route everything as I explained. It's peace of mind in my book.

It can be a lot more work. You actually remove the entire carpet?

Hektor Mesta

Tony,

I really appreciate your ideas !!!!

--
Hektor "Wikked" Mesta
[...]

Derek

On the question of grounding, the best practice is to run one wire from each
device (amps, head units) to one connection point on the body. Close to
battery is best, but I've always had good results with the ground inside the
car. The reason for this type of configuration: if the battery ground is
at 0.000 volts and there is a little resistance between its ground and
somewhere else in the body, say point X then a potential difference exists
and that causes current to flow (between the grounds). If the amps are at
one ground point and the head unit at another ground point, again the
potential at these two points can differ slightly and cause a ground loop
flow which = noise. So, one ground point with a wire to each device is
best.

I agree with you Tony on segregating wires, especially DC supply wires.
Large DC currents flowing through a wire create magnetic fields around the
wire, which could interfere with the signal going through unshielded speaker
wires, and possibly induce currents in the shielding of signal wires. I
followed the practice of separating DC,signal, and speaker wires on the
installation of an Alpine CDA-7995, a higher end unit, and the whole system
is dead quiet. As it should be.

Derek

[...]

Soundfreak03

On the question of grounding, the best practice is to run one wire from each
device (amps, head units) to one connection point on the body.

The best practice is to make sure you have good solid grounds. They do NOT need
to all run to the same place.

Close to
battery is best, but I've always had good results with the ground inside the
car.

Short ground to solid chassis.

The reason for this type of configuration: if the battery ground is
at 0.000 volts and there is a little resistance between its ground and
somewhere else in the body, say point X then a potential difference exists
and that causes current to flow (between the grounds).

Yep. If the amps are at
one ground point and the head unit at another ground point, again the
potential at these two points can differ slightly and cause a ground loop
flow which = noise.

The key word is CAN. Most of the time, around 95% in my experience, a good
chassis ground will yeild very positive results.

So, one ground point with a wire to each device is
best.

Why waste all of that time and money? Chassis grounds are fine, if they are
done right.

I agree with you Tony on segregating wires, especially DC supply wires.
Large DC currents flowing through a wire create magnetic fields around the
wire, which could interfere with the signal going through unshielded speaker
wires, and possibly induce currents in the shielding of signal wires.

Have you ever had that happen? After all of the installs I have done and seen
that has not been a problem. I have run my speaker lines in PA 100 feet right
along the same cable run going to a lighting truss. Zero problems. Now compare
that to the short distances and low power in a car and do you realistically
expect to have a problem?

followed the practice of separating DC,signal, and speaker wires on the
installation of an Alpine CDA-7995, a higher end unit, and the whole system
is dead quiet. As it should be.

Derek

It most likely would have been quiet running then all next too each other.
Every system I have had has been dead quiet too.

Les

Bill Pallies

I have run my speaker lines in PA 100 feet right
along the same cable run going to a lighting truss. Zero problems. Now

compare
that to the short distances and low power in a car and do you

realistically
expect to have a problem?

However, there is a definite good reason to separate the signal runs from
the power runs, yeah? I can see speakers not being affected as much as they
require real power to operate and thus a lot of induction for the noise to
be audible. But signal cable is at a much lower current and thus more
susceptible to induced noise. Correct me if I am wrong here.

These are the assumptions I made when I did my install, basically my speaker
wires and power run together in many places while my RCAs are kept separate.
Oh, and I made sure to buy the most expensive Monster Cable I could find
:-).

-Bill

Soundfreak03

However, there is a definite good reason to separate the signal runs from
the power runs, yeah? I can see speakers not being affected as much as they
require real power to operate and thus a lot of induction for the noise to
be audible. But signal cable is at a much lower current and thus more
susceptible to induced noise. Correct me if I am wrong here.]

But the signal cables are shielded are we are still talking relatively low
power in car audio. You would think that TAPING signal lines to the power going
to the amps would be noisy right? Nope quitest system I have ever heard (Self
powered boxes for those wondering why you would do that).
It is just not as big of a problem as people think.

These are the assumptions I made when I did my install, basically my speaker
wires and power run together in many places while my RCAs are kept separate.
Oh, and I made sure to buy the most expensive Monster Cable I could find
:-).

-Bill

Nothing wrong with it. Either way works. But running them together will likely
not cause any issues.

Les
Mark Zarella

Tony Fernandes wrote:
Mark Zarella wrote: "It can be a lot more work. You actually remove the
entire carpet?"

Hmmmm...no. Just basically pull it aside wherever necessary.

Doing it on both sides is double the work then. It's not always worth
it. Especially in cars that have access to plastic to run the wiring
through on one side but not the other.

Mark Zarella

However, there is a definite good reason to separate the signal runs from
the power runs, yeah?

Not really.

I can see speakers not being affected as much as they
require real power to operate and thus a lot of induction for the noise to
be audible. But signal cable is at a much lower current and thus more
susceptible to induced noise. Correct me if I am wrong here.

You're correct with what you've said above. However, even the signal
cables are unlikely to pick up enough noise for the effect to be
noticeable. There are other sources of noise that are more prominent.

Tony Fernandes

Mark Zarella wrote: "Doing it on both sides is double the work then. It's
not always worth it. Especially in cars that have access to plastic to run
the wiring through on one side but not the other."

I agree with what you're saying, however, we're talking about MY car...so
I'm willing to spend the extra time. I have several friends that have had
terrible experiences with installers not doing a thorough job. I've look at
what the installer did and thought, "I would NEVER have done it that way!!"
Now, maybe if I were an installer with a strict schedule, I would only do
the bare minimum and wouldn't worry about the extras unless a customer had a
problem.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that
he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we wouldn't
have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact

Tony Fernandes

Soundfreak03 wrote: "Nothing wrong with it. Either way works. But running
them together will likely not cause any issues."

I think "likely" is the key word here. The last several cars I've owned and
put anal-audiophile (the anal word courtesy of Mark) systems in, I have not
had to correct or fix a single installation problem for as long as I have
owned the cars. Once I have the seats out and all the trim removed and the
carpeting jumbled who-knows-where I can't even start the car (Nissan says
never to turn the key over with the seats removed due to side-impact
airbags, unless you want to pay the labor to have them reset the ECU). So I
didn't even have the luxury of testing the system until the car was
practically back together again. I like to do things right the first time.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that
he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we wouldn't
have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact

Mark Zarella

Tony Fernandes wrote:
Mark Zarella wrote: "Doing it on both sides is double the work then. It's
not always worth it. Especially in cars that have access to plastic to run
the wiring through on one side but not the other."

I agree with what you're saying, however, we're talking about MY car...so
I'm willing to spend the extra time. I have several friends that have had
terrible experiences with installers not doing a thorough job. I've look at
what the installer did and thought, "I would NEVER have done it that way!!"
Now, maybe if I were an installer with a strict schedule, I would only do
the bare minimum and wouldn't worry about the extras unless a customer had a
problem.

Extras are good if there's any benefit.

Soundfreak03

I think "likely" is the key word here. The last several cars I've owned and
put anal-audiophile (the anal word courtesy of Mark) systems in, I have not
had to correct or fix a single installation problem for as long as I have
owned the cars.

I have not either. And I have done more installs than I care to remember with
no problems. If you want to do it that way then thats fine by me.

Once I have the seats out and all the trim removed and the
carpeting jumbled who-knows-where I can't even start the car (Nissan says
never to turn the key over with the seats removed due to side-impact
airbags, unless you want to pay the labor to have them reset the ECU). So I
didn't even have the luxury of testing the system until the car was
practically back together again. I like to do things right the first time.

Tony

Why did you have to take the seats out?
But anyway, if you used decent components there shouldnt be any problems. I do
it right the first time too. And it doesnt involve me being anal about running
cables like that. But if you want to then thats fine, but noone can say that it
is the "right" way to do it when it is extraneous and 99% of the time will not
make an audible difference.

Les

Hektor Mesta

Tony,

I follow your advice and guess what? the noise is gone !!!!! I will try to take some pics of the installation and see if I can post them here .. what do you think?

--
Hektor "Wikked" Mesta
[...]

Brandon Buckner

Posting pics or other non-plain-text attachments to non-binary
newsgroups is gerally considered impolite at the very least. However, we
all love looking at pics of installs so if you can find a webserver to
host them, feel free to post as many links as you want! BTW,
Sounddomain.com is a good site for posting your pics on. You may see if
your ISP has free web space available as well.

Brandonb

wrote in message
[...]

Hektor Mesta

Thanks for the info !!! I really appreciated !
I'm almost done with the wiring process !! =)

--
Hektor "Wikked" Mesta

wrote in message
[...]

Hektor Mesta

Default ** Some Pics of My Current Installation **

So what do you think ? any ideas, suggestion, comments ?

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/447599

Mark Zarella

What's with the trend nowadays to keep the wires exposed? I used to go to great lengths to hide them, but I notice in recent installations I've seen people put them out there, and sometimes arrange them so they look "good".
"Hektor Mesta" wrote in message m...
So what do you think ? any ideas, suggestion, comments ?

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/447599

Hektor Mesta

This is my first installation and I could figure it out a way to hide the wires. any ideas ? suggestions?

--
Hektor "Wikked" Mesta
"In God we trust .. everybody else better have a firewall"
"Mark Zarella" wrote in message . ..
What's with the trend nowadays to keep the wires exposed? I used to go to great lengths to hide them, but I notice in recent installations I've seen people put them out there, and sometimes arrange them so they look "good".
"Hektor Mesta" wrote in message m...
So what do you think ? any ideas, suggestion, comments ?

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/447599

How can I be down

Late 80's it was cool to show power wires. I think truly these days it depends on the type of install you. I prefer a nice stealth sytem. I was told by a local installer, the trend these days is to go back to basic clean simple installs
"Hektor Mesta" wrote in message news This is my first installation and I could figure it out a way to hide the wires. any ideas ? suggestions?

--
Hektor "Wikked" Mesta
"In God we trust .. everybody else better have a firewall"
"Mark Zarella" wrote in message . ..
What's with the trend nowadays to keep the wires exposed? I used to go to great lengths to hide them, but I notice in recent installations I've seen people put them out there, and sometimes arrange them so they look "good".
"Hektor Mesta" wrote in message m...
So what do you think ? any ideas, suggestion, comments ?

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/447599

Dan D

I like.

Did you do the front door panels and tweeter mounts yourself? They
turned out really nice I'm curious as to how they were done, since
that's actally the kind of install I had in mind when I (eventually)
get around to fixing up my car properly!

chow,
Dan

"Hektor Mesta" wrote in message om...
So what do you think ? any ideas, suggestion, comments ?

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/447599

Wikked

Dan,

I pull the side panel out and went to business ! it was easy nothing really big !

--
Hektor "Wikked" Mesta